The House of Bane

Users who are viewing this thread

For the time being we are more of a gaming group, but I am hoping to focus down on one game just like we did before again.

Soooo...

War of the Roses
Grab a two handed weapon, but WAIT! Not ANY two handed weapon. Some of them suck, no ALL of them suck compared to the Two handed sword and the Executioners axe. So everyone grab either a two handed sword or an executioners axe, dawn the heaviest armor in the game (luckily theres really no noticeable disadvantage to wearing the heaviest armor in game compared to the lightest, so pile it up boys!) and then learn to fight correctly. There is an unspoken rule, so listen up. Swing your weapon over and over again to the right while circling around your enemy in a clockwise motion. Continue and hope that you are better luckier than your enemy. Don't block by god! Chances are your wasting time which would be better used circling and swinging anyways, better to play offensive. Yes as the adds said, "Skill is not an unlock" as a matter of fact theres no room for it in this game at all. Never thought I'd say it, but aside from the ranged combat system this game is a fail.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Right so, take away the cool ranged combat system from War of the Roses, duplicate the melee combat system (esentially get a two hander and circle clockwise around your enemy while swinging) and additionally take note that now attacks DO NOT get interrupted when a player is hit (this adds to the idea that swinging around mindlessly is a GOOD idea) and add a bit more blood and gore and whala! Chivalry Medieval Warfare. I'm forgetting some things here as I havn't played this game for several months, but essentially after having given it a really good shot and playing it hardcore for 2-3 weeks I discovered that skill will not get you very far in the moshpit, swing-don't-think combat of the game.

Mount&Blade Warband (Vanilla)
Combat is still a matter of grabbing a two hander and circling (CLOCKWISE!) around your enemy while swinging mindlessly. But theres this brilliant thing to it...blocking WORKS! Thats right you can block or make feint attacks or god forbid chamber your enemies to break their chain of mindless attacks and turn the game against them! Plus getting hit by an enemy weapon will interrupt your current attack! Wow! Skill will actually make you better at this game! Now theres still a couple of things that I have always found annoying about Mount&Blade combat, such as bows and arrows being much too powerful and accurate, crossbows being too fast to reload, the speed difference from two-handed and one-handed weapons not being large enough. But the point in the end is that its still a good multiplayer experience because skill COUNTS! Amazing idea. I can't wait for Bannerlord because everyone else obviously can't figure it out. :roll:

Well done! Now we can make a group and kill everyone WHILE being alive!  :razz:

Onto another topic, I agree with Vulkaan quite a lot with those reviews of those 3 games. I also agree with his last point of, I guess mount&blade is the only one who can get this sort of skill based combat implemented into the game.

I played Native again a couple days ago and remembered why I stopped playing it. Archers are way too good. I died 2 times in melee combat, ended with a score of 13-11. Getting shot that many times does not make for fun, challenging, skill based combat. :neutral:

I think archers need a more interesting and hard setup to make them more challenging to play and alot less deadly and annoying. This is afterall a game focusing on creating a medieval combat system, and easy, accurate and effective ranged weaponry in medieval combat is a bit of a joke. Call of Duty already exists for anyone interested in that game.

I also think mounted combat needs some sort of challenge to it. Right now your horse simply does what you want exactly when you want it. There should be a small delay between when you press the left button and when your horse actually responds and starts turning left for example. The same thing for starting and stopping your horse.

Something I liked from War of the Roses was the weapons such as axes, spear, halbards etc, not doing any damage except for if you hit your enemy with the correct part of the weapon (not the pole). I don't like the way it was implemented which essentially made any such weapon completely underpowered and shunned for good reason because in the moshpit of combat, and when fighting stupid people who can't and don't even try to block, you end up dying because you failed to interrupt your enemies attack due to the pole of your weapon striking the enemy and not the axe head, resulting in 0 dmg and you getting hit. I think rather, damage should be dealt and the enemies attack interrupted one way or the other, but bonus damage dealt when effectively hitting the enemy with the axe blade. In Mount&Blade terms; hitting with the pole of the axe does 15 blunt dmg, hitting with the axe blade does 30 slashing dmg. Either way the enemies attacks would be interrupted and the combat would continue on as normal but hitting with the correct part of the weapon is still a very good idea.

