[Tavern] - Discussions & Debates

Users who are viewing this thread

Let's join this epic discussion:

dutch.jpg

fbz_c9cd586d16a578f480337b184435e2ca.jpg

So true...

Ahh... fine, i think. (I am not racist and I don't hate Irish people, I SWEAR!)
Well, since most of my recent posts are could be more classified as discussion (and to help to keep the forum clean), i would like to start the first discussion on this thread.
I have something for underdogs, specially on Europe 1805. On the v1, i even made a Serbian officer. He fought with musket and an axe. Pretty badass, but, sadly, i cant play with the same character for to long. So... i don't have great tales of his testosterone filled and brewery filled manliness to show you.
However, i am planing to make another officer of an underdog faction. This game brought many changes, so maybe the balance of power have changed. With this in mind, i enquire you, gentlemen: Who is the underest (is this a word?) most under of all dogs on Europe 1805 V2? The faction with the weakest (or least well equipped) army, preferentially infantry (horses are for sissies), or the faction in the most terrible starting state thanks to its neighboors, etc. Just tell me the faction which the only salvation would be the sheer hairy manliness of an officer. MY officer. (or yours. I kinda s*cks at long therm games, so... fell free to tell about your characters, guys)

RodriguesSting said:
Ahh... fine, i think. (I am not racist and I don't hate Irish people, I SWEAR!)
Well, since most of my recent posts are could be more classified as discussion (and to help to keep the forum clean), i would like to start the first discussion on this thread.
I have something for underdogs, specially on Europe 1805. On the v1, i even made a Serbian officer. He fought with musket and an axe. Pretty badass, but, sadly, i cant play with the same character for to long. So... i don't have great tales of his testosterone filled and brewery filled manliness to show you.
However, i am planing to make another officer of an underdog faction. This game brought many changes, so maybe the balance of power have changed. With this in mind, i enquire you, gentlemen: Who is the underest (is this a word?) most under of all dogs on Europe 1805 V2? The faction with the weakest (or least well equipped) army, preferentially infantry (horses are for sissies), or the faction in the most terrible starting state thanks to its neighboors, etc. Just tell me the faction which the only salvation would be the sheer hairy manliness of an officer. MY officer. (or yours. I kinda s*cks at long therm games, so... fell free to tell about your characters, guys)

I would say Montenegro... After ca. 30 day It has been annexed by the Ottomans, who had some help from Batavians. Or maybe the Duchy of Warsaw, when it comes to life. They have one single city

Count Roland said:
I would say Montenegro... After ca. 30 day It has been annexed by the Ottomans, who had some help from Batavians. Or maybe the Duchy of Warsaw, when it comes to life. They have one single city
LOL. In my game, it has been annexed by the Bavarians, again with some help of the Batavians! :lol: If you're looking for a badass conquering semi-satelite of France, look no further: The Dutch! :mrgreen:

RodriguesSting said:
Who is the underest (is this a word?) most under of all dogs on Europe 1805 V2? The faction with the weakest (or least well equipped) army, preferentially infantry (horses are for sissies), or the faction in the most terrible starting state thanks to its neighboors, etc. Just tell me the faction which the only salvation would be the sheer hairy manliness of an officer. MY officer. (or yours. I kinda s*cks at long therm games, so... fell free to tell about your characters, guys)
Well, in this version the balance of powers aren't much changed since v.1; I would say, Montenegro's soldiers aren't well equipped; They use Russian muskets (some of the worst ever), and their army is primarily infantry-based. Also, their faction is small.
But, if you are looking for a faction that is constantly at war, gets looting armies over its territory like no other faction, which officers suffer defeat after defeat, in short, which has to fight a particulary dirty war to survive, you are looking for Bavaria. It is located at the very gates of Austria, with Wuerttemberg between it and France, and is allied with France from the start of the game (which means every Austrian and Russian army on its way to France gets over Bavaria first). It starts with only one city, and three villages which get constantly looted throughout the game. However, the soldiers are well-equipped, and, although Bavaria has no Grenadiers or Heavy cavalry, their small forces have the firepower and accuracy of the Austrian musket at their disposal. But consider that most of its armies are constantly being beaten by everyone else, making it almost impossible to gather a truly strong army for Bavaria.
Or maybe Serbia may be something for you: Infantry-only, under-average at melee, and they aren't really good shooters either. Some of them may have the excellent Austrian musket, but they never seem to make good use of it.

EDIT:
So, to summarise: If you want tiny little armies with bad equipment, go Balkan. If you want small armies with better equipment, go for a small German State. Like Bavaria, or Saxony (which gets beated by Prussia as soon as they start a war eventually).
By the way, the Saxon army is rather obsolete too, just like the Prussians and Nassuvians. The Hessians have good Hussars and Grenadiers, and Wuerttemberg is just a cool badass faction with dashing Jaegers zu Pferd (but their infantry uses the under-average Prussian musket too).
If you want to be constantly at war, with the other officers most of the time getting beated by everyone, go Bavaria.

Captured Joe said:
[...] If you want to be constantly at war, with the other officers most of the time getting beated by everyone, go Bavaria.

Going Bavaria right now. Let us see if i can make a good army of them. Maybe will try with the Serbians or Montenegrin latter. Thanks you guys for the participation, and if any of you have another underdog to show us, fell free to add.

Now, tell us of the great tales of bravary from your underdog officers, which you managed to conquer vast lands and put the great empires to their knees with those puny factions. Inspire us, to forsake the Cuirassiers and British Rifles to embrace the cold of the Balkans and the war ragged land of Germany.  :cool:

Well, I had a kinda underdog officer of Bavaria, but he just made loads and loads of money from his investments and village raids, he bought commisions up to the rank of Marshall out of his salary of Town Mayor (or whatever he's called, military governor of Weilburg?), he became marshall and conquered three German states (Hesse-Kassel, Nassau and Wuerttemberg), he messed up the balance of Power somehow so that Bavaria went to war with countries of both sides (no shortage of enemies to vanquish), and he destroyed Montenegro before he got his Lieutenant commision.
I started a new Bavaria char today, but he's already showing signs of becoming a rich warlord instead of the relatively poor, hard-working junior officer I intend him to be. :???:

Actually I haven't tried out Saxony yet (mainly because they start the game at peace), but they may be a decent underdog as well. In reality, they were a hell of an underdog: They had good soldiers, but their training, organisation, equipment and tactics were all obsolete; Their uniforms were still in the style of the 7 Years' War, and their officers weren't as good as most other countries. But the quality of their Cavalry was great, and as allies for Napoleon they were very loyal (or at least their King was), and they performed very well on occasions (overshadowed by the bad performance and rout at Wagram, mainly caused by bad leadership and Bernadotte's bad leadership). I think i'll try them out sooner or later too.

Well... i started my game as a infantry officer from the Bavarians and i must say that, in less than half hour, i already got a statue on Munich. Seriously... those guys have a lot of strife on their lands. At least, i will have the opportunity to make an officer with a name without the need to wait for the campaigns. It's just a shame that their infantry don't have more evolutions. They didn't had Jaegers? Grenadiers? And... how they are better musketeers than the Austrian ones?

Bavaria stands still with me too. They are at war with half of europe, but no one managed to conquer them so far. Well... I didn't even tried yet, just routed a few armies of them. I'm still busy in Russia. :smile:

RodriguesSting said:
Well... i started my game as a infantry officer from the Bavarians and i must say that, in less than half hour, i already got a statue on Munich. Seriously... those guys have a lot of strife on their lands. At least, i will have the opportunity to make an officer with a name without the need to wait for the campaigns. It's just a shame that their infantry don't have more evolutions. They didn't had Jaegers? Grenadiers? And... how they are better musketeers than the Austrian ones?
They shoot just as good as the Austrians.
Historically, each regiment had a group of Grenadiers, and a group of Schuetzen (sharpshooters), the former with a red plume on their helmet, and the latter with a green plume. They weren't that special.
They also had a single Grenadier regiment, the Guards Grenadiers, but those never fought in the war.

And of course they had some Light infantry regiments, which are also in the game.

Count Roland said:
Bavaria stands still with me too. They are at war with half of europe, but no one managed to conquer them so far.
Yeah, the big AI factions have little interest of capturing enemy cities, especially if it's the last center remaining of a faction.

