Author Topic: Anti-Humanism Thread  (Read 5756 times)

Úlfr

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
Anti-Humanism Thread
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
i tought that i wanted too hear you guys opinion on an Anti-Humanism vieaw of life.

Anti-humanism is interesting reading and, quite a complex way of expressing the age old truth that we are no more or less special than any other life form. Simply another type of organism in the intricate ecological web of Gaia. Admittedly, modern humans are a species that seems to struggle to find the meaning of life and live in harmony with everything else. As far as I can tell, an acute idiosyncratic awareness of self, the ‘seeking’ urge, and technology are the only things that set us apart from other animals.

So, given that we are basically animals on Earth and our collective actions continue to, sadly, wreak more environmental havoc than any other species… why do we think we have the right to persecute and deal out blanket death sentences to introduced/unwanted animals and plants (aka pest species)? By definition, humans are a pest species. I would argue that those animals and plants have consciousness, a right to life and a part to play in this new ecology just as we do. There is no doubt that humans have brought about irrevocable ecological change. But all is not lost. Let’s get our act together first and trust that nature is an intelligent, dynamic, self-regulating system that will find a new balance with our compassionate support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihumanism

is a set of ideas, beliefs, and practices in the realm of social theory and philosophy which respond critically to traditional humanism or to traditional ideas about humanity and the human condition.
Central to antihumanism is the view that concepts of "human nature", "man", or "humanity", should be rejected as historically relative or metaphysical.

Antihumanism is not, actually, a term for generalized misanthropy; it refers to the philosophical perspective which rejects humanism's elevation of human beings to a special metaphysical level of existence compared to the rest of reality. Antihumanism opposes abstract concepts of "man", "humanity" and "human nature" and posits that humans are not rationally autonomous subjects.

in short "Anti-Humanism is the belief that we are just like animals. Only through technology do we excel past the rest of the animal kingdom."

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:17:56 PM by Úlfr »

Orion

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Marnid, Captain America 2010, 2012
    • Steam - mistermac
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Marnid
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
Re: Anti-Humanism Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:31:30 AM »
I would argue that those animals and plants have consciousness, a right to life and a part to play in this new ecology just as we do.

Can't wait to see how this thread develops. :lol:

Also, there are two typos in your sig. It's "believe," not "belive."

Quote from: Magorian Aximand
I can happy lettuce pimp, but island dick be ******* on game your face.

Kevlar

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Premier of The People's Republic of Chaikas
    • Steam - nksharp
    • Twitch.tv - nksharp
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »
Technology didn't just happen though, we created it. Not our fault an ape sheep can't make an ipod....even though he could use one.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:41:48 AM by Kevlar »
Find a new avatar you are not scaring anyone.

Argeus the Paladin

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Byzantine/TLD/PoP Fanboy
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WB
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »
Humans aren't special compared to other animals. We just happen to be at the top of the food chain.

Ambalon

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Ek veit einn, at aldri deyr: dómr um dauðan hvern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:34:45 AM »
Humans aren't special compared to other animals. We just happen to be at the top of the food chain.
Therefore, we are special.
Humanity, **** yeah!
**** the xenos, **** the non-human! Burn the heretic, kill the mutant, purge the unclean!
The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill
a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.                                                                                                                                      
Gold is for the mistress
Silver for the maid
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
But iron - cold iron - is master of them all

Argeus the Paladin

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »
Therefore, we are special.
Humanity, **** yeah!
**** the xenos, **** the non-human! Burn the heretic, kill the mutant, purge the unclean!

My point exactly. Seems like my sarcasm went undetected.

*prepares to sneak attack for 30x damage*

Pharaoh Llandy

• The unofficial official storyteller
  • Global Moderator
  • Look over there
    • View Profile
  • M&B
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
We just happen to be at the top of the food chain.

Not really. It depends on where you go. A surfer in shark-infested waters isn't at the top of the food chain, neither is an unarmed tribesman in the African Savanna. I could continue with a dozen other examples. Simply put, humans are not apex predators like sharks, lions, tigers, etc, are. The very fact that we're omnivores, and cannot kill/eat our food without using created tools, proves this.

Top of the intelligence chain, perhaps, but that's an entirely different thing.
They wanted to have a good time, but they were like children playing in the street; they could see one after another of them being killed -- run over, maimed, destroyed -- but they continued to play anyhow. We really all were very happy for a while, sitting around not toiling but just bullshitting and playing, but it was for such a terribly brief time, and then the punishment was beyond belief; even when we could see it, we could not believe it.

Argeus the Paladin

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
We just happen to be at the top of the food chain.

Not really. It depends on where you go. A surfer in shark-infested waters isn't at the top of the food chain, neither is an unarmed tribesman in the African Savanna. I could continue with a dozen other examples. Simply put, humans are not apex predators like sharks, lions, tigers, etc, are. The very fact that we're omnivores, and cannot kill/eat our food without using created tools, proves this.

Top of the intelligence chain, perhaps, but that's an entirely different thing.

I actually mean it in a looser sense of the word. Humanity itself is on top of the food chain, in that there is no animal however large and fierce and armed-to-the-teeth by nature we cannot, as a society/community, hunt down and eat/process into shiny products. Sure, a surfer in shark-infested waters is not by himself at the top of the food chain, but tell that to a wolfpack of nuclear submarines armed with anti-everything-in-the-water nuke torpedoes of doomy doom. Similar with the African savannah and one of Rommel's panzer division*.

* Provided, of course, they didn't run out of fuel and/or supplies and/or were encircled, but I'm on a tangent thar. :lol:

pewpew

• Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
hail xenu
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Pharaoh Llandy

• The unofficial official storyteller
  • Global Moderator
  • Look over there
    • View Profile
  • M&B
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »

I actually mean it in a looser sense of the word. Humanity itself is on top of the food chain, in that there is no animal however large and fierce and armed-to-the-teeth by nature we cannot, as a society/community, hunt down and eat/process into shiny products.

Then what about the very very tiny deadly creatures we can't hunt down and destroy? Mosquitoes, for example, indirectly kill more people each year through passing on the malaria virus than any large predator. Ticks spread Lymes disease. Back in ye olden days, the population of Europe was devastated by the Black Plague, spread by fleas carried by rats and domestic animals.

They wanted to have a good time, but they were like children playing in the street; they could see one after another of them being killed -- run over, maimed, destroyed -- but they continued to play anyhow. We really all were very happy for a while, sitting around not toiling but just bullshitting and playing, but it was for such a terribly brief time, and then the punishment was beyond belief; even when we could see it, we could not believe it.

Argeus the Paladin

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
Valid points. Though to be fair no other animal or plants could actively combat diseases as well as man does and to such dramatic results given enough time - just look at how many diseases we've eradicated since the 20h century. I'm willing to bet that there'd be a day that most common bacteria/virii will be as much Man's biotch as the rest of the animal kingdom.

Gamerwiz

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Fitting, eh?
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Gamerwiz
  • M&BWB
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 10:19:24 AM »
Also, there are two typos in your sig. It's "believe," not "belive."
Well, since you brought it up, there's actually 4:
''Dont Don't belive believe in God, Belive believe in youreself yourself.''