Anyways, hopefully Bannerlord ends up being a good game.

images

Good luck =D

sirwho said:
I played Native again a couple days ago and remembered why I stopped playing it. Archers are way too good. I died 2 times in melee combat, ended with a score of 13-11. Getting shot that many times does not make for fun, challenging, skill based combat. :neutral:

I think archers need a more interesting and hard setup to make them more challenging to play and alot less deadly and annoying. This is afterall a game focusing on creating a medieval combat system, and easy, accurate and effective ranged weaponry in medieval combat is a bit of a joke. Call of Duty already exists for anyone interested in that game.

I also think mounted combat needs some sort of challenge to it. Right now your horse simply does what you want exactly when you want it. There should be a small delay between when you press the left button and when your horse actually responds and starts turning left for example. The same thing for starting and stopping your horse.

Something I liked from War of the Roses was the weapons such as axes, spear, halbards etc, not doing any damage except for if you hit your enemy with the correct part of the weapon (not the pole). I don't like the way it was implemented which essentially made any such weapon completely underpowered and shunned for good reason because in the moshpit of combat, and when fighting stupid people who can't and don't even try to block, you end up dying because you failed to interrupt your enemies attack due to the pole of your weapon striking the enemy and not the axe head, resulting in 0 dmg and you getting hit. I think rather, damage should be dealt and the enemies attack interrupted one way or the other, but bonus damage dealt when effectively hitting the enemy with the axe blade. In Mount&Blade terms; hitting with the pole of the axe does 15 blunt dmg, hitting with the axe blade does 30 slashing dmg. Either way the enemies attacks would be interrupted and the combat would continue on as normal but hitting with the correct part of the weapon is still a very good idea.

Anyways, hopefully Bannerlord ends up being a good game.

I am surprised you didn't even mention horse archers yet!  :razz:
I guess you didn't play Mount&Blade long enough to fight against the Khergits, in any case if they added a more challenging archery system like you were talking about, I would think horse archery would be very challenging to use effectively, and I think we can all agree that would be a good thing! (aka now some random idiot that just got the game can't get onto a horse and start shooting everyone without risking his own life...  :mrgreen:)

In any case I fully agree with that, I hope Bannerlord is able to at least go a little in that direction.

Also for those who might have forgotten, we have our "Europa Universalis III Play Together event" on Saturday at 12:00 GMT +1, make sure to show up if you have EU 3! For the newer players show up an hour before hand so someone can go through the basics for you.
The event will most likely go through the day till about 18:00 GMT +1 or so.

I hope to see you there!  :lol:

Sirdur13 said:
Also for those who might have forgotten, we have our "Europa Universalis III Play Together event" on Saturday at 12:00 GMT +1, make sure to show up if you have EU 3! For the newer players show up an hour before hand so someone can go through the basics for you.

I'll be there, I finished the tutorials today but I'm gonna guess that the main game is a lot harder lol

Edit: I'm also going be around a lot more in general next week

Mustang678 said:
Sirdur13 said:

I'll be there, I finished the tutorials today but I'm gonna guess that the main game is a lot harder lol

Most you can do is ask one of the people who plays EU 3 a lot and see if he will help you with the basics.
Also note, another good thing when the main game starts try to ally yourself to someone that knows what he is doing. It helps.

Sirdur13 said:
Mustang678 said:
Sirdur13 said:

Most you can do is ask one of the people who plays EU 3 a lot and see if he will help you with the basics.
Also note, another good thing when the main game starts try to ally yourself to someone that knows what he is doing. It helps.
Are there any huge differences between singleplayer and multiplayer?
I've been reading some guides but it's a lot of information to take in

Mustang678 said:
Sirdur13 said:
Mustang678 said:
Sirdur13 said:

Are there any huge differences between singleplayer and multiplayer?
I've been reading some guides but it's a lot of information to take in

Not really, except now you will obviously be playing/fighting against real people. If you know how to play Single player well, you will most likely do well in Multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom