SP Fantasy [WB] Ranger's Apprentice

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
5uxcw.png

Welcome to the Ranger's Apprentice Mod, based on the novel series written by John Flanagan. It is based on the lore, instead of the story.

This is the second reboot of a popular mod by EarlOfSwadia, and as I do not have to source code for either of the two before this, this will probably be vastly different.

Topic Rules/Information
  • Post whatever you want, as long as it does not break any of the Global Rules and Regulations of the forum.
  • Post your bugs, suggestions, complaints, and ideas here. As well as any discussion. I will check this thread as often as possible.

As this does not follow the books, here is a quick run-down.

Araluen controls the entire island, for simplicity(This may change in later patches). Erak is Oberjarl. Will is a ranger. Those are all the major things that you might want to know.

As of July 28th, there are six factions, with its own unique troops. Araluen, Nihon-Ja, the Temujai, Skandia, Gallica, and Arrida.

-Making the Rangers their own faction.
-New troops
-New towns, castles and villages
-New map
-Larger party sizes
-Much stronger troops
-Larger battles within town centres and halls
-More chance of receiving castles from the king
-Larger tournament bets
-New initial choices
-Improved morale
-You can command larger parties
-Stronger lords and kings
-More recruits
-Larger ransom sums
-Villages offer new faction troops after being conquered
-Multiple Siege Ladders
-Bigger parties for lords.
-More Caravans
-More taxes
-A new pack of weapons and armour
-Duelling with lords, kings and companions
-Faster siege towers
-Camp Entrenchment
-Sea Battles
-Sailing
-More Metal Sound mod integrated
-More mercenaries

-Balanced Combat
-Focusing on each nation, making it as balanced as possible.
-More Nations

Factions(Bold means they are confirmed.)

Araluen
Skandia
Gallica
Temujai
Nihon-Ja
Arridi

Picta
Hibernia
Wargals
Teutlandt
Iberion
Toscano
Alpina
Sonderland

In Progress Future Completed

The current developer version is 0.51.

Coding and the Map

Modelling and Menus(Modifying the mod visually, with its new weapons and armor. It will also add and modify menus.)

More Features.(Things to keep people playing. This will largely be up to the community, but Multiplayer will come after the single player portion is done.)

Skandians
1zm1iyg.jpg

Nihon-Jans
2reh2x3.jpg

2ypjkms.jpg

eb4idd.jpg

24fh5vl.jpg

Araluens
692gpi.jpg

ojgork.jpg

2ihw6tv.jpg

Temujai
5k110w.jpg

2cwofn9.jpg

The Team
Lead Developer/Team Leader
Tormidal
Scener
Gandalf Le Grey

I do want to give an early shout-out to SupaNinjaMan, and EarlofSwadia for their great work on the predecessor to this mod. They are both great at what they do.

If you are interested in becoming a tester, or even joining the team, message me here on Taleworlds, or add me on steam(Tormidal). We are in need of modellers, composers, artists.

Signatures
A special thanks to the MnG developer Jarvisimo for making this. <3

sapprenticesig.jpg

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,240781.0.html][IMG]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7451/sapprenticesig.jpg[/IMG][/url]

I DO NOT OWN RANGER'S APPRENTICE, AND ALL THE CONTENT IN HERE IS BASED ON THE BOOK SERIES OF RANGER'S APPRENTICE, WHICH IS THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF MR. JOHN FLANAGAN, AND HIS ASSOCIATE PUBLISHERS; RANDOM HOUSE, PHILOMEL, YEARLING BOOKS, BEYAZ BALINA, AND GOTHMER UITGEVERIJ.

Didn't Supaninjaman's Ranger's Apprentice mod get shut down by John Flanagan himself? Well I hope it doesn't happen to this mod. A mod based on the series has great potential. Good luck.

Edit:
Found it. I can't say whether it would be right or wrong for you to continue but I hope you do.
SupaNinjaMan said:
Well son of a *****. I sent an email to John Flanagan two months back and just got his reply last week. Here's what he said.

Headranger said:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:24:43 +1000, Headranger <[email protected]> wrote:

Dustin,

I think you need to be very careful with this project as it seems you are infringing on my copyright. With that in mind, I can hardly advise you on how to go ahead with it.

John Flanagan
I respect his right to protect his work but I'm hoping that was a mostly automated response. Just incase I replied with an email requesting he confirm that he is viewing my derivative work as copyright infringement and would like me to stop.

This might be the end of this leg of the project, but I'm not going stop developing the mod I've envisioned. I'll simply cut out any reference to Ranger's Apprentice, Araluen, etc and continue on. His copyright doesn't extend beyond his works and their derivatives so currently everything but the map, the places and the names of characters can still be used. If he does confirm that my project offends him I'll move on. No big deal.

I really hope you all will stay along if it does go that way as your support if very inspiring. If it doesn't, I'm sorry for the scare.

Edit Edit:Actually, now that I think of it. I recall some other modder emailing Flanagan if he was allowed to make a RA mod and Flanagan claimed he never wrote the message SupaNinja talked about. I'll try to find it.

Rigadoon said:
Didn't Supaninjaman's Ranger's Apprentice mod get shut down by John Flanagan himself? Well I hope it doesn't happen to this mod. A mod based on the series has great potential. Good luck.

Edit:
Found it. I can't say whether it would be right or wrong for you to continue but I hope you do.
SupaNinjaMan said:
Well son of a *****. I sent an email to John Flanagan two months back and just got his reply last week. Here's what he said.

Headranger said:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:24:43 +1000, Headranger <[email protected]> wrote:

Dustin,

I think you need to be very careful with this project as it seems you are infringing on my copyright. With that in mind, I can hardly advise you on how to go ahead with it.

John Flanagan
I respect his right to protect his work but I'm hoping that was a mostly automated response. Just incase I replied with an email requesting he confirm that he is viewing my derivative work as copyright infringement and would like me to stop.

This might be the end of this leg of the project, but I'm not going stop developing the mod I've envisioned. I'll simply cut out any reference to Ranger's Apprentice, Araluen, etc and continue on. His copyright doesn't extend beyond his works and their derivatives so currently everything but the map, the places and the names of characters can still be used. If he does confirm that my project offends him I'll move on. No big deal.

I really hope you all will stay along if it does go that way as your support if very inspiring. If it doesn't, I'm sorry for the scare.

Edit Edit:Actually, now that I think of it. I recall some other modder emailing Flanagan if he was allowed to make a RA mod and Flanagan claimed he never wrote the message SupaNinja talked about. I'll try to find it.

Well, the way I see it, it doesn't sound like it was shut down at all.

If it were shut down, the email would've said something more along the lines of "You're infringing on my copyrights, and you should not continue with the project." Not, "I think you need to be very careful."

To me, that sounds like more of a warning of caution.

I respect SupaNinjaMan's work, and I can understand him not wanting a lawsuit, even though it was a non-profit project.

However, I will keep this mod running for as long as possible.

Wu-long said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Nihon Jan's didn't used shields did they? :eek:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I didn't say I was done, did I? :eek:

:wink:

EDIT: I went ahead and fixed it, JUST FOR YOU. :wink:

HOWEVER, it made them pretty vulnerable to arrows. Out of 37, fighting 28 Sea Raiders, seven went unconscious.

I guess it fair though. 

obiwan11197 said:
I am certainly going to be keeping an eye on this...btw epic avatar.

Thanks!

I would have the signatures done by tonight, but the upstairs AC unit just died, so im going to have to keep my computer off for a while.

I should be able to resume work on both the signatures and the mod tomorrow after it's repaired. ;D

Alright guys, i got an update for you.

Im taking a summer Java course at UTD over in Texas, and because i already know most of what the professor went over today, I made some progressing balancing some of the new units, such as the Nihon-Jan Elite Guard and the Temujai Kajin.

I also added an Araluen Longbow item, just for the Araluen longbowmen. :grin:

Screenshots coming soon. :wink:

Been four days since I've been over here.

Still don't want to do signatures yet, I'm too excited. :wink:

Here's some work to show off.(The items/armor may or may not change. This applies especially to the Archers.)

With this update, I would like to say that Nihon-Ja, Araluen, and the Temujai are 100% complete, and balanced.

Along with that, the basic coding for the mod is now at 50%, another week and I should have Gallica, Skandia, and Arridi done, as well as a campaign map.

Here's something for you guys to decide.
Which one should I do? Story Driven, or Sandbox?

Story-Driven:
Before I delve too much, this means that the mod will follow some of books major events, such as the invasion of Skandia by the Temujai, and the attack on Araluen by Morgorath/picts/etc.
You will meet major characters along the way, as well as experience epic battles between potentially thousands of soldiers.

These characters will include:sad:For those of you that know them) Horace, Halt, Will, Erak, Ragnar, King Duncan, Alyss, and Princess Cassandra/Evanlyn.

Sandbox:
This is pretty much the native campaign.
There will be quests, but the way you play is free-form, and you are free to do what you want.

On to the work to show off!

Here's some soldiers

Araluen Knights

2ihw6tv.jpg

Nihon-Jan Archers, then Horsemen

eb4idd.jpg

24fh5vl.jpg

Temujai Kajin, then Mounted Warriors.

2cwofn9.jpg

5k110w.jpg

Good luck Tormidal! :grin:

Tormidal said:

Looks like I got there ahead of ya!

sapprenticesig.jpg

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,240781.0.html][IMG]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7451/sapprenticesig.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Jarvisimo said:
Good luck Tormidal! :grin:

Tormidal said:

Looks like I got there ahead of ya!

sapprenticesig.jpg

Code:

D'awww Jarvisimo.

<3

I am REALLY interested in the remake of this mod, I currently have the original of it, because I am a HUGE fan of the books.

About making it Sandbox or Story-driven, you can make both, with 2 different download links, if that is not possible I'll choose for Story-driven. :mrgreen:

Alfcam said:
I am REALLY interested in the remake of this mod, I currently have the original of it, because I am a HUGE fan of the books.

About making it Sandbox or Story-driven, you can make both, with 2 different download links, if that is not possible I'll choose for Story-driven. :mrgreen:

Its possible. Itll just take a while. xD

Ive kinda had to halt progress, because there is a lack of a tool to edit the campaign map, other than that, the faction unit(s) are completely balanced, I just need to work on renaming all the lords and town/castles/villages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom