VÍGVELLIR – make and show your own maps

Users who are viewing this thread

And another doodle. Nothing special, but I think this game needs more landscapes with deciduous trees. I wanted to give at least the suggestion of being close to woodland. I fear more trees would kill performance. Anyway, the paths are slightly sunken.

Perhaps I could give it the generic name Dúnland, which is Old English for 'hilly country'. (From Old English dún comes Modern English down, both the noun and the adverb and preposition.)

2dl11ck.jpg

f4dw85.jpg

24nmhc5.jpg

10yl5zt.jpg

These maps look great! They look natural and good to play in. I love the feeling of space in the last one! Sunken roads are a good idea as well.

I edited a map and would like so see some report. :smile:

Added village
064f3118e8.jpg

1312d303e5.jpg

0476a91012.jpg

9ab28029a6.jpg

c0f1c76435.jpg

b119db7cf2.jpg

39e798ac2a.jpg

http://image-upload.de/image/7y8NmP/4154ec9542.jpg

Added longboat
283c80c0f8.jpg

8b6e7f79bc.jpg

Corpse
3422212c07.jpg

Éadríc said:
Anyway, the paths are slightly sunken.

...Slightly sunken you say, why yes. WHY YES!

Bjorn is in Australia, why not let loose the slopes? GODDAMN YOU ALL slope lovers. You just wait til I return and convince every team I'm ever on to draw the fight to the flat. This being said I will add with restraint that it looks great.

Ragnar, Vikingr has had a long tradition of rain without cloud. Might you be the one to put an end to it?

Also: remember people! What matters most in a map is points of convergence: is the place teams are most likely to meet most interesting to fight at?

Éadríc said:
Perhaps I could give it the generic name Dúnland, which is Old English for 'hilly country'. (From Old English dún comes Modern English down, both the noun and the adverb and preposition.)

So that's where Tolkien got the name. Doesn't Dun or Dún also mean something in Brythonnic?

In the Middle-earthian name it is not dún but dun, with a short vowel, meaning "dun, brownish". The word itself might be a Brythonic loanword into Old English, but that is disputed, and it is perhaps more likely that both Germanic and Celtic inherited it from Proto-Indo-European.

Yes, I love that word! If it was borrowed from Celtic it must have happened in the Old Germanic era already. But it was probably inherited directly from Proto-Indo-European.

Old English dun(n) seems to originally have meant something like 'bright brown, bright dark', like the fur of healthy beasts. It is presumably the first element in Old English names like Dunstán 'bright dark stone' and Dunhere/Dunnere 'bright dark warrior'. The latter name has a direct cognate in archaic Dutch Donner/Donder, still found in the last name Donners/Donders '(son) of Donner/Donder', not to be confused with donder 'thunder'. Another, archaic Saxon Dutch (first) name with this element is Dunnink 'bright dark one', not to be confused with Dutch dun 'thin'.

But by itself the word was also attested on the mainland as Old Saxon dun, as a gloss for Latin spadix 'chestnut brown' (of horses).

Wernicke said:
Éadríc said:

So that's where Tolkien got the name. Doesn't Dun or Dún also mean something in Brythonnic?

No. It's Gaelic and it references a fort.

Some work on the Jomsborg map. (Edited Faernabo) This is my second map.

Ship building.
49cccf6ff7.jpg

Longboats,bringing some loot at home.
d40777934a.jpg

Inside of it. (Not edited)
42a99dcf28.jpg

New Faernabo longhouse
1e7a51c861.jpg

Another longhouse with horse decoration on the roof
3381b067b3.jpg

Inside of it.
557e9b4a17.jpg
70a34f2129.jpg
2c253b0e20.jpg
f7d10b6e8d.jpg

Small house,outside,weapons on the wall.
c06ddbeadc.jpg

Gate 1 + wall.
1eef029143.jpg

Gate 2 + wall.
3090fdaff3.jpg

Meadhall house. (No Inn included)
6e2581f721.jpg

Simple house.
1c25a521b7.jpg

Some items,shields,helmets,etc at the Faernabo longhouse.
fkFW5K

Runestone.
91f685a916.jpg

Replies are welcome. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom