Emotions In Motion v.IV

Users who are viewing this thread

Teofish said:
Well of course you'd know all of this much better than someone who's ten years older than you and spent eight of those on that insane merry-go-round. :roll:
No, but I think my psychologist does.
Teofish said:
A psychologist can just as easily decide you need medication. And when they do that they just send you to a psychiatrist with a ****ing note. (Thankfully I refused all of those since the stupid ****ers wanted to give me antipsychotics.)
I am aware of that, but generally pychologists take a therapy approach not a medical approach since they have nothing to gain by putting patients on medication unless they absolutely need it.
Teofish said:
And I do believe I said they can shove a diagnosis on you at that age in some extreme cases. But most of them still believe they shouldn't. Since at your age your brain is still not fully developed, and the diagnostic spectrum could change significantly from year to year, or even month to month. I'm not saying it'll magically "cure" you at some point. But it still changes enough to make whatever diagnosis you had wrong. For example, a paranoid psychosis could easily slide into a paranoid personality disorder. And having to change diagnoses all the time creates a ****ton of paperwork. Not to mention it tends to label people as young as you in their own minds, effectively exacerbating the symptoms since you start subconsciously conforming to it.
You've still ignored my main point completely.
Odyseuss said:
Again, people aren't depressed for years with no significant break and no explicable cause (ex. traumatic event) if there isn't something wrong. I also excede the minimum amount of symptoms required to make a diagnoses by 3x.

Odyseuss said:
Teofish said:
Well of course you'd know all of this much better than someone who's ten years older than you and spent eight of those on that insane merry-go-round. :roll:
I'd let the roll-emoticon make an encore, but it seems fruitless.

Odyseuss said:
Teofish said:
A psychologist can just as easily decide you need medication. And when they do that they just send you to a psychiatrist with a ****ing note. (Thankfully I refused all of those since the stupid ****ers wanted to give me antipsychotics.)
I am aware of that, but generally pychologists take a therapy approach not a medical approach since they have nothing to gain by putting patients on medication unless they absolutely need it.
Hahahahaaaah. So young, so naive. In theory that might be correct. But lots of them would still rather just shove pills down your throat because they're lazy ****s and it gets quick results, or because they simply find it a better solution than actually talking to patients.

Odyseuss said:
Teofish said:
And I do believe I said they can shove a diagnosis on you at that age in some extreme cases. But most of them still believe they shouldn't. Since at your age your brain is still not fully developed, and the diagnostic spectrum could change significantly from year to year, or even month to month. I'm not saying it'll magically "cure" you at some point. But it still changes enough to make whatever diagnosis you had wrong. For example, a paranoid psychosis could easily slide into a paranoid personality disorder. And having to change diagnoses all the time creates a ****ton of paperwork. Not to mention it tends to label people as young as you in their own minds, effectively exacerbating the symptoms since you start subconsciously conforming to it.
You've still ignored my main point completely.
Odyseuss said:
Again, people aren't depressed for years with no significant break and no explicable cause (ex. traumatic event) if there isn't something wrong. I also excede the minimum amount of symptoms required to make a diagnoses by 3x.
No I haven't. But you seem too thick to see it, and I can't be bothered spoonfeeding it to you.

Teofish said:
Odyseuss said:
Teofish said:
I'd let the roll-emoticon make an encore, but it seems fruitless.
Again, doctor with PhD > random guy on the internet.
Teofish said:
Hahahahaaaah. So young, so naive. In theory that might be correct. But lots of them would still rather just shove pills down your throat because they're lazy ****s and it gets quick results, or because they simply find it a better solution than actually talking to patients.
It makes a lot of sense, right, for a psychologist to send my to a pyschiatrist so that I'm not going to her anymore so she's not getting any more money from me, right? She just wants to give off paying customers to psychiatrists? She also specifically said that medication is not the route to go.

Teofish said:
No I haven't. But you seem too thick to see it, and I can't be bothered spoonfeeding it to you.
That sounds a lot like "I don't have an answer".

I'd say in several cases a random dude on the internet who isn't in a position from which they see you as a paying customer would be the better person to listen to. Not saying this is one of those cases, as I don't know anything about your doctor or what's wrong with you. Just saying that a degree doesn't mean a person can do no wrong.

One thing Teo said that stuck out to me was that being misdiagnosed can lead to symptoms of the false diagnosis. When I was told I was schzio I kind of rolled with it and I began to feel like the only reason I was hearing things was because I was supposed to be hearing things according to my doctor. I mean, I certainly had and have some symptoms apart from that, and the medicine they gave me seems to help, but just knowing that I was officially labeled as such kind of made me feel like I had to act as such. Just because someone tells you that you have X disease doesn't mean you should start acting like it if you don't. I didn't mean any of this to sound confrontational, and sorry if it did.

You didn't sound confrontational Fish, it's fine.

It's just that in my case The description fit me perfectly. Like, absolutely perfectly. Every symtom applies to me completey and has since even before I hit puberty. So it's not just a teenage phase.

If there's anything that gets my blood boiling nowadays, it's the overdiagnosis of attention deficit disorders and, especially, learning disorders with teens. Parents can't longer handle the fact they've raised a child that is slightly less bright than the pack or lacking in proper manners. Instead of accepting that, they consult a series of psychologists and psychiatrists until they get the bloody diagnosis they want. Things have gotten rather out of hand these past twenty years. When I was six and I joined the scouts, I remember there was one kid with autism and, granted, he could really get his knickers up in a twist. But by the time I left, when I was twenty-one, HALF of those kids had ADD, dyslexia, asperger's, autism, NLD, ADHD, or a combination of these. ****ing hell, parents. Suck it up and accept your kid isn't perfect. Your beloved son is slow reader? Must be dyslexia. He keeps twisting the neigbours' arm? Sorry, must be his ADHD.

Of course I won't deny that some people have been rightfully diagnosed with these disorders, but please forgive if me if I hold my reservations whenever the umpteenth person comes claiming they have ADHD or dyslexia.

That. Hell, if anything it makes things worse for people who actually do have actual issues. Kind of like how an absurd amount of people on the internet claim to have some sort of mental disorder.

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
The majority of people are not psychologically normal.
In all seriousness, though, I recall something about healthy people having traits of several different things. That's why if you get a DSM and go reading diagnostic criteria you'll end up thinking you have everything.
Or something.

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
To be fair, I think almost everyone in the world has something, at least something small.
Aye, we're all beautiful unique little snowflakes and not all of us end up becoming Albert bloody Einstein incarnate. But does that necessitate a diagnosis? I beg to differ. Of course we all have our quirks, but how people get diagnosed over even the slightest hint of a symptom is an insult plain and simple to those who truly suffer from these ailments.

Ambalon said:
Kind of like how an absurd amount of people on the internet claim to have some sort of mental disorder.
Goodness gracious, YES. I can't even begin to count the times I've seen somebody defend his poorly worded post, even on this forum, by saying something along the lines of: "fck you i have dyslexia k? very tough to pick on someboyd with dyslexia"

Odyseuss said:
You didn't sound confrontational Fish, it's fine.

It's just that in my case The description fit me perfectly. Like, absolutely perfectly. Every symtom applies to me completey and has since even before I hit puberty. So it's not just a teenage phase.
Mother of ****ing god. Are you trying to miss my point on purpose? Ugh, never mind, you're doing the exact thing I'm arguing against. And doing that in your case seems to make you unable to grasp what I'm saying so I'm giving up on this. Going "Nuh-uh, this is how I see myself right now so this is what I will always be and have to conform to" instead of doing something to improve or change that seems to be your built-in go-to reaponse. So just stick your head back in your fairytale princess movie obsession hole like a good little ostrich.

Happens to me about every time I try to write about how I'm feeling. Since I just repress and never talk to anyone about my emotions, I can't talk about them in a fulfilling manner. I actually do write, but never feel like the words actually illustrate how I'm doing so, in frustration, I again do not talk about it.

Record a video of yourself expressing yourself. Just make sure not to do it naked and having the camera focus on only your crotch while you try to ventriloquist your penis into a sentient being.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
Record a video of yourself expressing yourself. Just make sure not to do it naked and having the camera focus on only your crotch while you try to ventriloquist your penis into a sentient being.

But that was the whole idea!

Ambalon said:
Happens to me about every time I try to write about how I'm feeling. Since I just repress and never talk to anyone about my emotions, I can't talk about them in a fulfilling manner. I actually do write, but never feel like the words actually illustrate how I'm doing so, in frustration, I again do not talk about it.
Yeah, basically this.

I never am. One of the reasons I want to start seeing a shrink somewhen in the foreseeable future. Maybe next semester or the one after it. I feel like it could help me elaborate my feelings some.

Back
Top Bottom