Poll

For those interested, which day would you prefer?

Monday's
12 (36.4%)
Thursday's
4 (12.1%)
Both Monday's and Thursday's
17 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: August 30, 2012, 03:21:44 AM

Author Topic: North American Monday Linebattle Event - Hosted by Reddit Brigade  (Read 3947 times)

Hader

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Inquisitor
    • View Profile
    • Total War Center
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: _1stRddt_Inquisitor_Hader
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
North American Line Battle (Hosted by Reddit Brigade)

We've been looking to try hosting a line battle for a while now, seeing as we have a server in which to host it. So we're finally getting around to giving it a shot here. The goal is to make a fairly casual and fun linebattle event on Monday's to help you all relax after your undeniably shitty Monday back in the cubicles.

So onto the Monday or Thursday part; Reddit Brigade leaders seemed to agree Monday would be a better day to host it. I have noticed though that people may not really be around on Monday's as often as they might be on Thursday's. But I have also noticed other LBs on Thursday so Monday seems to be the more open day. If I get enough feedback for Thursday instead of Monday, we will change the day, or maybe do both, but for now it stands as a Monday event.

Monday's at 8:00pm EST

TeamSpeak: 74.91.122.90
Reddit Brigade Linebattle Administration channel

Admins: Hader, Ginjar, and Disgrntld

This line battle will be held weekly and will be invite only. Regiment leaders will receive the server name and password via TeamSpeak in the NW Reddit Brigade Line Battle Administration channel. We will likely cycle specialty unit openings every week; i.e., skirmishers and arty only one week, arty and cav only the next, skirmishers and cav only the next, etc. Any regiment may apply for any position for each battle, though I will not allow the same regiment to take the same role twice in a row unless no one else volunteers for the position. Example: Reddit applies for cav one week, they are not allowed to have cav the next week unless no other regiment takes cav. This is all subject to change though and really just one of Hader's delusions.

We will play best of 3 rounds on 2 maps, followed by a Sudden Death single round tiebreaker on Strangefields if needed. A traditional fun round will conclude the night if time allows. There will be a 20 minute time limit on each round. If the round winds down into an arty of fort camping match of any sort that I deem is an unnecessary delay to an end in combat, I will set the time limit immediately to 1 minute. And to discourage the team that may be winning at that point from sitting back and waiting for the timer, I have the rule that if the winning team is ahead in numbers by a ratio of at least 2:1 and does not kill the other team in that time, they will be considered the losers.

Why you ask? I would like to encourage less fort building and arty camping and a little more initiative from commanders to try and win battles in ways that don't involve camping and annoying the rest of the dead players who are tired of delay. Overall I think it will make everyone play slightly more aggressively for once, and hopefully focus on having more fun in the heat of battle rather than shying away from it just to get the round win. If these rules truly don't help that in the long run, they will be scrapped.

If your regiment is on the Guest List and you would like to apply for a special position (artillery, cavalry, skirmishers, or engineers),make a post in the following format:
(click to show/hide)

Remember we cycle special roles each week to mix things up a bit.

Please familiarize yourself with the event rules. Violators will be slain with no warning.
Rules are modeled after 5arge's Tuesday/Friday linebattle rules, with only a few tweaks.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:04:15 AM by Hader »

Hader

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Inquisitor
    • View Profile
    • Total War Center
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
-Reserved-

Sir Prince

• Formerly Reformed Spammer
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • I was a cat before it was cool.
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/vhB0a.png
  • MP nick: Sir_Prince
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
Re: North American Monday Linebattle Event - Hosted by Reddit Brigade
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:17:15 AM »
What exactly are the differences between the rules here and for the Tue/Fri battle?
"Thank you for flying Delta Business Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."
"Gaze upon our well-oiled nipples, Persian dogs, and despair, for they are the last ones you will ever see!" - Darian
"Witcher, is that the game where you run around sleeping with women for their pokemon cards?"  ChurchOfFonz

Hader

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Inquisitor
    • View Profile
    • Total War Center
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:20:38 AM »
What exactly are the differences between the rules here and for the Tue/Fri battle?
Aren't you cute. I saw what you posted before that conveniently timed edit too.

But to clarify for everyone, the rules are barely changed at all from the Friday/Tuesday ones. All in all, I like those rules and will stick with them, I am just going to try some things that I think will help kill off that "anything to win" attitude so we see more action overall, and have reasonably timed rounds.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:24:41 AM by Hader »

Menelaos16

• Master Knight
    • Steam - Menelaos16
    • View Profile
  • NW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:26:31 AM »
So is the reddit going to leave 5arge's battle or is this separate?
Good luck with this Hader!

Hader

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Inquisitor
    • View Profile
    • Total War Center
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:28:05 AM »
So is the reddit going to leave 5arge's battle or is this separate?
Good luck with this Hader!
It's not on Tuesday or Friday so it doesn't interfere at all with 5arge's.

Zonoko

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:50 AM »
I say we host it at 4:00 AM GMT... with a requirement that everyone be drunk.

Or Monday. Monday works.

lordbale66

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
I'm gone just a few days and you guys decide to host a linebattle huh?  :)
I figured out that I'll be getting up at 9 am to play NW while studying away but its a price I'm willing to play. Not sure how my ping will be though.

Savolainen5

• Recruit
  • NW Official Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: _1stRddt_H42_Savs
  • WBNW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »
I'm gone just a few days and you guys decide to host a linebattle huh?  :)

Something like that. :)

Now we'll just have to make sure we don't have so many in the battle so as to overwhelm the server.
Confused as to what a wug is? Read here!

5arge

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
Yeah... that's the problem. Why not host your battles on Tuesdays and Fridays? I certainly would appreciate it.  :twisted:

Thundersnow

• Knight
  • Emperor of the 00th Regiment, Time and Space.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: 00th_Overlord_Thundersnow
  • NW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Yeah... that's the problem. Why not host your battles on Tuesdays and Fridays? I certainly would appreciate it.  :twisted:

Indeed!  The more the merrier! 

hotcobbler

• Regular
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Cobbler / Featherbottom
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »
More coverage of the weekly calendar is good. I also propose we host a Gladius linebattle on Fridays or after this on Mondays. I'm willing to help w this.

SeanBeansShako

• Sergeant Knight
  • SAdraGoons European Liaison
    • View Profile
    • Something Awful Official CAD Edit Tumblr
  • Faction: Bandit
  • MP nick: Nurdbot/Nurdbotette
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
We just got a 200 slot BlueFang server in Dallas and are willing to throw it into the cause for Monday and Thursday, especially since the event is using the standard line battle rule set we like the most.

lordbale66

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
We just got a 200 slot BlueFang server in Dallas and are willing to throw it into the cause for Monday and Thursday, especially since the event is using the standard line battle rule set we like the most.
I think we were planning on using ours but having a backup is always good. Who knows maybe your server runs better than ours? How has it been so far?

Hader

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Inquisitor
    • View Profile
    • Total War Center
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 02:05:17 AM »
I'll get around to sending out a few more invites soon here. Though likely soon is after Gladius tomorrow for me... :P