ORDERS, Formations & CROUCHING

Users who are viewing this thread

Murat ÖZCAN said:
Will there be battle formations in new version of this mod?

The games (this, 1776 and 1755) only have 1 person doing the moding for now, and  Gaby is away on vacation for now so you will have to be a bit patient to get your answer.  :smile:

Geredis said:
Hey everyone.

I was just wondering, but what's everyone's favoured use of cavalry?  Do you mostly use them in the historically conventional manner, as dismounted infantry, or do you actually keep your horsemen mounted through the entire battle and use them in the usual fashion, as a thundering shock force?

I mostly ask since I'm trying to figure out an actual, effective, use of cavalry in this mod.  The horses themselves are too fragile to really be an effective carrier of men amongst the ranks...steel cuts through cloth far too easily (not that this is a problem, on either account!).

Thus, I've mostly found myself fighting with my cavalry as a dragoons force; using their speed and mobility on the campaign map to go where I wish.  And that's about the only purpose of their horses.  Now, this dismounting and fighting as dismounted infantry works great for rifle- and carbine-armed horsemen.  But it doesn't work at all for the raiding cavalry, the partisans, militia, etc etc that you get from the Settlers and Frontiers.  I was just wondering, but any suggestions on what the hell I should do with these men that obviously need to get in close, while mounted, to engage the enemy due to their equipment...but their training (especially with one-handed weapons) is lacklustre enough that you're just throwing these redshirts away.

George A. Custer said:
My use of Cavalry:

Cavalry can only make a succesfull sabre-charge when it has a small distance to cover before reaching the enemy, also preferable somewhere where their line is thin, If your cavalry needs to charge through a vast open ground, they will take heavy casualties before reaching the enemy,

Dismount and fire, Drive your enemey crazy by dismounting, firing, mounting changing spot, dismounting again, firing.. and so on and so on, since the carbine is less accurate, it has a dissadvantge VS regular infantry, So  it is better to change spot regularly, As cavlry you have the advantge of speed (obviously) so use it!

Another + point of cavalry are colts, they are  very very nice for close combat. Also when dismounted you automatically have cover, It may sound awfull, but your horse is actually good cover. (until it dies) =)

Urgrevling said:
I really like this mod and although the Singleplayer version is unfinished, I find it enjoyable. I made this thread to share tips about tactics.

My tips:

Swedish tactics: Tell your men to hold their fire, creep up close and give the enemy a good volley. They will hopefully discharge their weapons while your men are far away. You might try draw their fire yourself if you're feeling lucky. Then either charge or let your men keep firing. Works sometimes if you have the same number of men as the enemy or more.

Use the terrain to your advantage. Let your men fire a volley, tell them to hold their fire, retreat behind a hill and order them to fire at will. They'll reload and be ready for another go. Alternatively, set up behind a hill and let the enemy come to you.  They'll hopefully come a few at a time, so you'll have more guns firing at any time.

Sometimes you'll find palisades and towers on the battlefield. Leading your men up into a tower is almost futile, but you can set them up behind a palisade. Some cover is better than no cover; at the battle of Fredericksburg a low stone wall helped the Confederates hold back the Army of the Potomac and win the battle. Some of your men may get stuck in front of the wall. Probably less viable if you have a large army.

General Awesome said:
Volly Fire!
Divide your infantry into two squads, place 1 squad on a hill, the other right above it. I'm not sure if it helps, but it looks better and iff the Devs ever implemented a "crouch" command it could be used on level ground.
TMAN78 said:
Also i dont think crouching will be put in this mod, theres no need for it realy.
No need for crouching!? NO NEED FOR CROUCHING?!  :eek: Crouching is vital to avoid being shot! Do like being shot? What's easier to hit, a small crouching target or a big standing target? Crouching is needed.you

EDIT BY GABBY
I added CROUCHING to this mod
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,225817.0.html
...and u can have ur troops crouching when they are ordered to HOLD position. After a while, they will crouch.
Some Sniper Rifles will have a FIXED position of shooting, on your knees.
But is unconfortable if u have a medium height cover, cuz u can t see!  :shock:
So I will probably only keep ONE of the Sniper rifle that way.
If u want ur troops to shoot and stand, with NO crouching, just order HOLD ur ground orCHARGE.
They will shoot from distance and will not run or crouch.

-If u want to make them run then order HOLD FIRE, and then CHARGE.

-Every time u want them to run fast to another position, or want them to follow u IMMEDIATELY, u should order the HOLD FIRE and STAND CLOSER, always (hit this order many times, 5/7. So they will GROUP a lot).

-Order ADVANCE TEN PACES if u want them to move more in a line and at the same spees, like a FORMATION. Do that many times, if u want a longer distance.

-Same thing BACKWARDS

- STEALTH walking can be done if u order HOLD POSITION to ur troops, and then send them to another place, or ask hold position again. They will crouch again when reaching the new position.
To make them stand up, order HOLD FIRE. 

Troops CHEER and TEASE now, they do not just stand there like puppets!

ETC ETC

I LOVE how battles come out now, but I have few time now to write more about this, but JOE, BB, or any GOOD Tester of 0.95, can post new comments on it.

If any player has questions, pls ask  :wink:

Gabby

I added CROUCHING to this mod and u can have ur troops crouching when they are ordered to HOLD position. After a while, they will crouch.
Some Sniper Rifles will have a FIXED position of shooting, on your knees.
But is unconfortable if u have a medium height cover, cuz u can t see!  :shock:
So I will probably only keep ONE of the Sniper rifle that way.
If u want ur troops to shoot and stand, with NO crouching, just order HOLD ur ground orCHARGE.
They will shoot from distance and will not run or crouch.

-If u want to make them run then order HOLD FIRE, and then CHARGE.

-Every time u want them to run fast to another position, or want them to follow u IMMEDIATELY, u should order the HOLD FIRE and STAND CLOSER, always (hit this order many times, 5/7. So they will GROUP a lot).

-Order ADVANCE TEN PACES if u want them to move more in a line and at the same spees, like a FORMATION. Do that many times, if u want a longer distance.

-Same thing BACKWARDS

- STEALTH walking can be done if u order HOLD POSITION to ur troops, and then send them to another place, or ask hold position again. They will crouch again when reaching the new position.
To make them stand up, order HOLD FIRE. 

Troops CHEER and TEASE now, they do not just stand there like puppets!

ETC ETC

I LOVE how battles come out now, but I have few time now to write more about this.

SO: ..if  JOE, BB, or any GOOD Tester of my last version, can post new comments on it.  :razz:

If any player has questions, pls ask  :wink:

Gabby

It would make the mod better when anybody could bring the formations from fire and sword (or from mod) into this mod, you know? Then we could make great Linebattles in sp (like in NW)
Anyone knows how to make it?

Edit: Like this:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,142816.msg3430191.html#msg3430191
volley fire is included.

Hah....I forgot about this old Topic that I made.
And...hey Harley...last post of urs here was about that Formations thing that U helped me to implement...remember??!!  :mrgreen:

So much better to play with that now, expecially with ACW troops!  :cool:

Ok...I found these Vids from an oriental nice guy...but he uses NO Strategy at all...and always ends up DEAD on battlefields.
My son laughed so hard that he cried.  :mrgreen:
He loves this vid, the guy is so funny and clumbsy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkVKgiUjwo0

But once again...DO NOT FIGHT like he does...
Use strategy and stay AWAY from shooters...or U will die soon!  :twisted:

Gab

Back
Top Bottom