Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crille said:
Sir_Newton said:
Even if it is historically semi-accurate it would not fit into the M&B combat system, as it would require attacking/blocking in two different directions in order to be semi-useful. It owuld require a complete rework of the basis of M&B combat, which the developers would very likely not do given the strength and relative intuitivity of the system.

...Or can't both swords do same directional attack all the same?

EDIT: And a reset button perhaps.

that completely defeats the purpose of dual wielding. Their ONLY advantage is the ability to attack from different direction and deceive/outmaneuver your foe.

Just make it so that when you hold a key (ctrl for example) you control the other weapon. Now you can attack two directions at the same time, block two different directions or attack and block different directions.

Make it to where you cannot block but use both mouse buttons to attack with either weapon.

Double damage potential, twice the directions you can attack at once.  Try blocking that without a shield.

Scully said:
Just make it so that when you hold a key (ctrl for example) you control the other weapon. Now you can attack two directions at the same time, block two different directions or attack and block different directions.

This, but it could be a toggle button rather than held button. Weapon A maintains its action when you toggle to weapon B, so you can be holding L-block while you fight as normal with the other hand, or you can be attacking when you switch, in which case the attack will finish and that hand will return to its idle stance.

Meevar the Mighty said:
Scully said:

This, but it could be a toggle button rather than held button. Weapon A maintains its action when you toggle to weapon B, so you can be holding L-block while you fight as normal with the other hand, or you can be attacking when you switch, in which case the attack will finish and that hand will return to its idle stance.

That is not so stupid after all... That could be the advantage of dual wielding - one direction perma-block (so against swinging weapons you only have 2 directions that you block manually). The disadvantages would be no shield and slightly lower dmg.

But what about spear + short sword/dagger combo?

But CTRL should be used for crouching, so the dual-wielding control thingie should be on a different key. :razz:
Also, remember what they said a long time ago. That the new engine will be so great that you can leave dual-wielding in the dust and go directly to triple-wielding. And to heighten the RPG mechanics, the efficiency of your third weapon will be determined by your Ironflesh skill, as it was discussed either on this thread, or on the previous one, a long, long time ago.
If that's the case though, I want to dual-wield crossbows and reload them with my third arm. Or dual-wield bows. That would be amazing.

The ability to absolutely defend and attack like is suggested sounds rather unbalanced unless there was a cooldown time between doing actions. It's basically an I-WIN button if you can simultaneously attack in 2 directions and the same for if you are able to near instantaneously block an incoming attack while attacking yourself.

If it was set up in a way that you pressed 'x' to switch mode which effectively lets you switch which weapon you control as scully mentioned you could probably have it so that it maintains the last instruction, so if you are holding an attack or block it locks in that instruction. However you would need a switch weapon time or you would simply be able to do some outrageous stuff.

I could see it having an extreme niche as a duelling weapon and increasing complexity over any other stat, but it would probably lose a lot of the other advantages other weapons have, so damage, range, weight and defence in the case of the shield. As such unless it simply has very effective duelling moves, it will just become another military sickle or war cleaver, the sort of weapon no one actually uses even if it is cool. Guess people will use in singleplayer though, just wouldn't want to see something that is so gimmicky become the universal weapon in multiplayer.

Overall I would say, given the dubious benefits to the gameplay, huge amounts of potential problems in the mechanics and balance and the fact that this has very little basis in history outside of a few rarefied cases, it would seem to be more trouble than its worth.

Lumos said:
But CTRL should be used for crouching, so the dual-wielding control thingie should be on a different key. :razz:
Also, remember what they said a long time ago. That the new engine will be so great that you can leave dual-wielding in the dust and go directly to triple-wielding. And to heighten the RPG mechanics, the efficiency of your third weapon will be determined by your Ironflesh skill, as it was discussed either on this thread, or on the previous one, a long, long time ago.
If that's the case though, I want to dual-wield crossbows and reload them with my third arm. Or dual-wield bows. That would be amazing.

Oh yes, three swords. Two in each hand, one in between your teeth. Even better is the ability to triple-wield Great Hammers.

Guys its easy to duel wield.

Look at the options for blocking/attacking in game. You see Arrow Key Movements like left arrow - Left Attack.

So you could have a mouse as your right blade, and youse some key form for your other blade.

Thats not the point, m&b's combat system is based on realistic grounds, they cannot make dual wielding useful without sacrificing realism which I doubt they would.

Modders can do it if they want.

I think the point of dual wielding is attacking faster, not in two directions at a time, hit after hit after hit after hit, like boxing, boxing is dual wielding of nothing

Why different mechanics for dual wielding? It would be too much of a hassle to implement. If you're going to do it, then make it so that the blocking and attacking works normally like with any other weapon, but the major difference would be in weapon stats and animations. For example, if I attacked with my left handed weapon, it would land at the right side of my opponent. So the advantage of dual wielding weapons would be that you could land those hits faster than with only one weapon, considering you don't have to switch directions so it would be more of a spam/speed weapon. The disadvantages would be lower damage because you don't have the same momentum, and no shield to defend against the enemy arrows.

TL;DR - keep it simple, don't change the mechanics but implement dual wielding and make it viable by simply adding an animation for the left hand weapon and implementing correct stats for it.

It's uncommon but some armies used the Twin swords. Ref: Muye Dobo Tongji pages 247-259.
If Taleworlds adds Dual wield, they will know how to do it correctly (I hope). Because I don't see them risking too much.. Since they work good with the necesary.

As I said I'd put Twin swords with restrictions.
In online for example only for Kheg cavalry/inf.
Sarraind archers. (probably)
Nord Infant (maybe)
If you attack the first attack is with the right hand and the second with the left the third with the right again...or randomized.

Also, online matches, I'd put twin swords as a type of weapon to be choosed. But Only 1. For example.
Broad sword, short sword, Twin swords. (not X sword + y sword).
And again, restricted per faction/class
Like khergit that have horse archers...

Or not at all as what sort of person would run around the battle field with 2 swords or axes or maces and have nothing to protect himself from ranged attacks.

And before anyone says they would side step them, first you should try and side step and actual arrow whilst holding 2 swords. if you survive then fine add it in. Otherwise we will cure taleworlds of this bull**** by you trying it first.

Considering how easy it already is to dodge arrows in Warband (pretty much any 3rd person game for that matter), I bet it wouldn't really be a problem. However of course, when seen from a realistic point of view, I assume it's pretty different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom