Comments: 3.0 Released

Users who are viewing this thread

I have played a couple of hours and I'm really enjoying it so far. Best Japan mod I've played. Once its finished, refined, polished and expanded it will be really great  :grin:

Ohh boy. I've collected a lot of resources and references for Japanese architecture for the general period. Gonna try to avoid bringing in stuff that began in the Edo period, but English language sources for some stuff is too sparse. I could barely find pics or illustrations of Sengoku castles that weren't those big towering keeps modeled after Azuchi, and I'm not entirely sure some of the gassho-zukuri village houses are period-appropriate either. Oh well, I did say this wasn't a historical simulator

I've made okay progress on one farmhouse mesh as well--obviously there's so much more for me to do :razz:. I could probably increase my output by making all the buildings I need in Valve Hammer, since I'm primarily an HL1/HL2 mapper, then export them as .obj to do finishing touches (like a lot of optimization).

Here's one of the references I'm using for a keep:
kakegawa.jpg
It's actually anachronistic, since it dates from 1611, during the early Edo period. But the type is iconic, and good references are hard to come by, alas.

This one's one of the types of castles actually available during the early to mid Sengoku period:
shigisan.jpg
The ornate-looking keeps of the style exemplified by the first pic were only introduced by Oda Nobunaga when he built Azuchi castle in 1576. It's kind of like the progression in Europe from the simple wooden motte and bailey castles that eventually evolved into stone behemoths like Pembroke Castle

@phlpp:

Honestly I doubt anyone would be against you using the ornate-looking castles because a)not much people actually know/care about Japan's historical architecture, and b)they're pretty. :smile:

Sethaniel said:
@phlpp:

Honestly I doubt anyone would be against you using the ornate-looking castles because a)not much people actually know/care about Japan's historical architecture, and b)they're pretty. :smile:

+1

Looks like you are getting some sponsoring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFASJd0ddns&feature=plcp&ytsession=Ya9R7zZwXsqc5gtN4DsmsN4vr_auLgGSkk_9xqj3VOdPi7PG1GGibfBAeoXdgzqX9B4AZf-eLn1Z020wKVXj8O6kL_y9uh8VEVfL0KX2zqspvmiNNnNIjsfK_7dCT4lc6qRkzpWENuO8f-1_MW3LPRlKC7n8zZ7INcjqe990TnwOhZr-fFJlh3QMkS-ncyxtVAVHFgb8MBmYevhl6Pz8ChtzjVH5Lq0td54TMcKIecgdiIB79_3kH-1RRaCdtqUm-_47CkVH_mMLb-9C1tq3wFFUzd0cFDgh7ozai8noZx563LrngtpWIPNA6eUQvW2eoMl4GI0IDaosPq5U3hbAPSeVnvCgzaC5pY1Xpwtup1jqBB1uzUGJRDh82nsdEBbUcmVGzO4aEzmR2VSnLcCeTL9GGaAUzr6QhUmeP1mwHYXa0AXoohT8LhpeO_R80xzV-ckhpn949gmodSfnIuEkXsAqOF6vxkMm3tpsqOXkHdLoigjukhWXs0IdAdOvWDvmZEFV4OUHFlOueuesSVew7oksaFpu0pBiPxLWcVLRBXgP3N8gLkkCdi6x60xTbopDO2xEV6HBSvsmVbgr74Wf2avx0B6ppK-HpdoAqByzGYLD2I6Y_fH3Jia_Xzj5sJvQ
:grin:
Edit - WHY IS THAT LINK 200 MILLION LETTERS LONG? xD

This actually looks very cool, I'm not big on Japanese culture, but I thought for a while that with M&B's Feudal mechanics in play already, and much respect for making it more accessible to people like me, I'll probably give this a try.

Aha I'll be honest, I have no clear idea how I ended up making a mod in this setting as opposed to any other setting. As far as history is concerned, I actually prefer the near east during the axial age and 19th century Europe. As far as Japanese history is concerned, I actually prefer their 19th century history as well, during the Bakumatsu period and the Meiji restoration. I guess I just had an itch to play a samurai game after rewatching GI Samurai and Hara-Kiri one night and couldn't find one I liked. "Oh well, better make one then"

The thing I absolutely love about this mod, is that it completely changes the gameplay. There's no longer jump on the horse, couch, cover behind the shield pattern. Archery have immerse impact on battle and when it comes to waving around with huge swords, it just gets better :grin:

Was besieged for the first time today, to hell with my defeat and losing more than half of companions, not mentioning whole army - it was so much pure fun!
May I adore you?

I like this mod.  It has a great map, great new items, and just enough changed and added to gameplay to make it better than vanilla.  I was just wondering if there were any plans to change the animations?  I know Shogun changed the animations and they were nice (I doubt the creator of Shogun will let you use his animations though), made the attacks seem more period specific.  Was just wondering.

