Titan Isle

Users who are viewing this thread

Development Version: 1.01

Download:
No longer available.
Scenes.txt:
Code:
scn_scene_14 scene_14 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x0000000430000500c00d2348000023220001645f00003fa0
 outer_terrain_plain

Screenshots:
From peaceful farming communities
9k2gbc.jpg

To exciting arena battles
4vr02v.jpg

And dangerous ore mines
3096kbs.jpg
Overhead Map:
dbpbub.jpg
Recommended System Specifications:
Processor: 1.73GH/z Dual Core or better
Video Card: GT 640/HD 5670 or better
Advice from the Editor:
Horses cannot enter water. Period, end of story. None. Whatsoever. If you see a horse in water, an admin spawned it there, and he should be beaten with a wet spaghetti noodle.
The spawns for all factions protected by an invisible barrier and marked with white chalk. No teleports. No free money.
Each castle has advantages and disadvantages. Unless you own them all, be prepared to 'convince' the others to let you acquire their stuff.
(Almost) all of the weapons are located in interiors who's doors are 10 meters from one another. Pay attention to the convenient signs near doors.

Update Archive:
Version 1.00

- Public Release
Version 1.01

- Ported to Beta5

You may not edit this scene without explicit written permission from me in a private message.

Could I suggest maybe dividing up resource gathering and refinery facilities amongst the castles more evenly? Otherwise the tendency is just for one big mob faction and no real warfare or conflict, not to mention prosperity.

The economic idea behind the map is that each castle has relative control over certain raw resources. The town, being surrounded by a river (no horses in water on this map), has limited access. However, they control all of the refineries.

I hope it creates actual in game consequences to a faction's war declaration as they may cut themselves off from iron supply, or worse, all of the refineries. Plus, the town castle has the most siege entrances.

I got it but I am not convinced. There is no place for war in this map. If war will start all server population will suffer from it. It may be good thing, but we usually have a lot of blood firsty punks - NO FUTURE!!! - like. Players will not care if they have or have not supply for war. Just check VoS in that matter.

I would still prefer map in which war is for those who want it and serfs just make money on it.

That's the thing, no factions have refining/material collection units. They absolutely must protect and perhaps fund the commoner's efforts during hard times in order to receive support from them as a faction. Without commoner support, it's a very short time before a faction runs out of equipment and supplies.

This can be dodged by filling your castle's storehouse with supplies. Each castle comes with a room full of pw_item_chest_a props to use as needed.

I am not pesimist. It may work.

It is risky map to introduce at this stage. It is like make or break.

Just checking if I well understand:

You have:
1 Castle with all iron in the world.
1 Castle with no resources, but close to all refining in the world.
1 Castle(Sarranid) I can not figure it out what it has.
1 Castle  - just in case (for loosers or bandits)

Serfs have to transport all raw resources to the Town, were army of creaftsman refine them to iron bars/boards/leather rolls/linen etc.. Then you take it back to the castle armory to make what you need or you store for later. Right? 

One castle holds the iron mine. However, the back way in is unsealable, i.e. you cannot completely block off access without soldiers.

One castle owns all of the refining and engineering props and has the most entrances into their castle (most require engineer (look in the smithy for those)).

Sarranid castle owns the fish and salt supply, so they are able to control half the food market and all of the food preservation market.

The other castle is a somewhat special design, it's entirely interiors because of it's close vicinity with the Rhodok castle. It has easiest access to wood and flax.

Castles do not have armouries. All weapons and armours and clothes are made in the town, one room for each (weapons, armor, clothes). That's part of the town's advantage, without either friendly relations or brute strength, you will not be able to arm your armies. If the town loses access to iron, they won't be able to produce weapons or armour which may sour relations with the other factions providing flax, wood, fish, and salt.

The key to success will be organized stockpiling of resources or extremely good diplomatic skill. Brute strength will only work if you can arm your troops.

I like the concept, just remember that once everyone is done making their money, they will want to do other things orther then joining a faction. I would make the village/town in the right bottom corner a tad bit bigger.

Won't there be a huge imbalance in faction wealth? Iron has considerably more uses than fish or meat, and commoners tend to prefer mining to fishing. I'd give the Sarranid some other advantage, perhaps the only castle with access to ships or something.

People will got too hard time to set up the trade line. You will end up to see people fighting on rusty sword sumpter horse and only a few having steel weapons. Like in a sort of barbarians dark age.
Unless you have a way to force trading.

Aldric said:
People will got too hard time to set up the trade line. You will end up to see people fighting on rusty sword sumpter horse and only a few having steel weapons. Like in a sort of barbarians dark age.
Unless you have a way to force trading.
yo but the people who do trade will win and kill all the barbarians and make a lot of gold.

Won't work, people barely produce goods on the current RCC map in its present setup, with reasonable resource areas (abundant iron ore) and abundant processing areas and armories. What you've done is put all the weapon and armour production in a single location (the town), and expect that somehow, other factions are going to be able to stand up to whoever has the town, with its weapons and armour, when they themselves have neither of those. Saying that without the ore or wood or linen to produce that stuff they won't have an advantage is completely missing how production occurs in PW.

A good effort, but maybe a bit small as well, perhaps take the island idea and re-work it?

IrishPraetorian said:
Won't work, people barely produce goods on the current RCC map in its present setup, with reasonable resource areas (abundant iron ore) and abundant processing areas and armories. What you've done is put all the weapon and armour production in a single location (the town), and expect that somehow, other factions are going to be able to stand up to whoever has the town, with its weapons and armour, when they themselves have neither of those. Saying that without the ore or wood or linen to produce that stuff they won't have an advantage is completely missing how production occurs in PW.

A good effort, but maybe a bit small as well, perhaps take the island idea and re-work it?
but first we need to test it and see what happen. and then we fix it.

eth1234567890 said:
IrishPraetorian said:

but first we need to test it and see what happen. and then we fix it.

Well I believe the principle has been tested on the default scene and found lacking, if you want production you need to make it easy and simple, as well as relatively equitable.

It's by no means meant to be an easy map.

What I've found other maps to be lacking is motivation for factions. If you're the lord of the Rhodok castle with iron, you can completely cut the rest of the world off from iron, making the town's abundant refineries worthless for combat equipment. Doing this can be used either as a strategy for war, or forcing them to do something on the diplomatic side.

Maintaining proper relations with the town is crucial to a faction's survival. However, since all of the factions are trying to do so, there will be conflicts of interest and betrayals. Holding the town does nothing if the 3 other castles have cut off raw materials.

Back
Top Bottom