Go Brits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry, read it wrong. I read it as "The discovery channel decided to put the Lee-Enfield ahead of the M16 and AK-47, as best rifle of all time"

Compared to the contemporary military bolt action rifles of the two wars, Mosin Nagant, K98 and M1903, it has the smoothest action (=high rate of fire) and the largest magazine (10 round as opposed to 5 for the others.). It is technically not as secure at the mauser-pattern locks, but it's practically unnoticeable.

The K98 is good allround, having all the qualities a rifle need. An excellent firearm.

The Mosin Nagant it exactly what the Soviet Union needed: A cheap, functional rifle that didn't have any serious drawbacks. Kinda like the AK.

The M1903 is made on the same type of lock as the K98, a mauser pattern lock. Furthermore, the M1903 is known to be exceedingly accurate.

The discovery show seems to be focusing on innovation and service life in addition the effectiveness, handling, and accuracy. It is not comparing the rifles to each other, lest the newest firearms automatically get the top place. Just don't trust the facts too much, the show is very impressionistic.

I never liked the Enfield on CoD. I always swapped it for a Kark98 at the first chance I got :oops:

Cymro said:
I never liked the Enfield on CoD. I always swapped it for a Kark98 at the first chance I got :oops:

Why? I liked all the Bolt Action rifles in CoDII (haven't tried CoD, might be a different game.). The SMLE in CoDII had a peep-hole rear sight which in real life it much easier to align than post-and-notch types on K98's and Nagant's.

Best rifle ever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rk_95

to quote the article:
"It is considered to be the best AK-47 variant in the world by many experts, due to the superior quality of materials and workmanship"

Loved firing that almost as much as the PKM. Almost.

Agreed, Worbah: If I were to go for any rifle without having to consider getting ammo in the field, the Rk-95 would be very high on the list.

Finns seem to have a knack for warfare, the worlds greatest sniper was a Finn - and he shot from Iron sights! :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

Worbah said:
Best rifle ever:

to quote the article:
"It is considered to be the best AK-47 variant in the world by many experts, due to the superior quality of materials and workmanship"

Only thing it doesn't have is rails...

While I hate guns, I can tell you I agree about the AK.

I've fired the, and watched them be fired more times than I can count.

They will fire, no matter what is done to them. Stick it in mud, sand, dirt, fire, ****e, water, it will shoot when you're done. And a constant rate of fire as well.

There's a line from Lord of War that fits them best:

"It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do."

It doesn't get much more unnerving than seeing a fifteen year old kid shooting at someone. Especially if it's you.

sneakey pete said:
Worbah said:
Best rifle ever:

to quote the article:

Only thing it does have is rails...

what do you need? a coffee maker?

Seff said:
Why? I liked all the Bolt Action rifles in CoDII (haven't tried CoD, might be a different game.). The SMLE in CoDII had a peep-hole rear sight which in real life it much easier to align than post-and-notch types on K98's and Nagant's.
I preferred the shape of the (flat) sights on the Kark as opposed to the (round) sights on the Enfield. I'm fairly sure that would have killed me on a battlefield :razz:

Cymro said:
Seff said:
I preferred the shape of the (flat) sights on the Kark as opposed to the (round) sights on the Enfield. I'm fairly sure that would have killed me on a battlefield :razz:

Well I don't know, but the peephole is easier to align than the notch, two elements of concentration instead of three. I really like the sights on a Garand/M14 - and there's another weapon that will keep working in very adverse conditions.

I just like the fact that the Enfield has a 10-round mag (of powerful .303) and that you can reload it with two fives instead of one ten.

The sniper-variants picked for accuracy are oustandingly accurate.

Buxton said:
I just like the fact that the Enfield has a 10-round mag (of powerful .303) and that you can reload it with two fives instead of one ten.

The sniper-variants picked for accuracy are outstandingly accurate.

Every sniper-variant of any weapon is outstandingly accurate - why would you use it as a sniper if it wasn't?

As in - the standards are pegged very high.

But also apparently, the SA80 is so accurate, the alreadly high expectations of the British army marksman's test had to be increased!

Back
Top Bottom