IF SPQR agreed to let us, anyone be interested in finishing the BI mod for M&B?

Users who are viewing this thread

muiehaha said:
I'm in but i don't have the time....

Not really much point saying you're in then, eh?  :wink:

I've asked in the modding section about how to do all of the above, and since I've got like 3 months of no uni now, I can easily put at least an hour a day towards this shiz myself, although I'm hoping to get some experienced modders on board if possible.

Also, it looks like getting SPQR's permission to use it is impossible, since he hasn't signed onto his account since January. Don't suppose anyone knows of a different site he uses or any way to contact him?

There is a lot of people with this name. I checked the members list an there is at least 50 with that name or have spqr included in their names..

Ha, yeah I had a feeling that'd be the case....

Well, I've decided that, screw it, I'm gonna be an ambitious bastard and take on trying to mod WB myself. I'm probably going to regret this and it may never finish, but then I'm not gonna go all-out and try to make EVERYTHING Roman-esque....my aims are currently:

1 - edit the map to one that goes further East than the current Barbarian Invasion one does; the BI map barely leaves any space for Persia, and if the Eastern Roman Empire were included with historical lands, the Persian would have nothing.

2 - figure out what date to set the mod at, and create as many major historical factions as possible - it will likely be set in the late 4th/early 5th century, and I can imagine major factions including both halves of the Roman Empires, the Persians, the Vandals, the Goths, etc

3 - once a date is set, research and create accurate troop trees

4 -my big hope here is to get permission from modders over at the Total War forums to let me use their troops trees as inspiration to model mine on, and, if I'm really lucky, get Warband modders with relevant weapons/armour to let me use them in this mod as well, and in general have weapons and armour sorted

4 big, BIG things to try and work on, from what I've gathered - if you've never tried to mod this game before, believe me, it is one giant mind****.

I could help later in the futer, but right now i have home issues yo worrry about :smile: have fun

Aenima said:
Ha, yeah I had a feeling that'd be the case....

Well, I've decided that, screw it, I'm gonna be an ambitious bastard and take on trying to mod WB myself. I'm probably going to regret this and it may never finish, but then I'm not gonna go all-out and try to make EVERYTHING Roman-esque....my aims are currently:

1 - edit the map to one that goes further East than the current Barbarian Invasion one does; the BI map barely leaves any space for Persia, and if the Eastern Roman Empire were included with historical lands, the Persian would have nothing.

2 - figure out what date to set the mod at, and create as many major historical factions as possible - it will likely be set in the late 4th/early 5th century, and I can imagine major factions including both halves of the Roman Empires, the Persians, the Vandals, the Goths, etc

3 - once a date is set, research and create accurate troop trees

4 -my big hope here is to get permission from modders over at the Total War forums to let me use their troops trees as inspiration to model mine on, and, if I'm really lucky, get Warband modders with relevant weapons/armour to let me use them in this mod as well, and in general have weapons and armour sorted

4 big, BIG things to try and work on, from what I've gathered - if you've never tried to mod this game before, believe me, it is one giant mind****.

Good luck! Modding the game can be not only hard, but very addictive and fun as well.

Hecate said:
I could help later in the futer, but right now i have home issues yo worrry about :smile: have fun

muiehaha said:
Once you set the date, i'll do my best and do some research. If you need anything, just pm me.

DrTomas said:
Good luck! Modding the game can be not only hard, but very addictive and fun as well.

Thanks, guys, I'm feeling the love.

Tomas, the bit I'm struggling at with right now is no.1 - making the map. I just madethis thread detailing how I've had absolutely no luck trying to create a new campaign map. I don't suppose you've got any advice for making a map on Windows 7 (you being on the E.1200 team, I'm just hoping that you might have some experience with map making side of things!)

You're right about the addictive bit, I have to admit - as clueless as I am about doing it, and as frustrating as it is, I really, really want to find out how to get it done right!

yes I have the same problem once i tryed making a revised map of the native map for WB... I would much like to know what to do also

This is the correct profile of SPQR from BI

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=17514

NacroxNicke said:
This is the correct profile of SPQR from BI

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=17514

Thanks, Nacrox, but I'd already gone straight there at first - as you can see, he hasn't logged on here in 5 months, so it's unlikely he'll be back on anytime soon.

Either way, we're now working on doing a BI mod for Warband, so we don't need his permission to use his stuff (since I never really played his beta and thus have no idea what's there - makes it easier to just start from scratch since we don't have to track him down!)

Thanks again!

I will try to do a raw map in a few days..but don't count on me. I don't know how or what tools to use but i'm an ambitious mtfcker and as soon as i have a day off, i'll start working at it.

Hate to double post, but I figured this would need its own post.

A little update; Warband only has 6 factions to begin with. Though it's possible to add many more in, I'm not trying to spend forever and ever modding this - as such, I'm just gonna stick with going for 6 factions as well, and as a result, it'll be set circa 400 ad. The Western Empire still owns Spain, Gaul, Britain and North Africa, but not for long - historically, the famous barbarian invasions are set to begin.

I used a picture of the Europa Barbarorum (a Rome Total War mod; highly recommend for those who love to get deeply into history when playing) world map as my editing template; it doesn't have too much writing on it to catch your eye, nor does it have brightly coloured regions all over the place. I cut it down a bit since it spread very far East, further East than I wanted, but the Persian Empire is still very strong and has more land than the original BI mod would have allowed for.

The 6 factions are

- Western Roman Empire
- Eastern Roman Empire
- The Huns
- Persia
- The Picts
- The German Tribes

Ideally there would have been going on, if not more than, a dozen factions, which would have allowed for "The German Tribes" to be separate factions, not just one (ie the Franks, Saxons, Burgundians, etc) As it is they've been meshed into one, and I intend to try and show the diversity of the "coalition" by including troops of all cultures, ie Frankish throwing axeman as a heavy infantry/missile unit, Saxon heavy infantry, etc.

The Map

rivercrossingsandimpassableland-1.png

Legend

Red = Western Roman Empire
Purple = Eastern Roman Empire
Dark blue = The German Tribes
Black = The Huns
Teal = Persia
Green = The Picts

The large crosses are areas I intend to make inaccessible - since no one was wondering around the Sahara or the Arabian desert, and since they were of no importance, they'll be impossible to walk into. I'll see if it's possible to generate Berber/Bedouin bandits to patrol each of them for fun, but due to the faction limit, there won't be a Berber or Bedouin faction for the Romans to contend with, unfortunately.

The arrows indicate intended areas where sea travel will be allowed - from the mods I've played, I've gotten the impression that sea routes are laid out by the modder, and it's not just the case that an army can get on a boat at any point of water and sail to wherever they please. These are intended to better simulate troop movements (in case the Romans ever happen to fight one another) as well as the famous migrations into Britain of the Germans along with Pictish raids into Britain.

Intended Features

Nothing too major here, especially as I don't know what's possible to add in, but there are some things I've thought about.

- if it's possible to add in several different lines of success for troop trees (ie 2 types of infantry, not just 1, along with the same archers and cavalry being possible) I want to implement, for the Western Empire, a Foederati recruitment system - "Foederati" was the name given to barbarian soldiers in service to Rome, and that's what I want for the Western Empire; to reflect the decline of the West, Roman soldiers will cost a bucket-ton of cash, but instead of upgrading to heavy Roman infantry, the player can opt to make their peasants/light infantry upgrade into a different branch of infantry, the Foederati. They'll be cheaper, but not as good on the battlefield. I realise it's not particularly accurate to recruit Romans from a village in Italy and end up turning them into barbarian soldiers, but life, lemons and all that!

- keeping in line with the same theme, and as mentioned, I'd like to work most of all on the Germanic troop tree, and try and get different "branches" that would represent the different men and fighting styles of the many Germanic tribes. Saxon soldiers could predominantly be heavy infantry, with the Franks offering ranged infantry, and other famous Germanic warriors being present in the troop tree. It's just an idea, but it could work.

- if we really wanted to simulate the decline of Rome at this point, we could set it so that villages are more regularly raided by bandits in an effort to show riots and a lack of public order, requiring the Romans to stay around their holdings to prevent them from "revolting" (unlikely to be included, since the AI probably wouldn't bother to attack bandits unless nearby)

- the Western Empire would be outnumbered by the Germans, the Picts, and, when they arrive, the Huns. Those would be their main enemies. The Eastern Empire would have to contend with an immensely strong Persia, as well as the Huns, who would both be battling it out at the far East of the map.

And that's all for now!

Aenima said:
Tomas, the bit I'm struggling at with right now is no.1 - making the map. I just madethis thread detailing how I've had absolutely no luck trying to create a new campaign map. I don't suppose you've got any advice for making a map on Windows 7 (you being on the E.1200 team, I'm just hoping that you might have some experience with map making side of things!)

To work with toghrims map editor, you need to install the original m&b. Do the map there and then copy the map.txt to your warband mod folder. Placing settlements on the campaign map needs to be done via the module system, module_parties.py file more exactly.

alternatively, you can always use an OSP map. This one is preaty good: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131564.0.html

And I'm not part of E1200 team, nor I have anything to do with the E1200 development. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom