Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let's get back to the topic. The only thing we know about M&B2: Bannerlord is that it's going to be called M&B2: Bannerlord. Which IMO is a silly name, because it's not even a real word and nobody knows what the hell it's supposed to mean. Thoughts?

You are missing my point. I believe this thread was made to talk about M&B2, thing is (and I believe some people might be with me), at this point we have nothing to discuss. We have all this pages talking about nothing but a short teaser and a small interview. If we have to talk about thread topic you might aswell temporarly lock this thread, becouse there is nothing to be talked about. This is my opinion and I will leave it at that, your the moderator and you wont see any more off topic comments on my part.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Okay, let's get back to the topic. The only thing we know about M&B2: Bannerlord is that it's going to be called M&B2: Bannerlord. Which IMO is a silly name, because it's not even a real word and nobody knows what the hell it's supposed to mean. Thoughts?

True, kind of. But the same applied for Warband, which turned out to be a very successful game in financial terms.

Whats so hard to get about bannerlord? it means you are a lord with a lot of banners under your flag (a lot of vassals) maybe because I read Game of Thrones I am already used to the term, but it really isn't that hard to understand, its just like tele-phone, stick two words together to make a new one, in this case banner lord would even make more sense to some one who hand't heard the word before than tele-phone would.

(I have added Bannerlord to my computer's dictionary so as far as it's concerned its a word)

@Ringwraith, I do not think the game developers have thought about the name as much as you have. That is not to say that they don't care about it, but you seem to read too much into it. It's a unique name to be sure and I'm sure that was what they were aiming for. I'm also sure that it will start to sound normal after some time as well. Well, maybe not to you.

The point is that if you type "Bannerlord" to Google, what you will get is Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord news. Might actually have some meaning in the game as well, but as you said, we don't know much about it.

tansvanio said:
You are missing my point. I believe this thread was made to talk about M&B2, thing is (and I believe some people might be with me), at this point we have nothing to discuss. We have all this pages talking about nothing but a short teaser and a small interview. If we have to talk about thread topic you might aswell temporarly lock this thread, becouse there is nothing to be talked about. This is my opinion and I will leave it at that, your the moderator and you wont see any more off topic comments on my part.
Just because you don't have anything to talk about the topic, doesn't mean others are in the same situation.

Goker said:
@Ringwraith, I do not think the game developers have thought about the name as much as you have.
That's kinda unfortunate, given that the title is typically the first thing people learn about a game. Dunno, just seems to me like something they should put a bit of thought into. First impressions and all that.

It's a unique name to be sure and I'm sure that was what they were aiming for. I'm also sure that it will start to sound normal after some time as well. Well, maybe not to you.
Yeah, it'll never sound good to me because of what Whatshisface said in the other thread, that it's actually just a poor translation of an actual Turkish... what would you even call it? Title of office, I guess? Knowing that makes me wince every time I see the word. It's kinda like that "You Defeated" thing in Dark Souls (which they apparently replaced with "Victory Achieved", which isn't much better). There's a difference between a deliberate stylistic choice and a mistake, and even if you're not aware of what the mistake is specifically you can still tell that there's something 'off' about it.

@Ringwraith #5:

Actually "Bannerlord" is an anagram of some mythological thing but i can't tell you anymore right now.

No, it is not.

I'm sorry if my lollygagging caused you trouble. I try not to do that often.  :oops:

Ringwraith #5 said:
That's kinda unfortunate, given that the title is typically the first thing people learn about a game. Dunno, just seems to me like something they should put a bit of thought into. First impressions and all that.
Well, it is "Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord". I'd say the M&B part would be enough to draw people in, but I understand what you mean. Still, I do not think it is "that bad."

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yeah, it'll never sound good to me because of what Whatshisface said in the other thread, that it's actually just a poor translation of an actual Turkish... what would you even call it? Title of office, I guess? It's kinda like that "You Defeated" thing in Dark Souls (which they apparently replaced with "Victory Achieved", which isn't much better). There's a difference between a deliberate stylistic choice and a mistake, and even if you're not aware of what the mistake is specifically you can still tell that there's something 'off' about it.
Sancakbeyi was mentioned, if I remember correctly, which was a title given to the leaders in the edges of the Empire, who called the banners and gathered the troops.

Apparently, the rank is considered to be equal to Marquis.

The actual distinction between a Marquess and other peerage titles has, in more recent years, faded into obscurity. In times past, the distinction between a Count and a marquess was that a marquess's land, called a march, was on the border of the country, while a count's land, called a county, often wasn't. Because of this, a marquess was trusted to defend and fortify against potentially hostile neighbors and was thus more important and ranked higher than a count.

The M&B part will only mean anything to people who are already familiar with the series, and as I pointed out in the other thread those who like the series will buy M&B2 regardless of what it's called. And yeah, it's not that bad, but it's not good either.

They could have left it without a subtitle, like the original game. Still, though the Turkish name doesn't translate to a very natural English one, one gets a vague idea that a banner lord would be someone in command of many troops. The name is adequate in my opinion and will quickly become synonymous with the sequel, probably used in preference to 'M&B 2'.

In the time honoured spirit of making wholly unreasonable leaps in logic, I would like to predict that Bannerlord will be available on the Amiga as well as the PC (since the programming language 'brain****', which M&B 2 won't be using, was written by an important guy in the Amiga scene). Will it be AGA only (A1200/A4000) or will A500 owners get a look in too?

OMG leaked screenshot!1!11!!

Ragnor said:
Here is a preview of the pre-alpha arabian environment.
ed6bc8c6af08.jpg

Someone must have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom