Map - Liscannor Bay [1.01]

Users who are viewing this thread

Lazuli

Recruit
This map is free for any server to host.

[size=14pt]Download 1.01: scn_scene_614.sco

Scenes.txt
scn_scene_6 scene_6 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x0000000330000500000d234800000abc0000089800003d45
sea_outer_terrain_2

Overview
EZZ8I.jpg

oGmM6.jpg

Liscannor Bay is a European bay style map with a focus on trading and resource collecting, along with the inevitable warfare that follows it. The trading is done by giving 4 factions 2 - 3 resources that are cheap and easy to get near their castles, but expensive to buy in the castles far away from them. This allows enterprising merchants to buy low in one village, then go across the map and sell it for profit.

UoPw4.jpg

But trading isn't the only way to make money. On a small island outside the bay is a ruined fort protecting a gold and silver mine. An ambitious kingdom will want to load a ship with serfs and soldier to take advantage of this resource before the enemy does. The fort cannot be captured and has few resources besides the mine. It also has many gaps in the wall, but an engineer can construct walls to seal the mine from enemies. Gold is by far the most valuable resource on the map; whichever kingdom controls the mine will no doubt have the upper hand in whatever conflict arises.

hpd9G.jpg

Some people are not interested in trading, sailing, or the strife of warfare. For those who want to peacefully craft and gather resources, a village lies on the far end of the map away from all the castles. It has its own faction, but cannot be captured, nor can it capture other castles.

8DSL0.jpg

A trading outpost at the middle of the map serves as the commoner spawn point and social hub. An inn with commoner and mercenary training is located here, along with several specialized shops, including: A blacksmith with iron weapons and armor, a leather armor store, a tailor, a ranged weapons shop, an arabic trade ship, and a large stable with every horse in the game. The docks along the coast have 2 sailing ships. It also has a warehouse that can export all materials. This is also where gold and silver bars are sold.

RX01M.jpg

Pordisett Castle
Each kingdom specializes in gathering 2 - 3 resources, and 2 types of weapons. Pordisett Castle has:
-Wine Fields
-Fish nets
-Cheaper blunt weapons and crossbows
-Docks with 1 ship

1U46U.jpg

Laszloburg Castle
-Adjacent Iron mine
-Wheat Fields
-Cheaper horses, lances, and saddles

dpOhb.jpg

Osvirklif Castle
-Nearby forest for lumber
-Animal hunting for meat and leather
-Nearby salt mines
-Cheaper axes and bows

DPmwF.jpg

Montibeil Castle
-Flax fields
-Fishing nets
-Nearby salt mines
-Dock with 1 ship
-cheaper swords and spears

Map Notes
-Each faction has 1 castle with an adjacent village. The castles have a Keep, Barracks, and Prison. The villages have a Stockpile, Inn, and Smithy.
-All peasant training is done at inns. All soldier training is done in keeps.
-Each castle has a hunting crossbow on the walls with bolts and arrows available for purchase.
-All castles can collect iron, wood, and food in some form without encroaching on anothers' territory. Some can just collect those resources easier than others.
-Other settlements on the map include: 2 outlaw camps, a foot arena, a jousting field, and a church with books inside.

Original Post

Hello, I've played Persistent World on and off for about a year or so, but now that there are some NA servers I've found myself playing a lot more. So I've decided to give back to the community by creating a new map to play on.

The planned features are to have the scene take place in a coastal bay, with:
-4 Castles w/ adjacent villages
-1 Central Trading Post
-1 Neutral Village for commoners
-2 Outlaw Camps
-3 Docks
-3 Iron mines on the mainland
-And 1 small island mine in the bay with gold inside

The gold mine island has a small ruined fort but can't be captured. The idea is that the 4 kingdoms would each struggle to control the island and gain the upper hand against the others, putting an emphasis on naval combat. However, all other resources can be found on the mainland, so no one has to go sailing if they don't want to.

I have the basic layout of the terrain finished so far; but since this is my first map for Mount & Blade, if anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to here them.

Screenshots:

It's called Liscannor Bay because it's based on the actual Liscannor Bay in western Ireland.

p8r6o.jpg

Update 9/11

TzXGN.png

WbCUL.jpg

Ht3hZ.jpg

eKyKy.jpg

Update 9/14

kVoYq.jpg

4HWyz.jpg

tKK8x.jpg

9amKW.jpg

9r4e0.jpg

MOkUn.jpg

SKdQ0.jpg

UKcx2.jpg

Hugues said:
A scene based on real terrain, I'm interested!

It isn't uncommon, it's just uncommon that said scene sees the light of day/isn't for an event or server exclusive for a server that promptly dies.

OT:

Good terrain choice and realization! I haven't seen a topographical map of the actual bay, but what you've got looks like a good baseline for a Warband scene. The only thing that looks like it could get a wee bit hairy is the river crossings-- I'd recommend things like rope bridges, the occasional ford/downed tree, et ketra, with a minimum of perfectly functional bridges to make horse crossing controllable to a degree but travel through on foot far harder to regulate (and thus trolling of random people much harder but robbing of carts/blocking of armies on the move much more streamlined).

Anyway. Feel free to disregard that, as long as you make a scene you feel good about you shouldn't feel beholden to any "iron law" of map design. Get crazy with it and you may wind up inventing a new one.

@Azrayel: I actually have 3 - 4 fords in the river marked by gravel, and since the river has a steep slope it's difficult for horses to cross. I am thinking of adding a rope bridge on the southern river though.

Also, I can't teleport without a dedicated server, so I haven't been able to test this, but if I place an interior anywhere below 0 will it be submerged? Or does the water level have a limit below ground? I want to know before I start making interiors.

Update

Map's coming along well so far, all 4 castles havebeen laid down, along with the neutral village and gold mine.

As you may be able to see I added a suspension bridge on the south river.
TzXGN.png

Here's some screenshots of some of the areas that are more finished than the others, the VIllage and Gold Mine

WbCUL.jpg

Ht3hZ.jpg

eKyKy.jpg

The Gold mine island will have some ruins that can offer a little defense against invaders, but it has a bunch of gaps in the wall. If you have an engineer however, you can construct wooden walls to fill in those gaps, and make it harder for enemies to take your gold!

All 4 castles also have interiors as well by now. Next I need to work on the four faction villages, docks, bandit camps, and the trading outpost. I'm thinking of adding an arena somewhere too if I have room. Afterwards I'll add foliage and other aesthetic details.

Update

I've been working on the map a lot and I think the exterior is nearly done.

kVoYq.jpg

4HWyz.jpg

tKK8x.jpg

9amKW.jpg

9r4e0.jpg

MOkUn.jpg

SKdQ0.jpg

UKcx2.jpg

The trading outpost is completely finished, complete with interiors and docks. It has an inn with commoner and mercenary training and an export warehouse, along with several stores: an iron smithy with iron armor and weapons, a leather armor store, a tailor, a ranged weapon store, an arabian trade ship, and a stable with every horse in the game inside.

I also had room for not just an arena but also a jousting field. The foot arena is on the forest side of the map, which has better foot soldiers. The jousting field is on the plains side of the map, which has better horseman. They're located between their respective kingdoms to make organized battles an alternative to besieging each others' castles. Or for anyone who wants to grab a wooden sword and duel.

I've started to add the 4 faction villages but they're still unfinished. The idea is that each faction will have 2 - 3 resources it can easily acquire. To balance this those resources are cheaper in that village's stockpile. This also means that merchants can actually go to say the Wine making village and fill a cart with wine. They can then take that cart to the other side of the map where wine is hard to find and sell it for a higher price, making profit.

This means that going to war with another castle could deplete you of certain resources. Each castle can still acquire wood, iron, and food fairly easily though, and the neutral village has most everything at a base price. But it might make things more interesting, especially for those who want to play a merchant trader instead of laboring for their money.

The overhead looks good; I hope to find some time to see what it looks like from feet on the ground's perspective if I ever get some free time when this is released  :grin:

This mod can always use more well-made maps like this one.

Alright, I'm going to call this map finished now. I'll edit the first post with some of the completed screenshots and list of features.

In the meantime, how do I upload this map so other people can use it? Should I give the file an original name, or a "map_number" name, and if so what number would be good? And also, would any server like to host this map?

Lazuli said:
In the meantime, how do I upload this map so other people can use it? Should I give the file an original name, or a "map_number" name, and if so what number would be good? And also, would any server like to host this map?
Use one of the many file hosting sites available - filesmelt.com is one that seems to be used by other scene creators, or you could use something like the M&B nexus - then upload the scene file named however you like, since the server hoster will have to change it to a name they aren't using for another scene, setting the terrain code and outer mesh for the appropriate entry in scenes.txt to the values you must supply along with your download. See this thread for an example of a recent fully public scene (not many are, these days).

Back
Top Bottom