The Secret World

Users who are viewing this thread

The Secret World, now Buy to Play
Review from a "single player" point of view

The game is still stonking good fun to play, both when running the incredibly well written quests (everything is relative, but it's miles beyond any other MMO I've played and doesn't pale in comparison to modern RPG's in general) and when running the delightfully challenging dungeons.
Everyone that owns the game also gets an infinite amount of 72 hour buddy keys so it's not like you have anything to loose by trying it out, just send me a PM with your email and I'd be more than happy to sort you out.

All of us lot playing are Illuminati which actually does make a bit of a difference, there's no real cross-faction cabal (guild) functionality but if you really want to play as one of the other two, go for it.
If you do decide to play, feel free to send a tell to any of us and we'll be more than happy to invite you to our cabal for access to the guild chat and bank, not to mention any help you might need.

Our Cabal: the Interrelations and Requisitions Company (Game nick / Skype name)
Lamby (lost-lamb)
Elisianthus (garretandreason)
Calodine (calodine_)
Fehnor (fehnor)
Stockbaron (rebelknight4)
Tuckles (bryanptan)
Wellen (breaker_of_waves)

Roight, it's that time of the year again, the time when I start pestering people to start playing another MMORPG, last time it was Anarchy Online, and this time it's The Secret World.

The beta just finished last weekend and it's due to be released on Tuesday the 3rd of July, players who have preordered should get into the game on Friday the 29th however.

The game itself is based on a completely classless system without levels with near infinite room for customising your characters.
Better more detailed summary.

From what I've played so far, the missions/quests are also much better than what has been the standard fair in MMO's so far. Gone are most of the kill 10 rats here and bring me their left eyes, instead the quests tend to be organised around doing a number of activities in a certain area ranging from activating different items to solving some honest-to-dog puzzles, many of which require actual thought to complete.

Not to mention that the misery of picking up a gazillion quests at the quest-hub and completing them all, only to run back to the hub to get a gazillion more is gone as well. The way TSW works, is that you can only have one Main Quest and three Side Quests active at once, and every time you complete one you can just automatically finish the quest from wherever you are, get your reward and be certain that you can find a new one within half a minute of where you finished the last one. All in all, quite lovely.
Better more detailed summary

I myself was completely sold after the beta which I got to partake in during the weekend, and would very much like to get a similar group of people together to play it as we had for AO, seeing as that was ****loads of fun.

I watched some gameplay videos and the combat seemed... silly. It looked so... I really have no word for it. Weightless, I guess.

Also, is it a hotkey MMO? Any changes from the tired of formula if it is?

The quest system sounds and looked pretty good, definitely.
And the setting of course.

It is indeed a hotkey MMO, more GW than WoW from what I've gathered of the two though. There is no auto-attack, the only way to attack is to use one of your abilities. As for changes, the main thing I liked that there is no real need to standing still, as long as you have LoS to your opponent you can move freely and still use almost all of your abilities, this comes in very handy seeing as the enemies have loads and loads of nasty attacks that you actually HAVE to dodge, making it much more of an active experience rather than sitting there drinking coffee until your abilities come out of cooldown.

Decent look of the combat from the last beta

Hm, having to manually dodge and all that actually sounds quite good.
Standing still for most of the fights really is the worst part about the classical hotkey MMO's combat.

Ugly as sin, and being made by Funcom, which when I heard about that I thought to myself "someone let them make another MMO?"

mite b cool though, haven't played it yet.

Is it subscription-based?

Pffftbfbfbbtbfbbbfffftttfbft.

Too bad I didn't get in the beta, maybe they'll have a trial so I can see what it's like first.

BattleOfValmy said:
Ugly as sin, and being made by Funcom, which when I heard about that I thought to myself "someone let them make another MMO?"

mite b cool though, haven't played it yet.

Is it subscription-based?
Funny, I found it quite pretty myself :razz:

As for Funcom, played AO on and off since 04 and I have no complaints.

And yes, subscription based.
Ljas said:
Subscription AND microtransactions.
They're very adamant that the microtransactions won't offer undue advantages though.

The combat is much better than when TB did his livestream. Much closer to GW2 now. Not quite as good, but still a big improvement. I'd say it's actually very similar to GW2 in many respects now. It's definitely more static and role based (IE you can focus on healing/tanking/damage to some extent), but still quite mix and match. I'd say there's actually MORE build variety than gw2, given you can take abilities from multiple weapon trees and stick 'em on your passive bar. Or have a basic AoE builder attack from one weapon and have every other ability use another etc.

Definitely worth a look.

I played some of the Beta this weekend, and it was fantastic. A+ story (zombies and cthulu mystery), good combat (Not great, but on par with GW2), Very fun leveling system with no curve or cap. Eventually, you can unlock everything. Mix and match weapons (very much like gw2), and mix and match active and passive abilities. Gear availability is based on a second leveling system. In the beta weekend, the stuff you were fighting dropped what you needed next.

$50 up front
$15/mo
cash shop -this almost threw me off, but the gear that gives you stats is separate from the gear that makes you look pretty. I have a strong suspicion some of the gear to make you look pretty will be what is sold. If there is game changing gear in the cash shop, I'm gonna be pissed because I already pre-ordered. (Yes I would cancel over that, I'm ****ing crazy).

Here's some cool stuff:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/vhhwg/i_am_ragnar_t%C3%B8rnquist_senior_producer_and/

Back
Top Bottom