Any ancestors who served in the Napoleonic wars?

Users who are viewing this thread

jezza93

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Any of you have any ancestors who served in this war or any in the 18/19th centuries?

I know of one Lieutenant Thomas Hutton of the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards. I cannot be certain of relation but I do know I am related to a Thomas Hutton who lived in Dublin around this period (1805-1815) His  brothers William and Robert may also have been an ensign in the 2nd Foot and Lieutenant in the 7th East India,though these are not quite such certain ties as there were men of such names serving in these regiments,yet I cannot be 100% sure.
I also have a Captain Howard Hutton of the Frontier light Horse in the Anglo-Zulu war.

What about you lads?

Aye.

One of my relatives served under Blucher at Waterloo. Unfortunately I don't know the specific regiment. I know that he survived and my family still has his uniform and everything well taken care of.

I've also heard rumors that I had another relative who was a Prussian Grenadier as well, but I've yet to find any proof of that. Either way, it's something to be proud of. Blucher was a bad ass.

LittleGuy said:
Aye.

One of my relatives served under Blucher at Waterloo. Unfortunately I don't know the specific regiment. I know that he survived and my family still has his uniform and everything well taken care of.

I've also heard rumors that I had another relative who was a Prussian Grenadier as well, but I've yet to find any proof of that. Either way, it's something to be proud of. Blucher was a bad ass.

Still have his uniform? Blimey that really is something!

I'm American, I have ancestors of every war. But seriously still have a bunch of Greek on my Fathers side and southern or originally English on my mothers side so I probably do. I have no idea how I would go about these things, would be cool to learn more.

I presumebly have an ancestor who fought in the irish rebellion of 1798 at the Battle of Castlebar and others, serving with Wolfe Tone and the French expeditionary force fighting the British.

Nearly every american on this forum has family member who fought in the War of the States.

One of my Ancestors served as a Sergeant in the 24th Massachusetts Volunteers and around the end of the war made captain.

My family on my mum's side emigrated here from Northamptonshire in 1813, so I'm shady on our family histories before then, but I have no doubt we had SOMEONE in the NW's.

Well these are the ones that I know about:

Sir Roger Vaughan of Bredwardine - Hundred Years War
Captain Jacob Shartle - American Revolution
George Darby - War of 1812
Patrick Harford - American Civil War

Many of my relatives served in during the Swedish Empire and fought battles like Narva and Poltava. Though I dont know if any relatives fought in the Napoleonic Wars, but I'm pretty sure someone did.

I have irish relatives, scottish, and english, and my second name is welsh, so my bets are, someone down the line in my family fought at somepoint, somewhere at some time.

my great great great grandpa might have served in the french line grenadiers but i dont remember that well

I dont think I have a relative that served in an army that was active during the Napoleonic wars.

One of my grandfathers served under Mannerheim during the Finnish winter war and was awarded the Mannerheim Cross of Liberty.

My great, great, great, great, great Grandfather and his son (my other great grandad) were not in the army, although I discovered they were on the "Posse Comitatus" of 1798, which was a series of defence lists, basically at the time France was threatening an invasion of England, so the British governement made this Posse Comitatus lists. Their intention was to organise reserves of men not already serving in a military capacity for the defence of Britain against a French invasion.

I don't know whether any fought in the Wars, but I greatly wish to find out.

Mine was in the "La compagnie des Marins de la Garde de Napoleon" in Bretagne and unfortunately didn't survive at Trafalgar , from my father I'm in long line of Marins since 1800 and maybe more.My grandfather's grandpa was in the first World War 1. And my grandfather 's father was a resistant. He was allowing the boats to get away from the coast and guide them at Operation Dynamo.

romandude said:
not really sure, however does anyone know where i can go to find out such info?

Well if your British you can check the annual officer lists of the army and cross reference any names with descendants alive at the time.
But to be honest,and this is pretty blunt. If your family weren't considered Gentlemen then it is highly unlikely that your related to any officers.

It is extremely hard to find out about the enlisted men.

jezza93 said:
romandude said:
not really sure, however does anyone know where i can go to find out such info?

Well if your British you can check the annual officer lists of the army and cross reference any names with descendants alive at the time.
But to be honest,and this is pretty blunt. If your family weren't considered Gentlemen then it is highly unlikely that your related to any officers.

It is extremely hard to find out about the enlisted men.
my fathers side were british, although i have no idea what there social status was. whether or not though can i have a link to the officer lists?
edit: found them  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom