NAFNGIFT – get a period name

Users who are viewing this thread

One is "aon" and eye is "súil" in modern Irish, I think. But, I am not sure. Either way, modern Irish is of no use here.

From the electronic Dictionary of the Irish Language (eDIL):

danar ‘stranger, foreigner; in depreciatory sense a cruel and ferocious foreigner or barbarian, a robber, pirate, bandit’ – actually the same word as Danar ‘Dane; Viking’

cáech ‘blind in one eye’ – also used substantively: ‘person blind in one eye’

And thus for you: Danar Cáech or just Cáech.

I'd suggest Cáech na Baile, "One-Eye of the Frenzy", but bear in mind that baile/buile meant a kind of rage and wilderness that was very similar to the Germanic concept of wod: mystical inspiration, visions and the like.

Hey, I would like to have a continental version of my name as I like it but I named the character such only because of an event. Any ideas ?

Oh, you're Léofgar? I'm no expert at all, but sounds to me as if 'Liudger' (Like I was Liud-ulf) could be a continental equivalent to Léofgar, and it's attested, but I'm not sure if it's attested to the right period. :smile:

Sounds about right. Maybe Hrotha has something to say on this. I am no expert on linguistics at all, but something like Leofgar with a Liud/Liut was my first guess aswell.

Where exactly in the continent? The Old Saxon version for example should be Liofgêr. The Old Frisian form should be Liāfgēr. In the Old High German dialects most likely to feature in Víkingr, it should be Liobgēr or Liebgēr, but in Upper German dialects it should be Liupkēr. I'm not entirely sure about any of these forms, though, so I'd wait to see if anyone else (*cough* Eadric *cough*) can confirm them.

I'm not sure the Frisian form is attested, either. The others at least should be fine.
edit: nevermind, the Altdeutsches Namenbuch does have an instance of Liafger. The spelling of the diphthong was pretty unstable though, so maybe that's not actually Frisian; you can also find io and iu regardless of dialect, I think.

edit 2: a likely Old Norman French adaptation would be Lieger or Leoger.

hrotha said:
Where exactly in the continent? The Old Saxon version for example should be Liofgêr. The Old Frisian form should be Liāfgēr. In the Old High German dialects most likely to feature in Víkingr, it should be Liobgēr, but in Upper German dialects it should be Liupkēr. I'm not entirely sure about any of these forms, though, so I'd wait to see if anyone else (*cough* Eadric *cough*) can confirm them.

I'm not sure the Frisian form is attested, either. The others at least should be fine.

Old High German it would be.

Then bear in mind I edited my post to add Liebgēr as a general (not Upper German) OHG variant, although I don't know where exactly it would have been used.

I think I will stay with Liebgēr until something more likely is found. Thanks for your help. :mrgreen:

EDIT: How do I include the special characters ingame.

You don't actually need to use <ē> per se. Some scribes were very consistent when it came to marking long vowels (Notker for example might have written something like Líebgêr, with an acute accent and a circumflex), but on the whole you can safely leave those diacritics out.

I think I spotted a little error in the Old Norse byname list. "Inn goði" should be "inn góði" and it means "the good".

"Inn" is the definite article, i.e. "the".

EDIT: And I doubt that "austmaðr" refers to a man from "continental Scandinavia" (is there non-continental Scandinavia?). I would think it refers to a man from the Baltic countries or somewhere there.

EDIT: "inn" is the masculine article, "in" the feminine. "In auða" is a byname for a woman.  Another little thing I found was "gyðja" which in Old Norse meant goddess as well as priestess. It derives from "goð" which is cognate with English "god".

Does anyone know of a Norse or Saxon name that is similar to "Andrix"? Best one I found so far is Andrið.

Andrix said:
Does anyone know of a Norse or Saxon name that is similar to "Andrix"? Best one I found so far is Andrið.

Andri is an Icelandic name currently in use, and I'm pretty sure it's Old Norse too. Think it's in the mythology somewhere, a dwarf maybe?

Nikomakkos said:
Andrix said:

Andri is an Icelandic name currently in use, and I'm pretty sure it's Old Norse too. Think it's in the mythology somewhere, a dwarf maybe?
Dwarves are badass :3

Back
Top Bottom