Dragoons are getting ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Thokan said:
damonkey said:
[me=damonkey]was going to input a suggestion, but realises that removing firing from horseback seems "extreme" to the "community"[/me]

Meh. People just like to cling to their nubby horseback-firing instead of having a interesting and versitile game.
And an interesting and versatile game is what? Pure Bayonet melee? 

Angelus Lapsus Revan said:
Thokan said:
damonkey said:
[me=damonkey]was going to input a suggestion, but realises that removing firing from horseback seems "extreme" to the "community"[/me]

Meh. People just like to cling to their nubby horseback-firing instead of having a interesting and versitile game.
And an interesting and versatile game is what? Pure Bayonet melee?

No, you misinterpret, Revan. What I meant was that I deem mounted infantry-play from the dragoons instead of goon drivebys would be far more interesting gameplay-wise.

Talii said:
Thokan said:
damonkey said:

If anything, Firing from horseback adds to the versatility by giving dragoons a chance to take on infantry.

The ability to fire from horseback doesnt up the chances any bit. Just the troll-level. I'd say it were to be much easier to dismount and fire. Or use your damned sword. Dragoons actually got those, like the rest of the cav.

"goon drivebys" are interesting gameplay-wise......Makes you have to always be aware of what is around you......and if you do see a Dragoon riding up on you then here comes the challenge on whether you'll be able to dodge it....or get shot.

Dragoon chasing another Cavalryman is fun too....I love being chased by Dragoons.....I have to always make my moves unpredictable so he has a hard time trying to kill me.

And if you are some Infantryman fighting another Infantryman and then all of sudden get shot in the back by a Dragoon....Well....That's just the game, and also a bad part on whoever gets shot in the back for not being aware of their surroundings.

"goon drivebys" are interesting gameplay-wise......Makes you have to always be aware of what is around you......and if you do see a Dragoon riding up on you then here comes the challenge on whether you'll be able to dodge it....or get shot.

Dragoon chasing another Cavalryman is fun too....I love being chased by Dragoons.....I have to always make my moves unpredictable so he has a hard time trying to kill me.

And if you are some Infantryman fighting another Infantryman and then all of sudden get shot in the back by a Dragoon....Well....That's just the game, and also a bad part on whoever gets shot in the back for not being aware of their surroundings.

The thing is, it's disgruntling. It may be interesting, although as playing the lottery. There is too much chance involved.

Gameplay where one part dont have to put much effort at all in and still have a high chance of killing you 'cause of the randomness that is firing from horseback, while the other part has to put in a lot of effort just to have a less than decent chance to survive, does not make for interesting gameplay, imo.

Thokan said:
Gameplay where one part dont have to put much effort at all in and still have a high chance of killing you 'cause of the randomness that is firing from horseback, while the other part has to put in a lot of effort just to have a less than decent chance to survive, does not make for interesting gameplay, imo.

I think you've just described the entire Musket-era experience. How is a dragoon any different from an infantryman in that regard?

And at the very least the goon cannot climb a rock or barricade inside a belltower or on top of a roof.

If infantry was actually given a good weapon to counter cav like pikes there would be no problem. Currently there is nothing to counter Calvary.

tomtucker said:
Currently there is nothing to counter Calvary.

Please...just play the game first before saying that...

And Draggons are just normal cav but with a gun.

Just dodge and when they get close staby staby! Or just shoot them before they shoot you :grin:

Cavalry is meant to be a challenge, and the game is perfect with the current state of cavalry. A cavalry guy who knows to work is deadly, and an infantry man who knows how to kill cavalry is deadly, you just have to learn.

Pelgrane said:
Thokan said:

I think you've just described the entire Musket-era experience. How is a dragoon any different from an infantryman in that regard?

And at the very least the goon cannot climb a rock or barricade inside a belltower or on top of a roof.

The distance. You have no choice about the distance when it comes to dragoons.

I really don't see the point of taking public playing seriously,
as people on these servers hardly if ever care or upphold any set of standards.
It's an exercise in frustration, nothing else.

If you're an infantry man, play on groupfighting or siege servers, if you're a cav or skirmish player, stick to your own regiment servers.
There is really no point in caring about the quality of regular public play, it's phecked by default.

Shortshorts said:

If you're an infantry man, play on groupfighting or siege servers, if you're a cav or skirmish player, stick to your own regiment servers.
There is really no point in caring about the quality of regular public play, it's phecked by default.

On the contrary, EU1 Is fun because it is quite the opposite to Linebattles. This is why I, and probably more people, play on it.

Jordan_The_Noble said:
Stop your crying and kill them, it's meant to be a challenge you dimwit..
^ What this smart person said.
Yes, why we don't add the feature which will kill one random player every 15 seconds, it will be challenging to stay alive therefor it's good for interesting gameplay.  :roll:

Firing from horseback have always been impossible to balance in Warband, you either got useless class which has only one purpose (to annoy people) or you get far overpowered class which slaughters everything in its way.
Removing firing from horseback while buffing dragoons athletics and 1h skill would turn them into mounted infantry which would be far better than useless class they are now (or turning them into medium cav).

Shortshorts said:

Alas, it is on the public servers you find the veterans of this game. If there is no point to anything, it really is no point in isolating yourself on a groupfighting-server or regiment server. Imo, it is too narrow-minded to be any qualitive or give you any real progression.

Oposum said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:
Stop your crying and kill them, it's meant to be a challenge you dimwit..
^ What this smart person said.
Yes, why we don't add the feature which will kill one random player every 15 seconds, it will be challenging to stay alive therefor it's good for interesting gameplay.  :roll:

Firing from horseback have always been impossible to balance in Warband, you either got useless class which has only one purpose (to annoy people) or you get far overpowered class which slaughters everything in its way.
Removing firing from horseback while buffing dragoons athletics and 1h skill would turn them into mounted infantry which would be far better than useless class they are now (or turning them into medium cav).

Oposum said it.

Jordan_The_Noble said:
The simple way to somewhat make this more real would be to have the horses move after gun fire, like they are scared.

Warhorses were trained to recognize the different sounds of Combat, such as screaming men, Musket-fire and Artillery. They would not act like that.

Oposum said:

I fail to see how firing from horseback, in its current state, is unbalanced.
The Cavalry Carbine is much worse then the Infantry Musket, The Cavalry Musket is more or less the same, and Dragoons will always pose a bigger target then Infantry. They can also not go into buildings, hide behind rubble as easy or climb obstacles in the same way Infantry can. With the public playstyle, or rather playstyles, referring to anything that is not organised groups of players in formations fighting eachother, Dragoons do not need balancing.

Infantry pose less of a target, They have either Better Ranged capalilities(Jägers), Have acess to a Bayonet(Line), or Both(Light).

If you want to "Balance" Dragoons in Public play, Nerf the Bayonet.

When it comes to Linebattles, The skill of the participants, their leader and how well these elements cooperate will determine the outcome, not Weapon and Horse Stats. Thus, I'll leave this area open for debate.

Talii said:
Oposum said:

I fail to see how firing from horseback, in its current state, is unbalanced.
The Cavalry Carbine is much worse then the Infantry Musket, The Cavalry Musket is more or less the same, and Dragoons will always pose a bigger target then Infantry. They can also not go into buildings, hide behind rubble as easy or climb obstacles in the same way Infantry can. With the public playstyle, or rather playstyles, referring to anything that is not organised groups of players in formations fighting eachother, Dragoons do not need balancing.

Infantry pose less of a target, They have either Better Ranged capalilities(Jägers), Have acess to a Bayonet(Line), or Both(Light).

If you want to "Balance" Dragoons in Public play, Nerf the Bayonet.

When it comes to Linebattles, The skill of the participants, their leader and how well these elements cooperate will determine the outcome, not Weapon and Horse Stats. Thus, I'll leave this area open for debate.
Line battles are not in question here, public play is.
Firing from horseback is borderline useless, almost without skill and quite annoying aspect of the game. Keeping it in the game will make dragoons stay weaklings they currently are instead of turning them into actually useful class. I bolded the bit of quote where I say that dragoons are weakest class in the game. Noone is arguing that dragoons are some overpowered class, they are underpowered. What people are saying that removing firing from horseback and giving dragoons dedicated cavalry role (instead of randomly running around trying to pointblank people, then run away to reload) would benefit the class, along making the game more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom