The Fyrd of Devonshire [Recruiting]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxnot

Sergeant
FyrdofDevonshire.png

The Fyrd of Devonshire is a competitive clan for the Mount & Blade: Warband modification 'Vikingr' and was created on the 29th of November 2011. It is a Branch of the multi-gaming clan Guard of Istiniar. The Branch is led by three Ealdormen, who are assisted by four Thegns (or less if not all positions were filled via election).

We value maturity and behaviour over skill and therefore recruit and manage our members and servers accordingly. We believe that skills for any games can be trained, but that maturity and good behaviour cannot - at least not with the resources at our disposal. For that reason we have a quite extensive set of rules and a one-month trial in which we assess potential new members. After that one month, one of our committees discusses each individual Recruit and votes to determine if the majority is in favour of accepting that Recruit as a permanent member or not. Members of these committees are either elected or veteran players that have been in the clan for a long time and have proven to be dependable members.
In the case of the Fyrd of Devonshire the Council of Landholders makes these decisions. The Landholders are veteran members of the Branch, who become members of the Council by progressing through the ranks and reaching the rank Housecarl (or a higher one). A second committee, the Wetangemot, in which the nobility (three Ealdormen and four Thegns) sits, makes decisions regarding rules and Branch structure. The nobility is also responsible for organizing trainings and matches. 

Our Core Values and rules affecting the entire multi-gaming clan are written down in our Constitution. Specific rules for this Branch can be found in the Charter for this Branch. If you are interested in joining us, it is required that you read and agree to both of them.

contactpp.gif
To contact us, you can either send our leaders a message on these forums or contact us on Steam. Alternatively you can post on our forums (http://forum.guardofistiniar.org) or speak to us on TeamSpeak.

Sarnek | Sarnek | Ingame: FD_Ealdorman_Sceotend

| |
devonshire.jpg

Signatures:
sigbex.png

Code:
[IMG]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/61/sigbex.png[/IMG]

Special Thanks to Archivist for the banners.
Special Thanks to the IG leadership for a lot of work during the last weeks (working on the charter, rules, ranks ua).

This post will still be edited during the next time, e.g. because of a background story and other details.
Greetings,
Ealdorman Carl.

Aha! Glad to see this Clan being remade! :smile:

Good luck from Fir Áraig and the Víkingr community!

Thank you for your kind words.

Just to clarify why i made new FD threads: we had elections on our leadership (yeah, Devonshires are crazy folks, we even have a constitution) and therefore minor changes had to be made.

And another note on our behalf: we never managed to become the great boost for this awesome mod as we hoped to so we are now focusing on a rather casual game-play.

Kind regards
Carl

Yes, I was wondering about this second thread. And I have another question:

Since your usual name is Edward, why not use its Old English form Éadweard as your Víkingr name, instead of Carl?

Thanks for your suggestion, i might look into it. I choose my old warband name for FD as people around IG still get confused and this way it sounds legitimate to do so calling me either Edward or Carl.

If it helps, Carl is attested in Old English, but always as a foreign name. Charles I of Flanders (son of Canute the Saint, who's interestingly already called Cnut se halig in an entry for the year 1119 in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle) and Charles the Fat (in an entry for 885) are referred to as Carl. So, if you keep it, you'll be a Frankish immigrant or something. :razz:

Thanks!  :grin: Not that i have something against immigrants but choosing Edwardo might be even more sensible now.

Good men of Devonshire,

I saw you were considering changing your in-game 'tag'. I thought you might like to know the Old English options. To take your Éanfriþ as an example:

Éanfriþ Defena scíre 'Éanfriþ of Devonshire'
Éanfriþ Defena 'of the Devonians'

(Defena scír 'Devonshire')

Thanks, thats quite nice actually. We are currently not sure which way to go and kind of sort out what suits us best. Old English tag would men we had to change our thread and even our clan name for that matter. And as we are part of IG we kind of a partially stubborn in these regards and on the other hand want to ensure some kind of corporate identity.

Well, you wouldn't need to change your clan name as such. For example, the Fyrd of Lewes used the tag "LF" in game, the Maisnees del Vis****e d'Iveri just use "d'Iveri" as their tag, the Cumpaignie de Runeville use "de Runeville", etc. In your case it would be the difference between using "Fyrd of Devonshire" in Modern English in your official clan name and Old English in your tags.

hrotha said:
Well, you wouldn't need to change your clan name as such. For example, the Fyrd of Lewes used the tag "LF" in game, the Maisnees del Vis****e d'Iveri just use "d'Iveri" as their tag, the Cumpaignie de Runeville use "de Runeville", etc. In your case it would be the difference between using "Fyrd of Devonshire" in Modern English in your official clan name and Old English in your tags.

Thought I would fix it for you. We use it be an army but now we are just a levy/household of troops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom