Any ancestors who served in the Napoleonic wars?

Users who are viewing this thread

jezza93 said:
romandude said:
it seems i cant get the officer lists online, how did you aquire them jezza?

Download them off the national archive.
i know lol, was where i was looking  :razz:
just cant seem to find where im supposed to download them, anyone have a link?

romandude said:
jezza93 said:
romandude said:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Collection/Display?iaid=C14273&parentiaid=C543&currentpage=1&totalpages=12&parentgridpage=1&pagelink=4

Click on the year you want,go to 'view this record' then click download.

jezza93 said:
romandude said:
jezza93 said:
romandude said:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Collection/Display?iaid=C14273&parentiaid=C543&currentpage=1&totalpages=12&parentgridpage=1&pagelink=4

thats really cool, thanks a bunch jezza  :grin:

romandude said:
jezza93 said:
romandude said:
jezza93 said:
romandude said:

thats really cool, thanks a bunch jezza  :grin:

No problem,but remember,to be sure it's best to find out what descendants were alive at the time (use ancestry.com) and then you have a pretty good chance of finding a relative,if they were 'Gentlemen'.

Being an American, I doubt I had any direct family members who fought in the Napoleonic Wars (though possibly in the War of 1812). As for any branches of the family that stayed in Great Britain, I don't know. While any members of the family who did join the military likely would have been considered "Gentlemen". I just don't know names.  :???:

As for other wars: I know I had some who fought in both World Wars. As well as at least one who fought in the War Between the States (Confederate cavalryman, I think).

König said:
Being an American, I doubt I had any direct family members who fought in the Napoleonic Wars (though possibly in the War of 1812). As for any branches of the family that stayed in Great Britain, I don't know. While any members of the family who did join the military likely would have been considered "Gentlemen". I just don't know names.  :???:

As for other wars: I know I had some who fought in both World Wars. As well as at least one who fought in the War Between the States (Confederate cavalryman, I think).

I'm not sure about the World Wars personally. At that time my family was rather wealthy and as such I don't know if any actually fought :/

Nice to see that pretty much everyone on this forum had someone who fought in the napoleonic wars. I  have no idea, and no documentation of that happening in my family.

JeanChristophe said:
Nice to see that pretty much everyone on this forum had someone who fought in the napoleonic wars. I  have no idea, and no documentation of that happening in my family.

Few people do to be honest mate (documentation) over the past two generations (my dad and grandad) alot of the stuff about my family history was lost even though it's a really interesting one. But I've managed to claw many bits back together with the help of family tree websites etc. The only heirloom we have is a 200 year old painting of my family crest.

Any Montenegrin noble holding the last name of Vukotić ( after the royal family of Petrović-Njegoš ) is a direct ancestor of mine, so yes, many Montenegrin generals from 1796, to Napoleonic Wars, to the wars of 1856-8, than 1875-8, Balkan Wars & WW1... Some later hooked up with Tito's partizans :smile:

jezza93 said:
JeanChristophe said:

Few people do to be honest mate (documentation) over the past two generations (my dad and grandad) alot of the stuff about my family history was lost even though it's a really interesting one. But I've managed to claw many bits back together with the help of family tree websites etc. The only heirloom we have is a 200 year old painting of my family crest.
Can we see it?

Agovic said:
Any Montenegrin noble holding the last name of Vukotić ( after the royal family of Petrović-Njegoš ) is a direct ancestor of mine, so yes, many Montenegrin generals from 1796, to Napoleonic Wars, to the wars of 1856-8, than 1875-8, Balkan Wars & WW1... Some later hooked up with Tito's partizans :smile:

Your claims do not surprise me.

At all.

I am under the "MacLeod, or Macleod" clan, one of my ancestors was the 93rd Piper Major John Macleod. Backround story.

1865 - During the Crimean War in India, An assault was led on the fortification of Sercunderbah. The Mutineers were the 2nd Battalion of Punjabis. The only Sikhs regiment to mutiny had repulsed 2 attacks by British forces. Sir Colin Campbell, the Gen. in charge, shouts out an order, “Bring out the Tartan, let my own lads at them!” It was the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders, Sir Colin’s best-loved regiment. Seven companies led by Pipe Major, John MacLeod and seven other pipers ran forward playing the tune “The Haughs of Cromdell”. The attack carried the fort. David Mackay won the Victoria Cross by taking the colours of the Punjabis. Later in the day David was shot while attacking a second fort of Shah Neijeef. He was returned to Britain for recovery.

And clan MacLeod were part of the Jacobite Uprising fought for Scotland, did well but died. Many of them.

Probably had someone in a Prussian/Germanic army  :razz:  Other then that small possibility, nope, my family serverd more in WW2, like 3/4 of my mother's cousins/uncles died in Europe, my Grandfather served in the navy (Galloping Ghost of the New Guinea Coast was the nickname) and my other grandfather served in the army. I even had family on the other side of the war oddly enough.

BetaKnight said:
jezza93 said:
JeanChristophe said:

Can we see it?

20120509164339.jpg

Not the best picture,just one I happened to have on my phone :smile: Dat Deus Incredentum means By God we Increase. I believe.

Scorpia said:
"1865 - During the Crimean War in India"

:shock: Got stuck infront of my PC monitor :shock:. As my knowledge help me to sort this out *cough*:
Crimean Peninsula:
Location - Southern Ukraine region, South-Eastern Europe

Crimean War:
War of Russian Empire from one side and British, French and Ottoman Empires from other side.
Started at october 1853, ended at february 1856. Allied victory (very close to defeat i would say)

Dear Scorpia, please, dont mix up events.

My ancestor fought at Crimean War.

Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfather by mother line was the lieutenant in 30y Poltavskiy Pehotniy Polk. Took part at the Siege of Sevastopol.

I had an ancestor who fought at Waterloo in the 8th Hussars (Belgian) a story was passed down in my family about him which I found interesting

Back
Top Bottom