Whew, I'm making a ton of progress on my next update so far. Here's a couple of quick shots before i go to sleep:

rc2-progress-1.jpg

First of all, It bothered me that I only have 2 low level armors, and that they're both too dark. I'm still gonna add more low level armors in the future, but in the meantime I also made plenty of color variations and color-coded the low level ashigaru (the ones you recruit from the villages) and bandit units. They all no longer all look practically the same, and the brighter colors also change the atmosphere somewhat. I also changed the color variations of the existing armor to be more bright as well, and less subdued -- I rewatched Kagemusha a couple of days ago, to "get in the mood" for modding, and I realized I goofed and made the samurai too drab

Also notice that I improved the conical hat model by adding a simple chinstrap and a headcloth. I'm especially glad I finally added the headcloth, because it looked weird to me that the characters turned bald when they put the sugegasa and jingasa on. I also did a lot of minor improvements like this to most of the other existing armor models, but most of them are subtle

Other minor changes:

I fixed some errors where some units don't spawn with the primary weapon they should have (like some Yari Monks only having Wakizashis, or "Spearmen" having kamas instead of spears).

I renamed faction heads to be even more easy to identify. They're Great Lord instead of just Lord. I differentiated them before by adding "of (whatever province they came from)", but that turned out to be unsatisfying because they still had the same titles as their vassals.

I also renamed some of the samurai units so it is much more clear what you're getting: Tier 1 and 2 remain Kosho and Bushi (generic squire/page and man-at-arms respectively); Higher-tier basic units (aka ones that don't have Veteran or Elite) also remain the same, because they are supposed to have an eclectic choice of weaponry; But Veteran units and above now list their specialty (like Veteran Naginata Infantry or Elite Yari Cavalry). It should no longer be a pain to build the kind of army you want -- do you want lancers? or horse archers? Now you can find out more easily

Now for the future of the mod:

rc2-progress-2.jpg

Making good progress on the buildings (those aren't the final textures for that particular one). I might release the next version with native castles, but the towns and villages should all be Japanese by then.

I might also start integrating mods I like into the next version. First one off the top of my head that I want is Freelancer. Probably not gonna add Diplomacy and instead write my own fief management system.

I'm keeping the faction count the same, but I'm probably going to double the number of lords, ladies, cities, castles, towns, and villages. I have such a big map, I don't want to waste all that space! I counted how much were in Brytenwalda and realized I should have just as much. I should count Prophesy of Pendor, etc, to see how much they have. I wanna know how far I can push the M&B engine...

Bushi means warrior :razz:.

also: Ashigaru actually looked really the same from most clans the daimyo's didn't bothered to give the ashigaru better armor or brighter.
armors were very rarely bright mostly because they would stand out during night attacks. so dark armors were preferred.

the sanada for example atleast put some effort into giving the ashigaru good armor, the ashigaru are covered all over with plates which protect them and they got a helmet(lower tier samurai helmet)

phlpp said:
Whew, I'm making a ton of progress on my next update so far. Here's a couple of quick shots before i go to sleep:

rc2-progress-1.jpg

First of all, It bothered me that I only have 2 low level armors, and that they're both too dark. I'm still gonna add more low level armors in the future, but in the meantime I also made plenty of color variations and color-coded the low level ashigaru (the ones you recruit from the villages) and bandit units. They all no longer all look practically the same, and the brighter colors also change the atmosphere somewhat. I also changed the color variations of the existing armor to be more bright as well, and less subdued -- I rewatched Kagemusha a couple of days ago, to "get in the mood" for modding, and I realized I goofed and made the samurai too drab

Also notice that I improved the conical hat model by adding a simple chinstrap and a headcloth. I'm especially glad I finally added the headcloth, because it looked weird to me that the characters turned bald when they put the sugegasa and jingasa on. I also did a lot of minor improvements like this to most of the other existing armor models, but most of them are subtle

Other minor changes:

I fixed some errors where some units don't spawn with the primary weapon they should have (like some Yari Monks only having Wakizashis, or "Spearmen" having kamas instead of spears).

I renamed faction heads to be even more easy to identify. They're Great Lord instead of just Lord. I differentiated them before by adding "of (whatever province they came from)", but that turned out to be unsatisfying because they still had the same titles as their vassals.

I also renamed some of the samurai units so it is much more clear what you're getting: Tier 1 and 2 remain Kosho and Bushi (generic squire/page and man-at-arms respectively); Higher-tier basic units (aka ones that don't have Veteran or Elite) also remain the same, because they are supposed to have an eclectic choice of weaponry; But Veteran units and above now list their specialty (like Veteran Naginata Infantry or Elite Yari Cavalry). It should no longer be a pain to build the kind of army you want -- do you want lancers? or horse archers? Now you can find out more easily

Now for the future of the mod:

rc2-progress-2.jpg

Making good progress on the buildings (those aren't the final textures for that particular one). I might release the next version with native castles, but the towns and villages should all be Japanese by then.

I might also start integrating mods I like into the next version. First one off the top of my head that I want is Freelancer. Probably not gonna add Diplomacy and instead write my own fief management system.

I'm keeping the faction count the same, but I'm probably going to double the number of lords, ladies, cities, castles, towns, and villages. I have such a big map, I don't want to waste all that space! I counted how much were in Brytenwalda and realized I should have just as much. I should count Prophesy of Pendor, etc, to see how much they have. I wanna know how far I can push the M&B engine...

Game insta crash after the next update xD jk. I like the changes though everything is looking awesome :grin:

Back
Top Bottom