Gotta say i am in love with Bavaria. There is always the opportunity to fight (without the need to travel too much, so i can always keep my ranks fresh), and my musketeer exclusive army is cutting through the Austrian cavalry exclusive army like hot knife in butter. Or like bayonet usually do to any horseman. Glorious. Simply... glorious.

However, i feel those awesome guys deserve a little better attention than they currently have. Even that their field army didn't consisted of anything more than dragons (didn't tested those guys yet), regular and light infantry, i believe that there is a way to improve these armies with some more variety and tactical use without loosing the historical accuracy: Veteran Light Infantry.
Without spending too much words, their infantry evolution would work something like that:

Bavarian Regular
          |
          |
          |________________________________________
          |                                                                              |
Bavarian Light Infantry                                      Bavarian Veteran Regular
          |
          |
Bavarian Veteran Light Infantry

This would require a small change into the concept of their light infantry: those guys would work something like the french skirmishers, i believe. Fast infantry to flanking the enemy with small numbers, shooting faster than rifleman, but with less precision, while the line... ahn... holds the line. So, instead of being a intermediary unit between ordinary and veteran regulars, those guys would have a better Athletic skill, (maybe) better Fire Arms value and lower Polearms (because they are not supposed to engage in melee, except in very opportune situations). The veterans would, simply, be a improved version of them (with the better aim, if you didn't let them have it at first). This, i believe, would bring variety to most basic factions of this game whose armies are similar.

What you think, guys?

Nice idea I think. :smile:

Anyways the Bavarian cavalary is not that bad. The AI uses it stupidly, but there is a lot of opportunity in them, if you command them personally. Ride to the enemy. Turn a bit away, so you can get them from the flanks, fire a few shots and ride back to your lines. If you arrive in time, while the enemy troops are reloading,you can cause heavy casulaties.

I don't know wether or not it will disturb the in-game balance, but it sounds good. And maybe the Wuerttembergers could get some foot Jaegers too...

And their cavalry kicks ass; I have turned off the formations, and now they slaughter Austrian Grenadiers :shock:

Wait, Wuerttembergers cavalry or Bavarian ones?
And since I started writing, i am going to put some more suggestions about the armies here:

- Make all the armies that have a low variety of units (like Italy, Spain, Portugal [GO CAÇADORES], etc) have an Veteran variety of their units. That would give more variety and tactical value to go against the big empires (or the small but ferocious factions, as Bavaria).

- Make us unable to recruit those veterans trough Warrant Officers, only being able to get them trough unit evolution. Seriously guys, Veteran means that they are battle hardened soldiers. I don't think you should be able to get those guys only handing a handfull coins to an officer on the Boulevard. It kinda makes them seem banal to the player. You don't really try to keep them alive. So... Veterans, only trough battle. This would, also, reduce the chance of messing the power balance by giving the factions more units (and, however, restricting their recruitment).

What you guys think about this?

1: That... is already so, I beleive?
2: They are more expensive than recruits or regulars, so they should be more valuable to the player. Only rich and rather high-ranking officers can afford them, IMO.

Ahn... if so, sorry for the unnecessary post.  :sad:

Anyway, discovered a good tactic when fighting cavalry only armies: have your musketeer army (c'mon, you aren't fighting with rifle, are you? What are you, a girl? IS THAT IT?!) on a square, closed formation, and put them near the rear end of the map. The cavalry will not try to pass trough (at least, when someone is leading them), since they seem to be programed to stay way from the invisible walls (the famed "horseman killers" from the vanilla), and will probably just pass trough your formation, take a plenty of shoots. When their numbers is reduced, they lost the discipline and will charge to the bayonets. Seriously, I've taken like 57 Austrian Kuirassier (don't remember how to write it down) and Polish Uhlans loosing nothing more than 8 Bavarian Veteran Regulars (those guys are awesome... and cheap), on even number at the start. The same battle that, if i left on the hands of the computer, would lost the entire army before killing half of them.

Captured Joe said:
1: That... is already so, I beleive?
2: They are more expensive than recruits or regulars, so they should be more valuable to the player. Only rich and rather high-ranking officers can afford them, IMO.

Well... Not all units have a veteran version. Austrian Grenadier doesn't and I think most of the grenadiers doesn't have veteran.
The Tyrolean Jäger can be hired as veteran: Tyrolean Jäger Veteran and you can upgrade it into Tyrolean Jäger Veteran. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom