Modifying the campaign map?

Users who are viewing this thread

How do I modify the campaign map? Warband MapManager/Thorgrim's MapEditor gives me some errors when I run it.

Could not find M&B Path, using local directory instead.

loadDDSTextureFile couldn't find, or failed to load "./Textures/quests_windows.dds"

loadDDSTextureFile couldn't find, or failed to load "./Textures/trees.dds"

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Mapeditor.exe has stopped working.

Tormidal said:
How do I modify the campaign map? Warband MapManager/Thorgrim's MapEditor gives me some errors when I run it.

loadDDSTextureFile couldn't find, or failed to load "./Textures/quests_windows.dds"

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Thorgrim's needs Mount&Blade, not Warband. So download the original M&B, install it, copy the map.txt and parties.txt from Warband folder to M&B folder and run Thorgrim's again. Also check where Throgrim saves... in my case it saved in C:\Users bla bla bla App instead of Program Files.

When done just copy both the map.txt and parties.txt back to Warband folder.
Also remember that because Warband has more map icons that M&B in Thorgrim's some icons will appear switched, wrong or will simply not appear at all.

I got this problem, but then fixed it:
Dawiduh said:
Commodore_Axephante said:
Hello thread wizards,

I've been editing texture .DDS files in GIMP and then trying to reimport them into OpenBRF, but with no luck. In OpenBRF I go to the Import tab, select New Texture and then browse for the .DDS (which is in the Mod's appropriate Texture folder) but the texture just comes up in Open BRF as the purple and white checkers, even though it opens fine in GIMP.

Any ideas? I bet the problem is right in front of my nose, but I've been at it for a while now, and I'd love a pro's input.

When selecting the object you want to apply the texture to, go to the materials tab on the top right corner and write down your texture name. Also remember to import it both asa a texture AND as a material. As a material you have your texture as ... err ... the texture but you can also add a normal map for bump mapping. The normal map should ideally also be imported as a texture for the editor to work with it. Also, after you do all this restart the editor in case the stuff isn't loaded automatically.

Lumos said:
I very, very, very doubt that Dawiduh has M&B installed in
Dawiduh said:
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Moun&Blade\Modules\Native
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I have no idea how that got tere  :neutral: Obviously I didn't install it there and it does not save the games there. Those go here: C:\Users\David\Documents\Mount&Blade Warband Savegames so in Documents not AppData. Weird as hell.

Dawiduh said:
Tormidal said:

Thorgrim's needs Mount&Blade, not Warband. So download the original M&B, install it, copy the map.txt and parties.txt from Warband folder to M&B folder and run Thorgrim's again. Also check where Throgrim saves... in my case it saved in C:\Users bla bla bla App instead of Program Files.

When done just copy both the map.txt and parties.txt back to Warband folder.
Also remember that because Warband has more map icons that M&B in Thorgrim's some icons will appear switched, wrong or will simply not appear at all.

I got this problem, but then fixed it:
Dawiduh said:
Commodore_Axephante said:
Hello thread wizards,

I've been editing texture .DDS files in GIMP and then trying to reimport them into OpenBRF, but with no luck. In OpenBRF I go to the Import tab, select New Texture and then browse for the .DDS (which is in the Mod's appropriate Texture folder) but the texture just comes up in Open BRF as the purple and white checkers, even though it opens fine in GIMP.

Any ideas? I bet the problem is right in front of my nose, but I've been at it for a while now, and I'd love a pro's input.

When selecting the object you want to apply the texture to, go to the materials tab on the top right corner and write down your texture name. Also remember to import it both asa a texture AND as a material. As a material you have your texture as ... err ... the texture but you can also add a normal map for bump mapping. The normal map should ideally also be imported as a texture for the editor to work with it. Also, after you do all this restart the editor in case the stuff isn't loaded automatically.

Lumos said:
I very, very, very doubt that Dawiduh has M&B installed in
Dawiduh said:
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Moun&Blade\Modules\Native
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I have no idea how that got tere  :neutral: Obviously I didn't install it there and it does not save the games there. Those go here: C:\Users\David\Documents\Mount&Blade Warband Savegames so in Documents not AppData. Weird as hell.

So. I copied over map and parties.txt to the M&B folder.....but I still got all the same errors.

Ok, check if Thorgrim's is pointing to this:
C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Moun&Blade\Modules\Native

In my case it switched from normal C:\Program Files (x86)\Mount&Blade\Modules\Native to the address above WHILE I was editing my map. It is not normal but it happened to me so try to check if your editor is pointing in the wrong direction.

Dawiduh said:
Ok, check if Thorgrim's is pointing to this:
C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Moun&Blade\Modules\Native

In my case it switched from normal C:\Program Files (x86)\Mount&Blade\Modules\Native to the address above WHILE I was editing my map. It is not normal but it happened to me so try to check if your editor is pointing in the wrong direction.

I think its kind of hard to check if the program doesn't even start without getting errors and crashing almost immediately. But I can get to \Program Files (x86)\ and then the M&B folder doesnt even exist.

So you mean there's no M&B folder in Program Files? If you installed it in another folder you should try to edit some setting.cfg (or something) in Thorgrim's to point to your folder. I can't help you in a more specific way because I'm at work now and I don't have the stuff installed here.

Dawiduh said:
So you mean there's no M&B folder in Program Files? If you installed it in another folder you should try to edit some setting.cfg (or something) in Thorgrim's to point to your folder. I can't help you in a more specific way because I'm at work now and I don't have the stuff installed here.

Im saying theres no MB folder under the Program Files for VirtualStore.

M&B is installed through steam, but when I try to eddit the settings.cfg to point there, it says access is denied, even though im logged in as administrator.

Then I can't help you more... Wait until some more experienced guys will answer.
Try to play around with the folder's properties: read-only for example.

Sorry I can't help you more and good luck!

Dawiduh said:
Then I can't help you more... Wait until some more experienced guys will answer.
Try to play around with the folder's properties: read-only for example.

Sorry I can't help you more and good luck!

Tried, thanks for helping, and thanks for the good luck.

If Mount and Blade is installed in steam it should be at C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\ and you should find the Mount and Blade folder there. If you have a 64-bit it will be in C:\Program Files (x86) at the end instead.

TacticalSquirrel said:
If Mount and Blade is installed in steam it should be at C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\ and you should find the Mount and Blade folder there. If you have a 64-bit it will be in C:\Program Files (x86) at the end instead.

Thank you, for not reading any of the thread.

Let's start from the beginning.
These errors are due because the Editor can not find your game folder. Go see HKLM/Software(/Wow6432Node)/Mount&Blade in your registry and then what you need is the (Default) key - it holds the path to the game. If it's not there (which means faulty installation of 1.011), then edit the Editor's settings.cfg file and change the
Code:
mbPath
line from
Code:
auto
to your game's folder. I have no idea whatsoever what Steam does to M&B's registry keys.
Unfortunately you say you tried that, but you do not have access.
Interesing: you say that access is denied when you try to edit the settings.cfg file, so you obviously don't have access to the MapEditor, not to the game's folder. Odd indeed. :smile: And you are an admin...
Where is it (the MapEditor's folder) placed?
I've heard people saying that disabling UAC helped them. About Steam and M&B: I'd advise (because I strongly dislike Steam) you to delete the game from Steam and install it with the installer from TaleWorlds. Your CD key will be valid, and in the case of 1.011, you could get your hands on the ninja update, which is an enhanced 1.011 removing some of its limitations. Plus, w/o Steam your folder will be in a much more convenient place: instead of "E/Programs/Steam/something/steamapps/common/crap/Dark India/M&B", you can have "E:/Games/M&B", which is much, much better.
(The above sentence is highly subjective. :mrgreen:)
You can also try to dump the MapEd on the Desktop/My Docs, cause you're bound to have permissions over anything that goes there. Or you could try using Unlocker, a freeware app that has helped me on many ocasions with no access and locked files.

These errors are due because the Editor can not find your game folder. Go see HKLM/Software(/Wow6432Node)/Mount&Blade in your registry and then what you need is the (Default) key - it holds the path to the game. If it's not there (which means faulty installation of 1.011), then edit the Editor's settings.cfg file and change the mbPath line from auto to your game's folder. I have no idea whatsoever what Steam does to M&B's registry keys.

There isnt a value set to the (Default) key, but there is a value set to the Install_Path key.

Interesing: you say that access is denied when you try to edit the settings.cfg file, so you obviously don't have access to the MapEditor, not to the game's folder. Odd indeed.  And you are an admin...
Where is it (the MapEditor's folder) placed?

Its in the default installation location, which is "C:\Program Files (x86)\M&B Editor\"

I've heard people saying that disabling UAC helped them. About Steam and M&B: I'd advise (because I strongly dislike Steam) you to delete the game from Steam and install it with the installer from TaleWorlds. Your CD key will be valid, and in the case of 1.011, you could get your hands on the ninja update, which is an enhanced 1.011 removing some of its limitations. Plus, w/o Steam your folder will be in a much more convenient place: instead of "E/Programs/Steam/something/steamapps/common/crap/Dark India/M&B", you can have "E:/Games/M&B", which is much, much better.
(The above sentence is highly subjective. )
You can also try to dump the MapEd on the Desktop/My Docs, cause you're bound to have permissions over anything that goes there. Or you could try using Unlocker, a freeware app that has helped me on many ocasions with no access and locked files.

Ill try moving the Editor to my documents, before uninstall M&B.

Thanks, Lumos.

Okay Lamos,

I....
1) Moved the Map Editor to my documents,
2) Was then able to edit the config, and had it point to steam.

3) Then I got the same set of errors

Download Mount and Blade.

Extract/install it in whatever folder.

Download Thorgrims Map Editor.

Extract/install it into the SAME folder as your Mount and Blade copy.

So that the folder called M&Bmapeditor, or whatever it's called, is inside your /common/Mount and Blade folder.

Cozur said:
Download Mount and Blade.

Extract/install it in whatever folder.

Download Thorgrims Map Editor.

Extract/install it into the SAME folder as your Mount and Blade copy.

So that the folder called M&Bmapeditor, or whatever it's called, is inside your /common/Mount and Blade folder.

Same set of errors.

So, I took everything inside the mapeditor folder and put it into my M&B installation, and instead of giving me errors, it just stopped responding and crashes. o_O

Back
Top Bottom