Collection of historical ranks

Users who are viewing this thread

Wasn't that Chosen man until relatively late in the war?

I always get confused about this stuff...British ranks...Beeh!

also, this:
Onder-Luitenant - Sub Lieutenant
Adjudant - ???
Sergeant-Majoor - Staff Sergeant
Sergeant - Sergeant
Fourrier - Corporal
Korporaal - Lance Corporal
Soldaat/Fusilier/Grenadier - Private

Is pure crap.

The 1815 Dutch didn't have a lance corporal rank, and I believe that staff sergeants were artillery sergeant-majors...

It should be:
2de Luitenant/vaandrig - Second lieutenant/ensign
Sergeant-Majoor - (company) sergeant-major
Sergeant - Sergeant
Fourrier - (corporal)-fourrier (happy? :razz:)
Korporaal - corporal
Soldaat/Fusilier/Grenadier - Private

Chosen Man was for the rifles and it was only used in the early part of the war, i.e. very early 1800s, and then was just renamed to Lance Corporal.

May I ask: where did you find the Austrian Artillery Ranks? Since I can only find some for the Austrian-Hungarian Army, and those are drastically different.

MustacheWins said:
May I ask: where did you find the Austrian Artillery Ranks? Since I can only find some for the Austrian-Hungarian Army, and those are drastically different.

Are they?

Vicccard said:
MustacheWins said:

Are they?

Yes, all the "Feuerwerks-" stuff disappears, except for one Rank which is "Feuerwerker". I am german, not austrian, and they use some words differently, but "Feuerwerk" is more like fireworks, pyrotechnics, anyways....

Gwyrdh said:
Chosen Man was for the rifles and it was only used in the early part of the war, i.e. very early 1800s, and then was just renamed to Lance Corporal.
The appointment of Chosen Man was universal to all troops considered light infantry, including light regiments and light companies within line regiments. I have here the official 1813 regulations of the 85th Light Infantry regiment, which state that a company's captain appointed a chosen man in every half-platoon and all corporals were to be promoted from the chosen men. It says chosen men wore a single silver-lace chevron on their sleeve.

I don't know exactly when the term lance corporal was adopted, but it was after the Crimean War. I have Crimean-era regulations that refer to the rank as "Second Corporal" but I don't know exactly when that term was adopted and abandoned.

Russian artillery
Младший унтер-офицер - Mladshiy Unter-ofitser [Corporal] its mistake
Фейерверкер - Fejerverker [Corporal] to be correct
And exist Lifeguard Marines (Гвардейский экипаж).  It is a famous russian regiment of marines in Napoleonic wars (battles Bautzen Borodino Kulm)
Капитан 1 ранга - Kapitan 1 ranga
Капитан 2 ранга - Kapitan 2 ranga
Капитан-лейтенант - Kapitan-lejtenant
Лейтенант - Lejtenant
Кондуктор - Konduktor
Боцман - Bocman
Боцманмат - Bocmanmat
Квартирмейстер - Kvartirmejster
Матрос 1 статьи - Matros 1 statji
Матрос 2 статьи - Matros 2 statji

Pinkknight said:
Is this thread dead and should I take it, or is it still alive but just not bumped in a long time? In that case, Bump.

This is what you were using against me!!!!

Might I ask how it is known that the British had Second Lieutenant as a skirmisher rank?

Docm30 said:
Gwyrdh said:
The appointment of Chosen Man was universal to all troops considered light infantry, including light regiments and light companies within line regiments. I have here the official 1813 regulations of the 85th Light Infantry regiment, which state that a company's captain appointed a chosen man in every half-platoon and all corporals were to be promoted from the chosen men. It says chosen men wore a single silver-lace chevron on their sleeve.

I don't know exactly when the term lance corporal was adopted, but it was after the Crimean War. I have Crimean-era regulations that refer to the rank as "Second Corporal" but I don't know exactly when that term was adopted and abandoned.

This might be why Wiki is a bad source. :grin:

7cb1e138d0317f2c2bb82020bdc625c3.png

The only rifles bit was also a Wiki article somewhere.

Scratch that last,I just checked the army officer lists and the 95th did use it but it was only them as they were the only full rifles regiment. They however didn't have ensigns.

The 60th though did have ensigns and didn't have 2nd lieutenants.

What about the Bavarian regiments? Would they use French ranks, Prussian/Austrian ranks, or their own? If they happen to use their own ranks, please list them.

Back
Top Bottom