[Campfire] - Where legends born

Users who are viewing this thread

Here you can write stories about battles and other character/story related stuff.

Sit to the camp fire and tell us of your hardest battle, greatest victory or bloody defeat.

Since no one posted any tale of bravery yet, I will be the first. But that one isn't anything exceptional...

Well... on or two hours ago, i fought a battle, for a french caravan being raided by a small Austrian cavalry party. Something around 30 ku... that guys on cuirass breastplate, plus a handfull of standard carriers and etc. Wasn't exactly a epic battle, you see. To you guys have idea of the situation, my total army (of 45 Bavarian Musketeers and a handfull of Swiss Jägers), plus the caravan scout (around 10 horseman and 10 varied french infantry) easily outnumbered them from 2 to 1. However, i had to take an... extreme meassure to hasten the battle.

See: on our side of the battlefield, there where a HUGE elevation. So big that, even on line, i would probably decimate the attacking cavalry. But i am not a commander of taking risks. Put my first regiment of regulars on a square, put them on the face of the elevation, and behind them, at the top, with a great view, my small regiment of jagërs. If the cavalry tried to take down my second regiment, they would probably have to pass trough my bayonet square. If they tried to avoid them, they would slow down so much that would be easy prey to my muskets and rifles. Were a win-win situation. For me, of course.

However, the Frenches didn't worked with me. The bastards climbed down that strategic point and gone to fight face-on the enemy cavalry on the valley ahead. Waited almost 20 minutes, not shooting down more than 2 of them while only a handfull of the ailed infantry survived. However, the cavalry, on wedge formation, was taking too much time to kill them. I grew tired of waiting! So, i climbed down the elevation, musket and bayonet, and gone to face them. The only epic moment of the battle.

When the wedge where coming to my direction on the first time, lead by the Austrian commander, sword on hand, few metres of cutting my head... i shot the bastard on the face. THE ENTIRE FORMATION STOPPED. By a brief second, of course, but enough for me to get away from them. Them, they formed again and started to run trough the battle field. Like, 15 seconds latter, they were coming for me again. With my musket reloaded, one more time, shooted down the commander, on the edge of the formation. Again, ran like a hell to the side of them and recharged. Didi so, like, 6 times before bringing my musketeers to the center of the battlefield. On a tight square formation, we held and killed most of them, taking minimal loses. They tried, at foot, climb up the elevation to take my jaggers, but they were able to held them with their rifles. From that point to on, was just a booring massacre of scattered horsemans.

As the town gates of Sandomir opened, the chief officer couldn't believe his eyes. "They did it!" He thought. The few soldiers marched in, with their leader. The officer watched them for a while, then he looked elsewhere. They won a great battle, but they didn't seem happy about that. The only happines, one could see in their eyes, were the fact, that they survived. Nothing more.
The army, or it's remains stopped. The leader got off his horse and started walking towards the officer and stopped right before him.
- What happened? - asked the officer and looked at the young lieutenant.
His breastplate was damaged and his right hand injured. "A cut from a sabre."
The younger officer looked behind his back and finally replied.
- We did it as ordered. We defeated the Swedish army. - he answered and beckoned behind.
A soldier came with some standards in his hand and put it before the officer. The old soldier stared at them for a while, before he looked at the lieutenant again.
- So Gustav Adolf has been defeated... Where is your cavalary Mein Herr?
- They got slaughtered. As you see Mein Herr, I'm the only one who got out alive. But I got cut. - answered the lieutenant.
- Tell me what happened and you and your soldiers may go to get some rest. - the officers voice sounded like another order, so the lieutenant begann to talk....

The swedish army were faster than us, so they had the chance to choose the Battleground. They wanted to lay siege on Vasilyv, but noticed us and prepared for the battle. The ground was full of hills, so I didn't want to use cavalary too much. We found a nice one and stationed my infantry there. The Jägers could shoot them, before they are in range, so we had advantage. But there was something we did not have: Reinforcements and enough bullets. I knew, that this is going to be hard, because the swedish army was four times bigger then ours.
They started to march towards my Jägers on the highest hilltop. The swedish knew what will wait them, but they were sure about their victory. The infantry came down from the hill, where they camped and started his march between the two hills. The Jägers opened fire and caused heavy casulaties, but they kept marching forward and forward. This was the moment, when I ordered the cavalary to disappear behind another hill, right to the marching swedish forces. While the cavalary went to it's destination, the swedisg infantry started to shoot back and we got some casulaties too, but not as heavy as they did. From where I stood, behind my line of  Jägers, I could see, that they send a new regiment into battle. Nice, I thought. The regiment, begann to retreat, and got out of the firing range of the Jägers.
After the reunited, they started to come again. I notices, that I did not see any swedish cavalary, untill this moment. Some swedish cavalary stormed my Kuirassiers. Por guys didn't even know what hit them and I decided to help them. They heard the retreat and started to ride towards me. The standard bearer has been killed, when my cacalary reached me. I put Herr Hofer in the command of the infatry, with the order to hold the hilltop at all costs. The swedish cavalary started to regroup and it was time to charge them. Riding towards them, I got our stadard and waving it, we charged. It was their turn to retreat and ours to regroup. After that, the two cavalaries charged each other. I cut down five of them in no time but their number was bigger than it seemed and we were cut off from our infantry, without any support. We defeated their cavalary in a hard battle, and I got cut. It was time to get back to our hilltop. I took a look from a safe distance at the enemy: Only their infantry was between us and our goal. It was time to go through.
I led the charge from the right wing of them, but they noticed us before we could get near them. I tried to use the smoke to hide us, but it was useles. We heard the gunfire and many of my Kuirassiers fell. When we reached them, I only had a handfull of horseman left, but we got through. I prayed, that we can hide behind the hill before they reload. God had some other thing to do this time. They killed the remains of the cavalary. Only I survived. Hofer could hold the hilltop, but suffered casulaties, so we had to act quickly. We had to end this battle in short time, before we run out of ammunition. I took a regiment of my Jägers with me, to flank the enemy. We did it and started to fire at them from the left flank, very near their lines. They may thought, that we got reinforcements and shortly they were dead or injured. King Gustav surrendered and offered me his sabre. I refused. The only thing I wanted to go home and take a look at our casulaties. More than the half of my army has been slaughtered and my cavalary has been completely destroyed....

- Hard battle, but these are hard times Lieutenant - said the officer. - I will send your report to Wien and if the Kriegshofrat accepts, you will be Captain in a few days. Now go and get some rest.
The young officer bowed and went back to his troops. After a few orders, they marched towards the baracks.
The chief officer looked after them and shaked his head. "Unbelieveable! Tremble Bonaparte! We found your counterpart!"

Count Roland. I feel ashamed of sharing with you such a bad written tale in front of this. I feel like a child playing with lead soldiers, facing such a... thing. I saw myself on that field of battle, swinging my sword, crying havoc... and being shot on the chest right after. Yep.  :sad:
Still... breath taking. You are a damned good writer, man. Please, show us more. I will try my hardest to make something at the same level. Would you have another story?  :grin:

And you know what? Would be awesome if someone made a illustrated story, or a comic, about the best war stories that we may find on this thread. A gentleman that wield a pencil (or that things that designers use the make drawings at the computer screen) with the same mastery as a Polish Hussar wield a sabre. A manly and corageous swashbuckler, master with paintings, to illustrate to us the most epic fictional battles that ever happened on M&B 1805 v2 Europe.

Do you know any fella that would fall on that description, Captured Joe?  :wink:

It could've been better, but I was at work today... :smile:

Freeing Brescia

Part I.​

Marching on​

The two Austrian leader rode towards each other and stopped. One of them seemed a bit elder than the other and looking at his medalions, had a much more higher rank. The younger officer stopped and took a good look on the other.
- Who are you Mein Herr? - asked the young Sergeant
- Erzherzog Karl von Österreich Teschen, leader of our italian forces, so your highest commander. - answered the Duke - And who may you be, young officer?
The Sergeant saluted and answered:
- I am Sergeant Roland von Heim, Count of Mantua, Mein Herr. I guess you are on your way to Brescia, to meet the rest of our forces in Italy, am I right, Mein Herr?
Karl stared at the Count for a while, then looked in the way of Brescia, or where it should be.
- Right. Do you know anything about, how things are, Sergeant?
- Yes Herr Feldmarschall. Brescia is under heavy siege. - said the Sergeant.
- Then why are you here? - asked the Archduke.
- I was on a scouting mission and I saw the sieging forces. - came the answer.
- What forces do they have? - asked Karl again.
- Well... If I estimated good, more than twice as much as we together. I saw some Dutch, Bavarian, Italian and Spanish standards, so they have a pretty mixed army. Herr Feldmarschall, this is going to be a hard ride. - said the Count.
- We will break the siege and free Brescia. And the we march on and crush the italian forces for good. - answered Karl.
- I will be with you Mein Herr. - bowed von Heim.

The march to Brescia was slow. The weather turned cold and rainy. It was difficult to move the supplies, but in a few days, the armies were only a few miles away from the besieged fort. Archduke Karl, Count von Heim and the officers were busy making the plans for breaking the siege.
- This plain area would be good for a battle. - said Karl. - The only thing, we have to achieve, that they abandon the siege and turn against us...
- But Lord Archduke... - begann von Heim. - This will take our advantage of surprise. And with that numbers, we will be in trouble.
- They already spotted us while we were marching. - replied the Duke. - We already lost this kind of advantage, so prepare your man. You will be the bait.
- But.. - started the Count.
- Your forces are smaller, so you can easily outmarch them. You will circle around their forces. They know we are here and they also know, that if we attack fast, they will fall under two fires: Brescia and us. They have to come after you, to deal with us, or at least most of their forces. You won't attack them, just lure them here. We will be prepared and will start an attack immediately, when you arrive. This will be kind of surprise and we can cause them heavy casulaties. After that, we can deal with the rest. Knowing the relation between you and the italians, they will retreat in the moment, they recognize you. Any questions Herr Graf?
- No Mein Herr! - bowed von Heim. - Then I leave now, to prepare for the action. - He saluted and left the tent.
Archduke Karl looked at his officers.
- Go and prepare the army. Tomorrow noon, I want to see everything ready. Go!
Count von Heim called his men together, to tell them the plans.
- So gentlemann, we are going to be the bait. We lure the besiegeing army here and then we crush them. We will go at tomorrow morning. Now go and get some rest.
The night was cold and there was some heavy rain too. The waking sun found the von Heim's army ready to march. The Count rode before his man, with a standard in his hand. The camp priest was standing next to him and he begann to talk.
- Soldiers of the Empire! Today we march to Brescia and drag those bastards from the siege and we will crush them. It is time to confess your sins, so you can go with a clean soul to God, if he calls you!
The soldiers got down to one knee and the Pries stood before them.
- In the nam of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, regret your sins!
The army murmured a prayer and all of them looked on the priest.
- In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holly Spirit, I absolve you! Now rise!
The soldiers got up as one man and they waited for the orders. The drummers beat the march, It has begunn...

That's some really epic stuff, Count Roland. Tell me, you are a amateur writer? Seems that you have been on that kind of thing for a really good time. You write on a dynamic way, without being too much bounded to scenario descriptions, but, even son, knows how to put the tension of the moment trough the dialogs and descriptions of the reactions.
Simply, beautiful. I must see how those courageous man of the empire fought against so smashing odds. I really pray for a good result. :grin:

Part II.​
The enemy is at the gates​

Christiaan Ludewijk sat in his tent and listened to the sound of the firing cannons. Since two days, they shoot whitout stop. One more day and they can lead an assault against Brescia. He heard about some Austrian forces on the march, but he was sure, that they won't attack the besiegers. Their italian army is more smaller, the this united force. The only thing, what can help them, if they can get reinforcements from Venezia and the nearby forts. After rethinking this, Ludewijk sprang up and called for an officer.
- Get the generals here! We have something important to discuss!
The officer saluted and has gone away. Ludewijk looked outside. "Damn rain! This will make this more difficult!"

In short time, all of the leaders were in Ludewij's tent. The Dutch general showed them a map of the area.
- Gentleman, we have to take Brescia quickly. The Austrians are coming in force! - said Christiaan
- Fear not Senior General, they won't attack us. According to our scouts, they have a small force. - answered the Spanish general Joaquín Blake.
- And what if they got reinforcments? - asked Vertigier St. Paul.
- Thats right! - said the Dutch. - If they got reinforcements, they will attack us, whithout hesitation and we will be stuck between their forces and Brescia...
- In this case Meine Herren - said von Wrede, who was sitting - we have to send a small force to see what they have brought. After we see everything cearly, we can discuss a plan.
The generals just beckoned, Vertigier begann to talk:
- And who will lead this force? It is a risky idea Sir.
- Indeed it is. That's why I will take care of this personally.
There was silence in the tent for a short time, when a wer and dirty horseman ran in.
- Lord Generals! The Austrians are on the way here!
The Generals just stared at the man, Joaquín stepped closer to him.
- What forces they have? - he asked.
- Just a small force of infantry and cavalary, Sir.
von Wrede walked outside.
- I will take care of them! - he said. - Rally my men!
The Bavarian general went back to his camp, while the others, still tried to understand what happens.
- So... They are scouting. - said Ludewijk. - If von Wrede comes back, we will know more. Until then, let the siege continue!

von Wrede and his officers prepared for march. The rain was cold and the Bavarian army begann to march in the evening.
- Keep your weapons dry! You will need it! - said Wrede. - We crush those scouts and then we beat the rest of the Austrians. If the report was correct, we will meet them in a few hours.

The scouts came back with haste, the young Count has never seen.
- The Bavarians are after us, Lord Sergeant! - reported the horseman.
- How far are they? - asked von Heim.
- We have a few hours left, Mein Herr.
- I don't want to march all night, so we will push them back. We will set a trap for them. Hofer, to me!
A bearded tyrolean came and saluted.
- Mein Herr?
The count extemporized a map in the mud.
- You will take the Jägers and your Grenadiers to the edge of this forest, while I ride to the other with the cavalary. When you spot the Bavarians coming, you open fire at them. When they start to shoot back, you try to use the woods as a cover. I don't want too much casulaties. We will take them from their left and with the help of the darkness and the sounds of battle, we can sneak on them unnoticed. After we finished, we camp for the night and continue as ordered. Any questions?
- No, Mein Herr! Everything is clear. - replied the tyrolean.
- Then go and prepare! Cavalary! Mount horses! It's hunting season!

RodriguesSting said:
That's some really epic stuff, Count Roland. Tell me, you are a amateur writer? Seems that you have been on that kind of thing for a really good time. You write on a dynamic way, without being too much bounded to scenario descriptions, but, even son, knows how to put the tension of the moment trough the dialogs and descriptions of the reactions.
Simply, beautiful. I must see how those courageous man of the empire fought against so smashing odds. I really pray for a good result. :grin:

And finally to answer your question. First off al, thank you! It's good to see, that some people like my work. I don't consider myself as a writer. I used to write such things for fun. If I see, that people like it, it gives me strength to continue and give the best. :smile:

Hah, nice to see Hofer there!  :smile:
I hope he will have an important role on this story. I would love to see his personality.
Once i got a significant battle, i will make sure to build a story around it too. I saved one of the Bavarian princes (don't remember which one), with his army in rags, from the personal army of the King of Sicily and Naples. Tough battle, but it inaugurated my dragoon regiment, and they managed to do some damage (even if i don't really know how to make a cavalry charge work with formations on) while my line and Swiss Jaggers ripped his line infantry. However, was too easy and simple to be put here.  :???:
Gotta be patient and wait my time to shine.  :mrgreen:

Milano Region
December 1805

Your Highness!

It saddens me to inform you that our last campaign in northern Italy has been a complete failure. Our forces, led by your son Prince Ludwig, have been scattered in an early stage, and our enemies have been quick enough to make the most use of the opportunities offered by our bad leadership. But, although it has been a failure, it would have been a disaster if not our reinforcements, sent from Bavaria at a late stage, had stood firm with our forces in battle.
Amidst the disorder of this last campaign (which has, by the way, characterised our latest efforts on the different front on which we are forced to fight), a Battalion from Nurenberg, led by Feldwebel Ocks, was sent as reinforcements to our campaigning force, and arrived just as our force was falling apart. He had pressing matters to attend at the depots at Nurenberg, and he was fully justified to leave for Bavaria again, especially since Prince Ludwig was already disbanding our forces. (Important note: Since then his troops have been marching to the south, losing contact with our armies in the north. I still have no idea of his whereabouts, but we must consider him and his soldiers defeated and imprisoned.)
During those days, I judged the situation dangerous, and decided to retreat to friendly territory. But we were intercepted by an Austrian regiment of Hussars, supported by an infantry regiment. We were hopelessly outnumbered, the enemy had at least three soldiers for every one of us. This moment, the aforementioned Feldwebel Ocks came into play.
He had been marching around in the area and was preparing to leave for Bavaria already, when he came across the battle. He quickly joined my force, and we made a stand against the enemy's cavalry. They still outnumbered us, but with the fresh support and by God's will, we were able to hold them off. I have noticed the Feldwebel's troops were well-trained and skillfully handled in battle. (They will prove valuably when we go seriously on the offense again.)
After the victory, I thanked thos NCO for his help, and he marched off to the north again quickly.  But before he had left Italy, another force of Austrian cavalry assaulted us, and again we were able to fend the enemy off. The mercenary cavalry I had recruited from saved prisoners proved to be utterly worthless against Hungarian Hussars, by the way. Disciplined volley's and massed bayonets of Ocks' soldiers destroyed the enemy's fine horsemen.
I am ashamed to admit that, while on the march home, we were intercepted by another strong Austrian force, and that my army had to be saved by this Feldwebel and his soldiers for the third time! In our last battle he was hit on the head by a Hussar's sabre, and he is heavily injured. I believe he is doing better currently now, as he and his soldiers have a well-earned rest at Munich's Barracks.
Without the received aid of this fine Battalion, our whole campaign army would have been crushed. I recommend this officer to promotion to Oberfeldwebel, and the Pour le Merite order. I can tell you his bravery match his leadership abilities, as he has killed many Hussars with his bayonet before my eyes.

Bernhard Erasmus von Deroy

(P.S.: The above mentioned Feldwebel Ocks is the same Ocks who had destroyed two Austrian infantry and a Württembergian cavalry regiments. For these performances he has already been awarded theEiserne Kreuz, and the Eiserne Kreuz mit Schwerten und Brillianten.)

Part III.

"Nachtschlacht"
Nightbattle​

von Wrede marched his troops in the forrest. Everything was quiet. Suspiciously quiet. What did the young commander find out? It's good that the italians did not come. When they see the Count's standards, they would retreat without hesitation. But how? How could this young man do this, without a serious army. It's on the italians. They may be too weak. Karl Philipp von Wrede wanted to catch this man. But what will happen here tonight? Maybe they retreated, he thought. Impossible! They may be at the edge of the forrest. Waiting. Suddenly he got some terrible feelings about this. Something bad will happen, but from where? He called an officer silently.
- Prepare in silence! Keep weapons at hand!
The whispers flew through the Bavarians and they preapred their weapons and bayonets. The dragoons were ready to fight.

The young Count stopped the cavalary and they dismounted and stood closer to their leader.
- The task is the following: When Hofer and the Jägers begin to shoot we mount horses and ride closer. The closer we get, the faster we charge. If I shoot my pistol, you do the same. Before we reach the infantry, we turn right jump light into the cavalary. If we are fast enough, they won't be able to shoot and we can kill most of them and ride away to the other direction. We will use the trees as cover, but beware: There may be dangerous paths, so carefull and keep your heads down! - whispered the Sergeant.

Hofer watched the riders go away then the Jägers formed a line. Hofer had somewhat better idea with them, then his commander, and ordered he Jägers into the forrest, to hide behind the trees. The trees and bushes give a good cover and the air rifles didn't smoke, so they can be hidden for a long time.

Everyone was ready to this battle, but no one could see the end of it. Hofer used his ears, like the others, to hear the enemy coming. He looked out behind his tree and shoot ind the direction, the sounds came from. A cry and heavy movement and orders. And then, the sound of the muskets. They hit the trees. The Jägers begann to hunt. Hofer did so too. And after that, he heard gunfire from the left of the enemy army and horses. The Sergeant arrived and hit the Bavarians.
- Men! Watch your target! - he shouted, but doubted that everyone heard it.

Gunfire and then many other and meny soldiers fell.
- Form the line! -ordered von Wrede. - Aim! Fire!
The Bavarian response was harsh, but they shot in the dark as the Austrians did, but they are hidden.
- Use the trees as cover! Cavalary! With me!
He wanted to get the enemy from their side, when he heard gunfire very near. A bunch of riders came crying and shooting. He draw his sword.
- Cavalary aim! - and it was too late. He managed to defend a blow, and an other. His hores was stuck on it's neck, so he should jump off, before it falls. The Austrian charge was fast and brutal. Most of his cavalary got cuten down, some lost their horses, some of the survived. The Kuirassiers ride away in the night.
- They will come back! - shouted the General and aimed, the last rider, he still saw and pulled the trigger. The Austrian horseman fell dead.

The Kuirassiers gathered in a safe distance from the bavarian troops.
- That was a good turn, gentleman. Not it's time to make another. Anyone is missing? - asked the Count.
- One of us is dead. - replied one of the riders.
- They will wait us next time, so we go around them in a distance and attack them again from the same direction as before. So keep quiet and follow me. And reload your pistols. After I shot mine, fire at will! And make a warcry, they may think we have 100.000 riders. Now follow me!

Hofer aimed and shot. It will be over soon. They got a lot of casulaties, but came closer and managed to shoot a few of the infantry. But they have almost the same numbers, so it will be over soon.
- Grenadiers! Preapare bayonets! - he ordered. - "They will think, that we want to go melee and get more closer".
Suddenly he heard the Bavarian drums, beating retreat. "We won't pursue them. No more casulaties. And there are the Kuirassiers somewhere. They just close the retreat and it's over. Gunfire and horses again. The cavalary came again and they heard, that they stopped.
- Hold your fire! - he cried.
The Jägers stopped firing and the Bavarians stood before the Sergeant, with weapons down and with someting... maybe white? They surrendered.
- Stay here, I go out. - he ordered and got closer to his leader and the Bavarian one.
- Mein Herr, you defeated me today. I offer you my sword. - said von Wrede and wanted to give his sword to the Sergeant.
- I don't need your sword, Mein Herr. - said the Count. - Your soldiers drop their weapon and standards and I let all of you go.
- You set us free? So be it, but one day, I will defeat you, Mein Herr.
The Bavarians put down their weapons and standards, then begann to march away. Hofer went closer.
- Nice work, Sergeant! But I think, we should have sent him to the Archduke.
- He won't even know, that I captured him. We will report, we reouted them and did not want to pursue the rest, So we took the standards, and usable weapons we found. - replied von Heim, then he called for two riders.
- You will get the standards back to the Archduke and report, that, we routed the Bavarians and continue as ordered. You will say, almost no casulaties. Understand?
- Yes, Sir!
- Then go! Men! We camp at the edge of the forest this night. Prepare! And get some Ale from the supplies!

The soldiers begann to march to the campsite. While on the way, hofer begann to sing the Kaiserjägerlied. In a few moments, all soldiers sang.

Wir Jäger lassen schallen
Ein froh gewaltig Lied, hurra!
Und gelten soll es allen,
Zerstreut in Nord und Süd, hurra!
Im Osten und im Westen,
Wo unsre Fahne weht,
|: Wir zählen zu den Besten,
So lang die Treu' besteht.
Und sieht man uns so sagt man,
Und alles läuft und rennt:
|: Das sind die Kaiserjäger
Vom ersten Regiment.