Elite: Dangerous

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Vader

Duhpressed
Duke
Elite was one of the first games I have played, and one of the most exciting at the time.
David Braben, one of the two original developers, tried to revive the old Elite with Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters during the 90s, but they were both incomplete, buggy attempts.

Now he's at it again. Will he succeed in a market pretty much covered by Eve Online and X?
Does he have anything new to add after practically inventing the genre?

Kickstarter link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

He's at 345K out of 1250K pounds at the moment (and slowing down), with not much to say or show at the moment - we can only hope for updates and at least some concept art.

When this popped up on Reddit, the first comment was a 5 paragraph detail of how this guy ****ed his partner by kicking him from the original Elite project and suing him for offering a free download from a website. The post was removed, and I haven't seen anything about it since. Any more info on the dramas?  :grin:

Seems like horrible timing on his part, star citizen is getting all the space sim pledges. Plus this thing has no video or anything so I don't see it getting very far without some proof of concept or something.

Edit : Apparently video going up tomorrow, not sure why they would launch without it.

It's been launched for a few days, even the BBC had an article on it.

I don't got to BBC for video games news unfortunately :sad:

Or go to BBC for that matter since I am not in the UK. I just think this is poorly timed with star citizen on the same site, especially since star citizen seems further in their devolpment and has already raised over 3m.

Somehow I doubt those "eight galaxies each with 256 star systems" were very rich with detail.  :razz:

All I can imagine from that is something like the Freelancer.

All systems had one planet and one dockable station, if it had any at all.

And it looked *****in'.

FDs5o.png
pznTC.png
Cd6ir.png
YgD55.png

Now at 478/1250K pounds with 10700 backers - still doesn't look like it could make it, will need about 25000-30000 backers for that.

In case you missed it, there are now two videos and some concept art. The first video is a fairly comprehensive treatment of what are they trying to achieve, the second is about procedural world generation, something that should differentiate the game from others.

I have mixed feelings about proc. gen., once you figure out all the variants, the huge world it generates gets pretty much flat. I prefer the X universe with its custom systems.
Of course, there is also Dwarf Fortress and even Civilization-type games where it mostly works.

I guess it could also work in a space sim by providing emergent gameplay. For example, if there are agricultural and anarchy systems very close to each other, the agricultural system might be under constant pirate raids from the anarchy system. If the player can influence that dynamics by eradicating the pirate threat or alternatively imposing a permanent criminal presence in the agricultural system, that would be just great.

Wat? They were 100K down just few days ago. It's incredible they did raise all of 1.4M pounds!
I think when they saw that this is going nowhere fast, they got people to upgrade their pledges by buying their way to an advantageous MP start. This helped a lot. But what happened in the last days is a mystery to me.

Edit: Finished with £1,578,316. That's a lot.
Hopefully the game won't be buggy and unfinished because they want to cram all kinds of features they can't pay for. It should be out at the same time Bannerlord comes out.

Aaand they made it to alpha combat test, released today for high-end backers.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130481-Elite-Dangerous-Combat-Alpha-Test-Begins-Today

Apparently they gave a lot of love to cockpit immersion (dashboard reflections, head movement on impact and acceleration... even Oculus Rift support), but some people dislike this and want only a functional GUI.
The release date of March 2014 looks unachievable now and I hope they'll communicate this to the backers. Above all, they'll also need to find more money, as they likely need something like nine months to make a polished game. It doesn't bode well that Braben is a fantasist that can't work within a budget and with deadlines.

Back
Top Bottom