Mapper Tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Eskalior

Recruit
Hello Community!

I already had a mapper tutorial but I deleted my old account. Now I want to bring it up again and add some new things.
With this Guide you should be able to map well even if you don't know anything about it.

At first I want to say how I learned mapping:
The only thing I was told was CTRL+E, the rest I did myself by reading the ingame help. I wrote this to show you that no big guide is needed to map, but it's very helpful and I would have been thankful if there was one at my time.

I have to say that mapping is fun for me, but you need much time and a feeling for it to make good maps.

Structure:
1. From the launcher to the Scene-editing
2. The edit - panel
3. The Key bindings:
4. Tips for a good start
5. How to test my map?
6. Things you should know

7. The Persistent engine

1. From the launcher to the Scene-editing

Ok let's start:
Start your M&B Launcher and go to options.
> go to the video section and enable window mode (or you switch it ingame by pressing ALT + enter )
> go to the last section and enable edit mode
Then you choose as module any PW4, best would be PW4_beta4.
Now you did everything in options you need. Window mode and edit mode are the only requirements.

Now start the game.
Next you go to Multiplayer > Host game/Edit Scene
Then choose a map. It doesn't matter if there are already some things on the map or if there are many mountains. You can change this all.
// If you want a blank scene/your own empty scene/ custom map definitions, there are some other Guides for it //
Ok now you will see you are a naked man in a big world... What to do now? You can't place objects by jumping around...

Let's get help!
Press F1 for general commands and help.
Press F2 for help for the PW-engines, it shows you what parameter is for what.
with F11 you can spawn you a test horse, good for traveling in your own map
The other F- commands are irrelevant, if you still want to know what they are for, press F1

Ok now... you want to build something, right?
Fine. Make sure you are in window mode and then press CTRL+E.
If everything worked fine, a new window should open up with some gray buttons etc.
If not, check if you did everything correctly.

Ok fine, now you are god. Yes you are god. You can change the world however you want, but first the next step.

2. The edit - panel

Ok now, you got a gray window with some buttons you don't understand...
Let's go them one by one:
Ground Texture Paint - Grass can be boring right? Go change it! Make huge steppes, paths and whatever you want by giving your scene some different ground textures!

The radius shows how much ground you paint with one right click.
The Weight replaces the opacity of the texture, less weight will make the edges smoother.
The hardness shows if you paint smoothly ( < 0,5) or hard ( > 0,5 ). I prefer smooth but you can try it out yourself.
Clear all - I don't really have to explain this.

Ground Elevate - You want huge mountains, flat steppes, deep oceans? For this you need the Ground Elevate button.

Up - Elevates the ground up
Down - Elevates the ground down
Smooth - Makes the ground smoother, so it balances it between the highest point in radius and lowest.
Level - elevates the ground to the level you put in, not higher, not lower (except if you stop elevating before it reaches the level)
Radius and Hardness - same as in Texture paint
Weight - Makes the elevate go faster/ slower, i prefer slower because with this you can make exact elevates.

Ground Color Paint - You want blood on the floor? ashes in a burned village, dark brown earth on fields? Then you will need the Ground color paint.
You can take any color you want. White is the standard color so if you did any mistakes you can undo them by whitening them.
I personally use color paint if landscapes look boring like deserts. then I use 50 shades of gray to make it look more dynamic.

Radius, Weight, Hardness - same as in texture Paint

Down the window you can see some changeble numbers. Change them however you want until you get the right color. Then you can start painting by pressing/holding right click.

Edit Objects - For a map you don't need just ground colours, textures and cute hills, no you need buildings and plants.

First you will see a overwhelming amount of changeble things... No reason to fear it, I will explain it one by one:

Selected Object: Shows you what object you have selected, it would be horrible if you want to make a tree bigger and suddenly you get a huge spoon!
Var. No 1 + 2: Mostly you need this for PW engines. IF you ask yourself what to insert, go out of edit mode and press F2.
Scale 1 : Changes the scale of the object in width
Scale 2 : Changes the scale of the object in length
Scale 3 : Changes the scale of the object in height
Invert : like putting a mirror on the object, up gets to down, left to right,...
Pos. X,Y,Z : you won't ever need it, because with a key you can place an object much faster and more accurate
Below a list of objects/at the beginning empty : Shows you what objects you have placed, with a double-click on them you select and edit them. WARNING: May cause crashing if selecting objects this way. But on the other hand it centers you on the object.
Object kinds: Here you can choose between
- Scene props, which contains all objects like houses, miscellaneous, walls, Pw things and so on
- Plants: contains plants and rocks
- Item kinds: contains all items ( not the ones you can buy in PW, they are in scene props)
- Entry points: Entry points for players
- Passage: I dont really know what this is for.
Add Object : Press this to get the selected object out of the object list to your mouse to place it anywhere with a right click. Press it again to have a free mouse and to select already placed objects.
By the way,you also can add objects with a double click. But i won't recommend that because it places it where your camera is and nearly always this is in the wrong place and angle.
Randomize Rotation / Scale : I don't need to explain this. It's good if you want to place multiple objects like many trees, stones...

The weather thing below is not really needed, because for the weather you got your own prop.

Edit Al Mesh: Sorry I can't explain this, I never use this and I don't get understand it. You wont need it for mapping. It's most probably used for Singleplayer maps and not PW so ignore it.

Edit Weather: Also not needed, weather is changed with its own pw_weather prop.

Help: Gives you some help like information about key bindings.

3. The Key bindings:

CTRL + E - go in edit mode (you have to be in window mode)
Right click - Select/place an object/colour/ground
Mouse wheel click - paint grass on the floor
T - change the height of an object
Z - rotate the Z-axis
Y - rotate the y-axis
X - rotate the x-axis
B - change the scale
G - move the selected object
double/triple/... tap W - increases camera movement speed
DEL - Deletes an object
CTRL + S - makes movement smoother
CTRL + H - hides invisible things and you can't select anything. Good for taking screenshots of the map from edit mode

4. Tips for a good start

Ok now, your head is full of information and the only thing you want is to create your own world! Good you can start with that if you want.
But I just want to give you some tips:
If you got a random map, start with the ground elevate:
Max the radius and everything else and choose level: 10.
Now flatten the whole world with this
Then you go to ground texture paint and make it all in one kind(like grass,path,village and that), so you can distinguish everything easily and map 1 area by 1. This is the way I map.

Don't simply start making anything that already exists. First take some minutes to think about what you want. Here's some helping questions:

What kind of map you want? // Event map/ playable map with many factions / small fun map //
Is there enough space on the map for this? // you can make your map bigger like you can read in other Tutorials, but if the maximum isn't enough, you may think about how to shorten it //
Can I realize it with the given scene props?
What theme I want? // Map based on any book/film, fantasy, big castle, ... //
Will the players play it? is it something special? // If everyone creates maps with 7 factions, 6 castles, 1 maintown, a river and a mountain.... it will be boring. //

If you don't have enough ideas, ask other players in the forum or on a server what they want. Always the best choice. If you map for a server, you also can ask the server owner.

5. How do I test my map?

You can't simply test it in edit mode... ok you can, but not everything. You can test the environment, if stairs work and so on, but not the PW engines. winches won't work in test mode and only rotatable doors work in Edit mode. This also means that you can't buy armor or change classes.

There are 2 possibilities to do this:
1. If you work for a server, you can ask the Server Owner if he has a test server and if he does and agrees, you can send him your scene and he will upload it, then you can test the scene with other players.

2. Start a dedicated Server. A description how to do this you can find in other Tutorials. I don't want to explain it myself because it's kinda complicated.
Just 1 thing you need to know, if you started the dedicated server, you have to search for it in 'Local Area Network', not in 'Onine', otherwise you wont find it (unless you host it for other people).

6. Things you should know

I have just listed some additional things you should know:
- To save your changes, just leave the edit mode, then the game asks you whether to save or not.
- Your map doesn't get saved in the downloaded map folder. It's saved in MountandBlade/Modules/PW_4_VERSION/SceneObj
- The scene code you find there contains the ground elevation. You need to copy it in MountandBlade/Modules/PW_4_VERSION/scenes.txt
- If you are in Edit objects or something, and you switch to another button like Ground texture paint, and this program does not react, don't quit the game. You will loose your changes if you do so. Just wait, it may take up to 5 minutes but after that it works, best would be if you save your changes after this.
- Don't select objects in the placed object list. It may occure errors and crashes. Just select placed objects by right clicking on them, even if its more annoying sometimes.
- Interiors are fine, but they rarely fit in the building they're made for. So I would suggest you to place them under the earth (or in mountains) so that no one can see them.
- Forests can be beautiful, but too much pw_trees will make your map laggy. Just place some cutable pw_trees and replace the other ones with fake trees.
- You often get to the situation that there isn't the prop you want to have. Just use other objects and create your own! For example use some walls and water_river to make a nice well. Improvise!
- Always save frequently. Your game may crash or you could make a huge mistake.
- Never select multiple objects in the object list. The game will crash most of the times.
- High mountains don't stop players from going on their tops. Place barriers to prevent this.
- Always set weapons, armor and horses a starting stockpile. People get a bonus for crafting if some of the stockpile is missing.
- If you delete an object and want to add another object on the same place, it might get buggy because the program itself sometimes thinks the object is still there. Just restart the map and it'll work fine.
- If you decrease the height of a landscape there will be senseless shadows. You can get rid of them by restarting the map.
- Sometimes if you switch for example from textures to objects it can take a while. Dont give up and close the game, your progress will be lost. It sometimes takes 1 or 2 minutes but then it works again. You better save after this.

Search engine:
Tired of browsing through hundreds of props?
Click one of the props and start typing the name or some letter of the prop you want. The engine automatically selects the prop. E.g when you type 'p' it selects the first item starting with a 'p', and if you write 'pw_buy_lance' it selects the lance.

Making realistic landscapes:
I often see people taking turf for grass, gray stone for mountains and sand for desert. But it looks bad if its just one texture.
Mix it up!
Mountains:
- Start with making them out of full gray stone
- Make your brush smaller and the hardness and weight to 10% and add some brown stone on it so that it looks more realistic
- Add small areas of steppe with a smaller brush and same opacity at the sides of the mountain and more on the top
- Add some earth on the top

Desert:
- Foundation is the desert texture
- Mix it up with slight elements of steppe, earth and path

forest:
- Foundation can be turf
- Mixed up with steppe, earth, path

Basically a mix up always looks good. if an area changes from desert to steppe, hardly mix it at the border and slighter some meters away from it.

7. The Persistent Engine

After many requests, I will explain you the mapper part of the Persistent things:

1. The scene props of PW:

PW_buy_NAME:
These things are the things you can buy ingame. Place them so they have enough space, otherwise you will get problems buying them.
To change the price:
The first number shows the multiplier (10/20/30) and the second the faction (01/02/ for commoner/outlaw, 03-09 for factions)
Multiplier:
10 = 20%;
20 = 40%;
30 = 60%;
40 = 80%;
50 = 120%;
60 = 140%;
70 = 160%;
80 = 180%;
90 = 200%;
100 = 350%;
110 = 500%;
120 = 1000%
To change the dependence to a money chest:
Type the number of the moneychest (choose 2-9 for factions) in the first Value. Then half the money of the buying price will go into the chest.
To change the Stockpile:
Type the Amount of the Stockpile in Value 2.

PW_change_CLASS
With this you can add training points for the different classes.
To change faction to train for, put the number in value 1:
0 for Commoner
1 for Outlaw
2-9 for Factions

PW_cart
The carts for PW. Just place them that it looks good. You don't have to do more.

PW_castle_NAME
To create factions and add the money chest.
Capture point:
Add the capturing place for the castle. Tip: The y-axis shows the direction of the banner.
Value 1: change the faction the banner is for.

sign:
Value 1: Change the faction
Value 2: Change the name. the names are saved in the folder and it's bit difficult to change. (1 is for a name, 2 for another...)
If you want to have the name of a castle changed, ask the mod developers to add this name in the next patch.

Money chest
Value 1: Sets the faction of money chest and what weapons are for it ( e.g: weapons with 3 as faction will increase money in moneychest with 3)
Value 2: Sets initial money

PW_door_anything:
Adds doors to the map. There are different kinds:
_rotate:
Adds a rotating door.
Value 1: Sets the faction of this door. Just the faction specified can open it with keys.
Value 2:
1: door starts opened
2: door is bolted
4: door is not pickable.
This value is a "bit field" so you can add the different numbers together for multiple settings, like 7 for start open, bolted on one side, and not pickable.
Pro tip: The dungeon_cell gates are not destroyable like the others.

Teleport doors:
This doors teleport you to another position. It doesn't rotate.
About the doors:
You can't teleport with an invisible door to an arch door.
Invisible doors lead ONLY to other invisible doors, arch to arch, big arch to big arch.....
Value 2: set the number of teleport. 32 leads to 32, 1 to 1, ....

Ships:
Ships are not hard to modify, you just have to place them on water and at big ships, you need to change the first Value for the position of the ramp:
0 - left
1 - middle
2 - right

Mines:
Just place them in the world. But you will see they are empty very early. So you have to change the second value:
Value 1: Set the hitpoints. ( a good mine has about 80 )
Applies for Iron mine, small iron mine, gold mine, silver mine and salt mine.

Drawbridges:
Nearly same as rotating doors, just that you have to bind them on a winch:
Value 1: 0/1 start closed/open
Value 2: the number of the winch they belong to.

Winches:
Place them anywhere you want and change Value 2 to the correct number of the drawbridge.

Export/Stockpile:
Places to sell/buy materials like iron, wood, branches, poles...
Export:
This just exports materials. You can't buy them there. Things like poles or sticks are just exportable.
Value 1: Modifier+Faction
Value 2: Sets tax percentage of money going to the chest.
Stockpile:
You can sell AND buy things here.
Value 1: Modifier+Faction
Value 2: Start amount of stockpile

Animals:
Animals are imported with for example pw_import_boar.
After buying they spawn in front of the object, so don't place it with the wrong side facing a wall.

2. The Environmental things

Change the Daytime:
Add the PW_scene_daytime
Change the value 1 to the time it should be: 0-23.
There are only 3 different kinds of time: Night, dawn and sun. It depends on the value you put in.

Change the fog:
Add the PW_scene_cloudhaze
Value1: set number of clouds. You can change it if you want to have a clear sky or a cloudy one.
Change value 2 to the number of fog:
There are only 4 kinds of fog: No fog, low fog, hard fog and very hard fog. Depends on the number (91: low fog 93: hard fog 96: very hard fog 0: no fog)

Change the ambient sound:
Add the PW_scene_ambientsound
open "PW_4_VERSION/sounds.txt", scroll to the end, then count how many lines from snd_fire_loop to the sound you want to play.

Ok this was my Guide, If you still got questions with mapping, post them here and I will answer them if it's possible to the best of my ability.

Your
Eskalior

Also check my other outdated knowledge- database!
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,194580.0.html

Most excellent Eskalior! I find myself often consulting with your previous tutorial and so shall it be with this one as well. It's a real pain to remember all of the things you have to. Tutorials are excellent ways to store information like this.

Allready know all this shizzle' but thanks for the info to encourage others to get into editing with a nice guide too :smile:

Welcome back and thanks for the guide.
PM Vornne to add link to the "Scene creating and hosting guides", so we won't have any problems with finding it in the future.

Very good tutorial.  Still haven't figured out how to make doors properly.  lol

So you put the inside of the building under ground and set the variables to match lets says door x goes to door x?

xD  Trying to make a pirate themed map. :smile:

Make the var2 values the same, for the same door prop. No mixing pw_door_teleport_invisible with pw_door_teleport_inset_a, nor any other door but the same.

Also, the green side is where the player comes out. Don't put them backwards like someone did on their first map (*cough* Azrayel *cough*).

Hey, don't mean to necro, but could anyone explain how to set both the price modifier AND faction on a buy station/stockpile?

Back
Top Bottom