The Two Islands (PW Map by Slytacular)

Users who are viewing this thread

Slytacular

Sergeant Knight
Hello folks, I am currently working on a new map called the "Two Islands". I will upload more pictures later as I further detail the towns with different processes, import and export stations. This is a very competitive role-playing map and some features are limited due to create role-playing effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 9/25/2012

mb12.jpg

Yes, there will be a safe spawn area where you can choose which island to start off in. Left door is Rhodock flavor, and the Right is Swadian.

mb14.jpg

The 3rd faction's house. Or an outpost if you want to call it that. There is no beneficial gain to this place other than a place you can start a faction at, have a boat, and change classes.

mb13.jpg

I'm just kidding about it being an outpost, it's a temple where you can start your private cult to offer human sacrifice. It still acts like a 3rd faction, and you can see the different classes available at the center table. There are no export or stockpiles here.

mb15.jpg

Still unfinished, but improved Jousting Tourney with practice lances, and other not-so-friendly-but-friendly-practice-weapons located in the tent below. I've still yet to add a tally system that is anti-troll. You can see that I added the forest in the back for the second faction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 9/22/2012
mb10_zps7435198b.jpg

I've been working on the second faction recently, but there is not too much to show. Most of the work in this update has been adding values, teleporter doors, and interiors for buildings. I've yet to beautify the two cities, but I want to finish adding everything important to the map before I chock in useless props.
mb11_zps95282676.jpg

This is the second faction castle. Almost similar to the first.
mb9_zps00bb59dd.jpg

Now both cities receive arenas, but only the second faction is going to have an actual jousting tourney. There is going to be more props to complete the scene, and I will add in a tally system as well. The tallies are doors that you can flip up, or set down on the podium. This will be difficult to implement, because I have to figure out a way to prevent trolls from smashing those tallies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original

mb1-5.jpg

In this map, there will only be two castles- one for each island. The commoner town will also be split and merged into these two castles. The gold and silver mine is absolutely obvious in this map- the gold mine is located at the center island of the map, and the silver mines are inside of the castles. Castles are actually very powerful and useful to have, and they require a lot of responsibility to hold.
I mentioned about creating competitive roleplay earlier. What I mean by that for example, is when you attempt to rush to sample from a gold mine, you will have some obstructions. You may have to roleplay and pay somebody to ferry you over to the gold mines and back. After mining the gold off the central island and rush back to the city, you will have to role-play and pay an engineer to give you a gold bar. After receiving a gold bar, the only place to sell a gold bar is to enter the castle. To enter the castle, you have to role-play and ask the Guards to open the gate. This will all happen if you don't get robbed along the way and manage to beat everybody else on the map to the gold mine. There will be a lot of competitive role-play, and plenty of reason to rob and kill people.

A Slippery Slope~
If you are one of the lucky individuals to control a castle, be aware that people will want to pillage and loot your castle. That means you have to have guards to guard your castle. If you have guards, they will have to police the city, and rid of evil doers. Because you have guards, they will want money from the treasury. Everything everybody buys in the town and city is taxed, and sent straight to the castle treasury. If you have a lot of money, this means that you will be robbed constantly and be a hot target for outside invaders. Because you don't like outside invaders, and you want more power, you will hire an army of Guards and Mercenaries, and wage a huge battle that everybody in the game will actually give a crap about. If you conquer the other castle, you will have to run two castles and cities, and you will have to double the amount of protection you had previously. Because you are the king of the world, you will get a headache and retire to a simple life of farming. Unless that gives you a headache too? Don't be a king. You will get a headache.

A few more details about the map-
-Factions involve almost purely Sarranid from Native, and a Rhodok/Swadian combo faction. I chose two distinct factions, because if you buy armour from both factions, people will conceive that you have a terrible taste of fashion.
-There will be a total of four factions. There will be buildings far way from the cities where the other two factions may settle. But the buildings do not have any real protection from theft.
-Body Armour is limited to 45 protection, because I want some skill involved in fighting, other than relying on heavy armour to absorb the blows for you. Head Armour is not limited though, so you will get your Great or Full Helm.
-Castles carry heavier head and foot gear than what you will find in the city. Castles have a supply of Herb Plants in their gardens, and a silver mine tucked away in their cellars (Kings have to stay rich).
-I plan to add 8 boats in total. 6 Double-Masted Trading Cogs and 2 Longboats.
-There is not going to be many variations of Two-Handed Weapons.
-Available Clothing reflects the faction you are buying from.
-No Armoured Horses.

Ideas and suggestions for this map are welcomed!

Looks promising and for once, it actually makes ships useful.

Of course that includes making people depend on them but as long as there are spawn points on both islands, it should be fine.

Same as Serann, it actually makes ships useful, and seems like a nice map, hope it gets on a server and good luck :razz:

Thank you.

For those whom may be wondering about the other castle, I'm still deciding whether to keep an Arabic faction or not. I was thinking of putting in the Norse, but I thought Sarranids might seem more interesting.

Do remember that all armour buy/sell should be placed near areas where linen, leather strips, and iron stockpiles can be found and processed

Oh yeah, I'm placing commoner spawns facing to where most of the tools, weapons and processes are. Problem though is that I placed armour a little further away from the work area, because I didn't know that armour are now stocked. More or less, I've placed leather and the clothing workshop close to where the armour is though, so I hope that could be a plus. Finding everything should be easy. Finding the tools and resource export/import areas should always be obvious in maps.

Update 9/22/2012
mb10_zps7435198b.jpg

I've been working on the second faction recently, but there is not too much to show. Most of the work in this update has been adding values, teleporter doors, and interiors for buildings. I've yet to beautify the two cities, but I want to finish adding everything important to the map before I chock in useless props.
mb11_zps95282676.jpg

This is the second faction castle. Almost similar to the first.
mb9_zps00bb59dd.jpg

Now both cities receive arenas, but only the second faction is going to have an actual jousting tourney. There is going to be more props to complete the scene, and I will add in a tally system as well. The tallies are doors that you can flip up, or set down on the podium. This will be difficult to implement, because I have to figure out a way to prevent trolls from smashing those tallies.

For some very strange reason, the map reminds me of playing DayZ-Lingor.. Must be the colour of the texture pack you are using and the fact that the map consists of islands.

But anyhow, nice work!  :smile:

My map will probably be done in one to two weeks if I keep up focus. I'll be posting more screenshots as I get further into the work.

The texture pack is called Cinematics Mod, which also comes with a neat sound pack as well. I do wish I had the computer to play DayZ, but that takes money and time to get a new one.

Hopefully one of the big servers will use this map sometime in the near future. It will give a vast amount of players the experience of playing on a small map wih hundreds of others. Most players want large maps, but maps such as these would give those with low performance issues an enjoyable experience, and the attitude of the entire community towards small maps will change for the better.

Thank you for the compliments!

I'm not too sure if I could consider my map small, because I did cheat the terrain code to make my map bigger than it would allow. Though everybody is sort of forced to stay put in areas in order to receive benefits of some kind. So if you get 80 people on the server, I expect at least 30 people will roam around each city constantly. 10-15 of those city-goers to be in the castle's faction guarding the area.

In my map, I try to establish creating honest profit easy, and with little difficulty spotting the resources necessary, to allow people to have the wealth to role-play whatever they desire.

The reason the map may not seem huge, is because most of the terrain is underwater, there is some interior places that are hidden (I'm still thinking about including a labyrinth), and you probably have not yet tried to make your character to run from one side of the island to the other (It takes a little while, believe me).

Update: 9/25/2012

mb12.jpg

Yes, there will be a safe spawn area where you can choose which island to start off in. Left door is Rhodock flavor, and the right is Swadian.

mb14.jpg

The 3rd faction's house. Or an outpost if you want to call it that. There is no beneficial gain to this place other than a place you can start a faction at, have a boat, and change classes.

mb13.jpg

I'm just kidding about it being an outpost, it's a temple where you can start your private cult to offer human sacrifice. It still acts like a 3rd faction, and you can see the different classes available at the center table. There are no export or stockpiles here.

mb15.jpg

Still unfinished, but improved Jousting Tourney with practice lances, and other not-so-friendly-but-friendly-practice-weapons located in the tent below. I've still yet to add a tally system that is anti-troll. You can see that I added the forest in the back for the second faction.

Well it looks awesome. Do you know how many kb it takes up so far? around 300 to 400 is ideal. 500 is getting big and anything above 600 is mad for low end sufferers like myself.

Back
Top Bottom