Planetary Annihilation

Users who are viewing this thread

Age of Empires ¶ Densetsu

Age of Empires II
Marquis
One or two mentions here, but I figured this deserves a topic.

Basically some guys who worked on Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander have decided to create a true spiritual successor to the former. They want to capture what made TA such a great game and make it even bigger; using asteroids as weapons and having the ability to destroy planets.

I'm really interested to see where they take this idea. Games like TA are hard to come by, hopefully this is a keeper.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

http://planetaryannihilation.com/

If you’re having these sorts of thoughts, it helps if you’re Jon Mavor, co-founder and CTO of Uber Entertainment and a veteran developer who worked with Chris Taylor on both Total Annihilation and its spiritual successor, Supreme Commander. Today, Mavor launched a Kickstarter for Planetary Annihilation, a real-time strategy game that takes classic TA/SupCom gameplay and expands the battle across solar systems full of worlds, moons, and asteroids
Mavor got the idea from playing Risk 2210, which is Risk with a wrinkle: you can deploy to the moon on a separate gameboard. “They basically have this concept of multiple linked playfields in Risk 2210,” Mavor explains. “When I started thinking about the direction that we could take a TA-style game, I thought the idea of being able to literally slam a planet into another planet—go to the asteroids, mine them, bring them in, use them as weapons, use them as resource bases—was a really cool idea. I didn’t see any reason why we couldn’t do that with the game.”
Jon Mavor loved the Big Bertha cannon in Total Annihilation, so much so that its replacement in Supreme Commander is named… the Mavor. So when he thinks about units that have to be in Planetary Annihilation, some kind of super-heavy artillery piece is near the top of the list.
And of course, there will be a Commander, “the king and queen of chess all in one,” Mavor calls it. “I like that idea, that you have to protect your commander. …It’s a little bit oddball: ‘I have this really powerful unit, I want to use it.’ And you can, but you’re risking your game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/planetary-annihilation-preview-when-strategy-worlds-collide-with-moons/

God damn it kickstarter, stop stealing my monies !

With devs from Morrowind and Supreme Commander (I assume not SupCom2 at least), better be amazing.

In for $15 :

You are now an official backer of Planetary Annihilation - A Next Generation RTS. Time to tell the world about it!

I flew straight here to see if we had a thread so I could make one. TA brings back so many happy memories and sadly SupCom just didn't treat me the same way. So it is with great honour I slap down some money and hope they reach that mark.

Beyond that, just got this email though :

You spoke, we listened; Linux support is confirmed. This is not a stretch goal. We are supporting it right out of the gate.

To bad I don't intend to use Linux anytime soon but good for anyone who does I guess.

Edit :

This is all they have for 'stretch' goals which is basically just money they get after the goal. Or at least that is how it has worked in previous games since I suppose they aren't allowed to just pocket all the extra money :p

f14520b0100519a712cacbc41a1c7a1f_large.png

Just under half way now. I wonder how much money kickstarter has made this year from taking a piece of so many projects :eek:

They updated their stretch goals (only 300k to main goal), not sure if they will actually make any of those though :
47fa2e3fae85e052958cc66eab8898a0_large.png

I've decided to be cautiously optimistic about this. Not really sure how they can possibly balance the interplanetary stuff. The background behind it in TA was that resources were just too scarce to go around blowing up planets.

Back
Top Bottom