Any ancestors who served in the Napoleonic wars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jordan_The_Noble said:
Vicccard said:
Yeah, it's right here. Follow me. Yes, this door. Mind the step, the room's a little dark.

:mrgreen:

Sorry but I'll prefer to stay out of the small dark room with hormonal men with big genitals, for now.

Well I most certainly do not count myself with those!  :wink:

Vicccard said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:
Vicccard said:
Yeah, it's right here. Follow me. Yes, this door. Mind the step, the room's a little dark.

:mrgreen:

Sorry but I'll prefer to stay out of the small dark room with hormonal men with big genitals, for now.

Well I most certainly do not count myself with those!  :wink:

I think you're mistaken, you must certainly be one of them!  :twisted:

Found a pistol of my great great great grandad from the napoleonic wars, when I go to my grandads again I'll take a picture an post it accordingly.

Hey my grandfather has some ol' weapons too!

Germanic flintlock rifle
Enfield 1853
And two Colt 1860s. A Union model and a Confederate one.

And loads of lead. And powder  :mrgreen:

My ancestor was an officer in the St Petersburg Grenadiers (Russian reg) in the Napoleonic Wars.

Although I am not Russian myself, the family has connections to Russia, and, although I can't remember his name at this time, we're pretty sure we are related  :mrgreen:

I've no idea about the Napoleonic Wars, the earliest I can find is one of my ancestors serving in the Royal Engineers in The Boer War. I know that my great-great granddad was in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in WW1, though he died in 1915 a bit north of the Somme. My great-granddad was a member of the military police in WW2, and served as a guard in the Nuremberg trials.

I come from Portugal, and even though i will probably never know if i did have ancestors fighting in that period, i like to think i did. And, they probably did, since my Dad's family comes from "Alentejo" where many regiments recruited their soldiers. I guess there's no way of being sure about it...

Jeez, so much history to be had.

On the subject of WW2 and such, I have a few great uncles who served in the German army during the war.

One in the Whermacht 6th Army who survived Stalingrad and the imprisonment that followed, though he died sometime shortly after his return home.

Two in the SS, one whom is apparently still hiding in Poland somewhere. Never met the guy, but my grandmother calls him all sorts of nasty names.

And then my Great Grandfather Otto Neumann was in the German Navy. Though I'm not quite sure what ship, or if he saw any combat.

Never noticed any ancestors that was an active soldier in the Napoleonic Wars, But my great great grandfather William A. Lannigan served the 69th New York volunteer regiment at the civil war. I think he died at one of the major battles. My grandfather Aaron Lannigan served as a sergeant during WWII, his leg was shot at Caen if I remember correctly and i think he was send home at 1944.  :grin:

Interesting how the thread is called, "Any ancestors who served in the Napoleonic wars?", yet people say they haven't had ancestore that they know of in the wars, and instead give us some **** about ancestors in other wars.

There's a reason why we're looking back for the Napoleonic Wars. To see if we've had family server together or fight each other.

Great (great?) grandfather served in the Italian cavalry Don't know when or if he saw combat, not much is known about him.

According to the Oracle of Truth, Google, it appears that an individual bearing my surname, Brasseur (Brewer or breast stroker, whichever floats yer boat), was a Sous-lieutenant in the 1er compagnie of the 1er bataillon of the 1st régiment of the Grenadier à Pied de la Garde Impériale in 1810, which is so extremely ******** amazing. That being said, however, my name is very common in both France and Québec so we may not be related, as I don't know which region my paternal family is from or anything about this Sous-lieutenant. My father and I bear a great deal of resemblance to Napoléon I and II respectively (my avatar is supposedly a very accurate depiction of me)... I've been dieing to do one of those illegitimate children DNA tests.

I actually found a plaque dedicated to all of the French soldiers who fell in battle during WW2 in the Bayeux Cathedral in June. Apparently a man named Ernest Brasseur died in 1940 protecting France. Sadly, there was a German flag draped beside this memorial (I have the utmost respect for German soldiers and civilians, but this just didn't seem right).

I also remember finding out that Arthur Wellesley is related to the Cusack family, my maternal family, which means that he too is (somewhat) French...

His great-great-great-great-great (not entirely sure on the number of greats, but the guy died almost 200 years before Arty was born) grandfather was married to a Cusack, so it's not exactly a close relation.

Back
Top Bottom