Uniforms, With a Twist!

Users who are viewing this thread

I started this thread originally on the EPI Forums (Shameless advertisement, ho!), and I decided to bring forth the idea to the community. The premise is very simple:

1. Take a uniform from your liking, from the Napoleonic Era (or a tad earlier, should you wish).
2. Take said uniform and add some spice to it. Make it unique to your tastes!
3. Or, if you feel a bit bold and artistic, make your own design! Use inspiration from other uniforms to forge one for your own! Or, perhaps make a new uniform for a country's army. I.E., a new look for say . . . an infantry regiment.

With that said, do not include any obscene, vulgar, or offensive designs/pictures/etc. Keep it civil, keep it clean, and be creative. Let's see how far this goes! Post some pics, and let's see if we have any potential tailors in the making.  :grin:

P.S. I'd like to apologize for not including a drawing of my own to start things up. I'll more than likely add my own when I manage to sit down and not be lazy.  :mrgreen:

Sounds nice! :grin: I already have some ideas including some Mirliton hats and big fancy helmets! :wink:

EDIT: Let's start with an old one of mine...
Captured Joe said:
If we start making fantasy Napoleonic uniforms, I can just as well post one myself:

(Based partly on 7 Years War Prussian hussars, partly Napoleonic Wuerttemberger Koenig Jaegers, and my own fantasy.)

pod455 said:
I have ideas but no skill to make it happen  :sad:

If I had any artistic skills, this thread would have already been flooded with images of French-Scottish Old Guard grenadiers, Jacobite soldiers (Had the '45 succeeded; Interesting scenario..), and highland rifles.

I cobbled a little something together using Mr. Alexis Cabaret's images.
regiment_de_grenadiers_a_cheval_de_la_garde_imperi_by_stgene-d5czj50.png

Le Régiment de Grenadiers à Cheval de la Garde Impériale
"Les Giants" ou "Les Dieux"
(Lieutenant, 1er Escadron, après-1815 uniforme)​

The regiments of Horse Carabiniers were weakened by desertion and heavy casualties taken when they, alongside with the Guard Horse Grenadiers broke several of Welington's infantry squares and caused the mass rout of the Anglo-Dutch army. While this was mostly due to the fact that the news of Blücher's hard-fought and costly defeat by Marshal Grouchy and subsequent retreat towards the Rhine had already spread through Wellington's army, no one could deny the heroism and sacrifice displayed by the elite heavy cavalry regiments. In recognition of their deeds (and to bring the Horse Grenadiers up to full strength), the remnants of the Carabiniers would be inducted into the Guard Horse Grenadiers. Furthermore, the helmets previously issued to the Carabiniers would be given to the Guard Gendarmes, and the cuirasses would be given to the Guard Horse Grenadiers. Thus, the Horse Grenadiers would have the protection of their armor while retaining their beloved bearskins.

Deviantart page here: http://stgene.deviantart.com/art/Regiment-de-Grenadiers-a-Cheval-de-la-Garde-Imperi-324144036

TheBoberton said:
pod455 said:

If I had any artistic skills, this thread would have already been flooded with images of French-Scottish Old Guard grenadiers, Jacobite soldiers (Had the '45 succeeded; Interesting scenario..), and highland rifles.

As a fellow Scotsman, I think I can whip up something...:wink: Loch Moigh! Alba gu bràth!

Edit 1: Never mind. Completely changing a red coat to a proper Scottish blue without losing any of the shading is beyond my meagre capabilities. I'll keep trying, but don't hold your breath.  :sad:
Edit 2: Decided to make him an officer.

Bumpity-bump. I apologise for the double post, but I appear to have scared everyone away.

Alrighty, perhaps we shall make it easier? A history of a fictional regiment, not necessarily a picture of their uniform. A Royalist regiment still wearing white coats and bicornes who followed the Bourbons into exile, American mercenary riflemen, anything!

Nice Kenobi!

The Muffin King said:

A Scottish bonnet, British hussar's pelisse, Spanish general's sash and cuffs...where is this intrepid soldier from?

TheBoberton said:
pod455 said:

:grin: I DID IT! Loch Moigh! Alba gu bràth!

sergent_porte_fanion__1er_bataillon_by_stgene-d5e11na.png
3eme_regiment_de_grenadiers_a_pied_de_la_garde_imp_by_stgene-d5dyhlb.png
sapeur__1er_bataillon_by_stgene-d5e1bby.png

3éme Régiment de Grenadiers à Pied de la Garde Impériale
"Les Gardes Écossais"
(Grenadier, 1er Bataillon, après-1815 uniforme)​

The 3rd Regiment of Guard Grenadiers was founded after the end of the long War of the Seventh Coalition. While Napoleon repeatedly defeated the Coalition forces on the mainland, the Irish Legion crossed the Channel and landed in Ireland, losing almost three-quarters of their men and supplies to the Royal Navy. However, the Legion soon found that there was an overabundance of young Irish men eager to free their country and kill Englishmen, so that in three weeks the Legion was actually stronger than it had been before they embarked. The campaign that followed was reminiscent of Napoleon's Italian Campaign. Major Hugh Ware led his ragtag army to victory after victory as the Irish easily overpowered the British garrisons and yeomanry. Once the island was liberated, it was a simple matter to cross over into Scotland as the British military suddenly found that every Irishman in their employ began using their weapons in the service of their homeland.

Upon landing in Scotland, Ware contacted every Jacobite clan he could, asking them to rise up and join him in liberating their country. Immediately, bagpipes began their wild, skirling tunes as the clansmen seized whatever weapons they could find and rallied to their chiefs. The first to join Ware were the clans of the Chattan Confederation; Clan Clan Mackintosh, Clan Macpherson, Clan Davidson, Clan Farquharson, Clan MacBain, Clan MacGillivray, Clan Macintyre of Badenoch, Clan MacLean of Dochgarroch, Clan MacPhail, Clan MacQueen, Clan MacThomas, Clan Shaw, and Clan Cattanach. The liberation of Scotland followed the same route as the liberation of Ireland, although at a slower pace. By this point the Welsh and Cornish had also begun their own uprisings, and suddenly all the Celtic nations of the British Isles had declared war on their English oppressors.

Once the war was over and a peace treaty had secured the independence of the Celtic nations (from London, anyway), Napoleon asked that each provide a regiment of infantry or cavalry to serve in his reorganized Imperial Guard. The Scots formed the grenadier companies of the Black Watch and other Highland regiments who had formerly served King George III into the 3rd Regiment of Grenadiers.

Edit1: Changed to Grenadier. Still working on the pike and claymore!
Edit2: Added sergeant w/ fanion and sapper.

Back
Top Bottom