NAFNGIFT – get a period name

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrix said:
Nikomakkos said:
Andrix said:
Does anyone know of a Norse or Saxon name that is similar to "Andrix"? Best one I found so far is Andrið.

Andri is an Icelandic name currently in use, and I'm pretty sure it's Old Norse too. Think it's in the mythology somewhere, a dwarf maybe?
Dwarves are badass :3

http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Andri

Ignore the bit about it being short for "Andríður". I think that's incorrect, and on the page for that name it says it's a male name but it sounds feminine, and looking at the inclination given there it's definitely feminine. In other words, I'm not sure about this website.

For Old English (a.k.a. Anglo-Saxon) you could go with Andríc.

The name itself is not attested, as far as I know, but the elements were in use in other names at least, cf. Andhún and Wulfríc.

'Andríður' should be a male name (Maðr hét Andríðr, "the man was called Andríðr"), but here there might be a confusion/merge between -(f)ríðr (female) and -(f)riðr, -(f)reðr, etc. (male). Generally speaking, I find Nordic Names Wiki to be a quite good source, much better than similar websites, but it's not exactly academic either.

As for the name 'Andri', I'm not sure it's Old Norse.

Then that website I linked has the inclination of "Andríður" wrong.

There are some bynames in there that are missing from the specifically feminine list at the bottom, such as the best one: "in djúpúðga". Anything with "in" is feminine. Also if it ends with an "a" that's a hint that it's probably feminine. For example "væna" is feminine, and the next one below it, "væni", is masculine. This is an adjective and they get different endings depending on gender.

Just wanted to double check here about a name I am interested in. Is Liutpald an acceptable variation of Luitpold ? Its not in the "Altdeutsches Namenbuch" but searching the "Althochdeutsches Wörterbuch" it seems to be correct and there even are some historical characters in 9th century Bavaria having this name.

The name is for a writing project.

If you search for "pald" and "pold" here, you'll see both variants being used. If you look at the situation in Austria, you'll even find instances of alternating Liutpaldus/Liutpoldus. So yeah, it should be fine. I would imagine the forms with -pald are more conservative, though.

vtz said:
Hey guys, I've got a question - how would you call a Slav in Old Norse and Old English used it mod's period? Also, would it make a proper byname?

Russisc? xD

http://hord.ca/projects/eow/result.php?nt=Russian&submit=+Search+&l=en&ignorecase=on&match=word&output=macron

As far as I know, they didn't have any word for the Slavs as a whole. The most generic one might be OE Winedas, ON Vindir/Vindr, "Wends", which would not work, for example, for the Rus'. As for OE russisc, it's not on the Bosworth-Toller dictionary and I can't find a source - it might be a modern coinage based on ON Rússar, "Rus'".

So, I would rule out "Slav" and go for something more specific.

I had no idea. That was just one of the websites I use to construct something that resembles Old English, though I do tend to sometimes run into the fact I can't find any other sources on such words - and I have no idea where they got them on the site.
But yeah, probably is a modern coinage. There are two options for "Polish" - though I don't know if they mean the people or the item you use to make things shiny, or the action to. xD

Wends would be the possibility. Though couldn't the Anglo-Saxons pick up a continental name for the Slavs? Perhaps something like "Welsh" (An older form of course.)? Since that just means foreigner.

hrotha said:
As far as I know, they didn't have any word for the Slavs as a whole. The most generic one might be OE Winedas, ON Vindir/Vindr, "Wends", which would not work, for example, for the Rus'. As for OE russisc, it's not on the Bosworth-Toller dictionary and I can't find a source - it might be a modern coinage based on ON Rússar, "Rus'".

So, I would rule out "Slav" and go for something more specific.
Thank you guys  :smile:
I didn't know Vikings and Anglo-Saxons didn't have any words for all Slavs. But I guess Wend would work as I wanted it for myself mostly and I'm a Pole. Also, I'm looking for a singular form.

So would Vindir be an Old Norse therm for a Western Slav? If so, could my name be Snorri Vindir? :wink: Thanks

TirAeda said:
I had no idea. That was just one of the websites I use to construct something that resembles Old English, though I do tend to sometimes run into the fact I can't find any other sources on such words - and I have no idea where they got them on the site.
You can read about its sources here. They look extremely unreliable to me (the Old English Wikipedia? Bah, they constantly coin new words, sometimes by borrowing from other Germanic languages, and even if you can justify that, still, they have no regard for whether a word is poetic or not, early or late OE, West Saxon or Anglian... They basically turn OE into a crappy conlang). And that New Anglo-Saxon Chronicle thing, while no doubt interesting, has the exact same problems as the OE Wiki. I mean, it's fine as a game, Eadric and I do it all the time out of necessity when we talk in OE, but it's definitely not scholarly by any stretch of the imagination.
There are two options for "Polish" - though I don't know if they mean the people or the item you use to make things shiny, or the action to. xD
It's meant to be the action of making things shiny (i.e. the verb, hence the "v." next to bywan; should be býwan, by the way, since they mark long vowels for hwítian), but even then they get that wrong - hwítian is a verb too, not an adjective.
Wends would be the possibility. Though couldn't the Anglo-Saxons pick up a continental name for the Slavs? Perhaps something like "Welsh" (An older form of course.)? Since that just means foreigner.
Originally it just meant "foreigner", but its meaning had become restricted. In Britain, it only meant "Welsh" (although by then "Welsh" had a broader application than it does now). In ON, it seems to have been used mostly of France according to the Cleasby/Vigfússon dictionary. The only possibility I can think of would be a learned borrowing of Greek Σκλαβηνοί, Latin Sclaveni, but I don't think any such loanword is attested, and it may have the same problems "Wends" has: it would not necessarily be applicable to all Slavs at this point.
vtz said:
Thank you guys  :smile:
I didn't know Vikings and Anglo-Saxons didn't have any words for all Slavs. But I guess Wend would work as I wanted it for myself mostly and I'm a Pole. Also, I'm looking for a singular form.

So would Vindir be an Old Norse therm for a Western Slav? If so, could my name be Snorri Vindir? :wink: Thanks
"Wend" should indeed be acceptable for a Pole. Problem is, the singular forms of Winedas and Vindr/Vindir are not attested, and it's hard to guess at what they may have been. But perhaps Vinda-Snorri, "Snorri of the Wends", would do the trick.

Dansk viking said:
Another option would be Snorri af Vindlandi, "Snorri of Wendland".
hrotha said:
"Wend" should indeed be acceptable for a Pole. Problem is, the singular forms of Winedas and Vindr/Vindir are not attested, and it's hard to guess at what they may have been. But perhaps Vinda-Snorri, "Snorri of the Wends", would do the trick.
Thank you very much guys, I'll consider both options :wink: I know Thorkell's one is probably more historical, but Hrotha's version sounds cooler to me  :smile:

BTW, I've another question: Where did word Wendland come from? I don't have any idea about it, especially that it doesn't exist in Polish/Czecho-Slovak. Is that a Viking word? If so, what does it mean?

I think that it has the same origin of places like Wales and Wallachia (Now Romania). Meaning foreign land(?) or place of the foreigners(?). Though I don't claim to be an expert, I think that is correct. Will have to wait for Þorks or Hrotha to reply however.

Hi guys, for the sake of a friend (who is making a viking age short-film), I'd like to ask if you can help me determine the etymology of the names "Lufian", "Cyst" and "Kendryek". These are the names that have been picked for some of the main characters. He claims they are all three of Old (continental) Saxon origin as he got them from an Old Saxon dictionary. However, I'd really appreciate your expert opinions on this (I know Hrotha/Éadríc might be able to help me here). If they are not Old Saxon names, I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me find the equivalent of those names in proper Old Saxon (continental).

Cheers!

vtz said:
Dansk viking said:
Another option would be Snorri af Vindlandi, "Snorri of Wendland".
hrotha said:
Thank you very much guys, I'll consider both options :wink: I know Thorkell's one is probably more historical, but Hrotha's version sounds cooler to me  :smile:

BTW, I've another question: Where did word Wendland come from? I don't have any idea about it, especially that it doesn't exist in Polish/Czecho-Slovak. Is that a Viking word? If so, what does it mean?
Oh, I totally dropped the ball by not thinking of af Vindlandi there. That's indeed the safest option, especially since Vinda-Snorri would imply this Snorri is an ethnic Wend, which raises the question of why an ethnic Wend would bear that Norse name. But perhaps he's of mixed heritage or something.

As for Wendland, Wend is a general Germanic word, ultimately borrowed from a native Baltic name that also yielded Medieval Latin Veneti.
Warner said:
Hi guys, for the sake of a friend (who is making a viking age short-film), I'd like to ask if you can help me determine the etymology of the names "Lufian", "Cyst" and "Kendryek". These are the names that have been picked for some of the main characters. He claims they are all three of Old (continental) Saxon origin as he got them from an Old Saxon dictionary. However, I'd really appreciate your expert opinions on this (I know Hrotha/Éadríc might be able to help me here). If they are not Old Saxon names, I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me find the equivalent of those names in proper Old Saxon (continental).
Those aren't real names, but for some reason they pop up in random names websites. Lufian is Old English for "to love", cyst means "choice", or "chest", or "you/he/she/it kiss(es)", Kendryek looks like a modern variant of Kendrick, which itself isn't Old Saxon in either form or origin. Kunirīk might be an Old Saxon equivalent if we assume it is Germanic (rather than Welsh).

Back
Top Bottom