NW Completed North American Monday Linebattle Event - Hosted by Reddit Brigade

For those interested, which day would you prefer?

• Monday's

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Thursday's

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Both Monday's and Thursday's

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Hader

Sergeant at Arms
North American Line Battle (Hosted by Reddit Brigade)​

We've been looking to try hosting a line battle for a while now, seeing as we have a server in which to host it. So we're finally getting around to giving it a shot here. The goal is to make a fairly casual and fun linebattle event on Monday's to help you all relax after your undeniably ****ty Monday back in the cubicles.

So onto the Monday or Thursday part; Reddit Brigade leaders seemed to agree Monday would be a better day to host it. I have noticed though that people may not really be around on Monday's as often as they might be on Thursday's. But I have also noticed other LBs on Thursday so Monday seems to be the more open day. If I get enough feedback for Thursday instead of Monday, we will change the day, or maybe do both, but for now it stands as a Monday event.

Monday's at 8:00pm EST

TeamSpeak: 74.91.122.90
Reddit Brigade Linebattle Administration channel

Admins: Hader, Ginjar, and Disgrntld

This line battle will be held weekly and will be invite only. Regiment leaders will receive the server name and password via TeamSpeak in the NW Reddit Brigade Line Battle Administration channel. We will likely cycle specialty unit openings every week; i.e., skirmishers and arty only one week, arty and cav only the next, skirmishers and cav only the next, etc. Any regiment may apply for any position for each battle, though I will not allow the same regiment to take the same role twice in a row unless no one else volunteers for the position. Example: Reddit applies for cav one week, they are not allowed to have cav the next week unless no other regiment takes cav. This is all subject to change though and really just one of Hader's delusions.

We will play best of 3 rounds on 2 maps, followed by a Sudden Death single round tiebreaker on Strangefields if needed. A traditional fun round will conclude the night if time allows. There will be a 20 minute time limit on each round. If the round winds down into an arty of fort camping match of any sort that I deem is an unnecessary delay to an end in combat, I will set the time limit immediately to 1 minute. And to discourage the team that may be winning at that point from sitting back and waiting for the timer, I have the rule that if the winning team is ahead in numbers by a ratio of at least 2:1 and does not kill the other team in that time, they will be considered the losers.

Why you ask? I would like to encourage less fort building and arty camping and a little more initiative from commanders to try and win battles in ways that don't involve camping and annoying the rest of the dead players who are tired of delay. Overall I think it will make everyone play slightly more aggressively for once, and hopefully focus on having more fun in the heat of battle rather than shying away from it just to get the round win. If these rules truly don't help that in the long run, they will be scrapped.

If your regiment is on the Guest List and you would like to apply for a special position (artillery, cavalry, skirmishers, or engineers),make a post in the following format:
In the subject, place "[Role] Application for [Date]" ( For example, Cavalry Application for 4/20/12 )

Regiment:
Role Desired:
Number of members:
Previous Experiences:

Remember we cycle special roles each week to mix things up a bit.

Please familiarize yourself with the event rules. Violators will be slain with no warning.
Rules are modeled after 5arge's Tuesday/Friday linebattle rules, with only a few tweaks.
General Expectations:

-Officers and NCOs are responsible for enforcing the event rules within their ranks. Failure to do so will result in the entire regiment being punished.

-All regiments must agree that they understand and intend to follow the event rules before they are allowed to attend.

-Violation of any written event rule will result in an automatic slay. This is your warning.

-If either side has 3 soldiers or less alive, the rules governing combat may be ignored in order to expedite an end to the round.

-Postponing defeat will result in an automatic slay. In the event of small groups not yet under the 3 man no rule threshold, the time limit may be reduced to force a round conclusion.

Guidelines for Infantry and Skirmishers:

-Lines of more than 10 musket armed soldiers must fight in two ranks.

-Skirmisher units may never exceed 12 armed soldiers (one officer and musician do not count toward this total unless they pickup a rifle/musket).

-Soldiers should only fire their muskets while in a properly spaced line formation (skirmishers must use a skirmish line).
              -"One space" is the width of your avatar on screen
              -Infantry should have less than 1 space between them
              -Light Infantry (skirmisher w/ bayonet) may have 3 spaces between them
              -Riflemen may have up to 5 spaces between them

-Skirmishers (riflemen or light infantry) may crouch at any time, but Infantry may only crouch if they are out of combat, or in the front of a two rank line (even behind cover, earthworks, sandbags, etc.)

-If only 2 men remain in a line, they must immediately join a friendly line OR charge directly toward their enemy into melee

-No troops, skirmisher or infantry or anyone, may fire out of or into a building, formation or not. The reason for this rule here is due to the fact that we play random maps and only Strangefields (perhaps it won't always be Strangefields, but for now it is) and buildings will thus rarely be around. So I've decided a blanket rule of no firing was more appropriate than one for everyone being allowed to fire.

-If an Infantry regiment splits into two separate lines during battle, both lines must fight in two ranks regardless of numbers.

Guidelines for Cavalry:

-Cavalry units may never exceed 12 soldiers (one officer and one musician do not count toward this total).

-Cavalry may fire muskets from horseback, but must be in a line as with Infantry.

-Unhorsed/dismounted Cavalry are considered Light Infantry.

-Cavalry must stay together and fight as a cohesive group. Lone cavalry who are fighting far from the rest of their unit may be slain for ramboing.

Guidelines for Engineers:

-Engineer units may never exceed 4 soldiers.

-Infantry and Skirmisher regiments may have 1 Engineer in their unit.

-Musket armed Engineers are considered Light Infantry.

-Engineers must stay within a reasonable distance from the group they are attached to at all times. Straying more than 40 paces from their group will be considered ramboing.

Guidelines for Artillery:

-Each faction is allowed 2 guns (cannon, howitzer, or mortar). 2 rockets count as 1 gun. In battles without cavalry, artillery may be limited to 1 gun.

-Each gun can have a crew of 3 Artillerymen and 2 Bodyguards.

-Artillery Bodyguards may choose Infantry or Engineer classes.

-Artillery Bodyguards may kneel and fire as long as they are within 5 paces of an active cannon. Active cannons are cannons with artillery crew manning them in some way. If there is now crew, it is not active.

Guidelines for Officers:

- Pistols are horribly inaccurate weapons and as such are to be considered on par with melee weapons. They may be fired freely by anyone from anywhere, on horseback or on foot.

-Any player in command of 40 or more other players via TeamSpeak, may play as the General class.

-The General may not fight from horseback, the horse is for avoiding combat. The general is allowed to fall in with their allied cavalry regiment and fight with them for as long as he is near them. Otherwise the general may only fight to defend himself if absolutely necessary (this should really only be when a faster cavalry unit is able to catch up to the general's slower horse).

-If dismounted, the General may pickup a firearm and is treated as Light Infantry.

The following regiments have been formally invited and have agreed to enforce the event rules within their ranks. These regiments will receive the password each Monday:

Regiment name (reserved slots)

1stRddt (80)
SADragoons (25)
112th_VirginiaRegiment (10) (temp banned from event for 1 month)
18e (10)
94th Highland (10)
1erVL (15)
1stFKI (25)
IIIe (25) (dropped out of LB)

Sir Prince said:
What exactly are the differences between the rules here and for the Tue/Fri battle?
Aren't you cute. I saw what you posted before that conveniently timed edit too.

But to clarify for everyone, the rules are barely changed at all from the Friday/Tuesday ones. All in all, I like those rules and will stick with them, I am just going to try some things that I think will help kill off that "anything to win" attitude so we see more action overall, and have reasonably timed rounds.

Menelaos16 said:
So is the reddit going to leave 5arge's battle or is this separate?
Good luck with this Hader!
It's not on Tuesday or Friday so it doesn't interfere at all with 5arge's.

I say we host it at 4:00 AM GMT... with a requirement that everyone be drunk.

Or Monday. Monday works.

I'm gone just a few days and you guys decide to host a linebattle huh?  :smile:
I figured out that I'll be getting up at 9 am to play NW while studying away but its a price I'm willing to play. Not sure how my ping will be though.

More coverage of the weekly calendar is good. I also propose we host a Gladius linebattle on Fridays or after this on Mondays. I'm willing to help w this.

We just got a 200 slot BlueFang server in Dallas and are willing to throw it into the cause for Monday and Thursday, especially since the event is using the standard line battle rule set we like the most.

SeanBeansShako said:
We just got a 200 slot BlueFang server in Dallas and are willing to throw it into the cause for Monday and Thursday, especially since the event is using the standard line battle rule set we like the most.
I think we were planning on using ours but having a backup is always good. Who knows maybe your server runs better than ours? How has it been so far?

I'll get around to sending out a few more invites soon here. Though likely soon is after Gladius tomorrow for me... :razz:

lordbale66 said:
SeanBeansShako said:
I think we were planning on using ours but having a backup is always good. Who knows maybe your server runs better than ours? How has it been so far?

In ran smooth with the line battle we hosted for IIIe with sixty on each side.

Everyone who wishes to attend be in our TS at 9 EST for the password please:  74.91.122.90

Administration channel is right at the top.

Since I am a bit late with some invitations, and I anticipate only around ~160 players and should have plenty of room,  I will make this event first come first serve. Invite only next time around.

Back
Top Bottom