Cult - Awakening of the Old Ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Merlkir

Another project on the Kickstarter bandwagon and my second ever pledge.

Described by the author as:  Darklands + Dwarf Fortress + The Elder Scrolls

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dhagar/cult-awakening-of-the-old-ones

It's already funded, now trying to get to a stretch goal allowing for modularity. (moddability)

I'm really interested to see where this goes, procedurally generated sandbox games are just my thing. I'd love to make something like this, I have ALL the ideas. :grin:

Watching the production videos, this IS my dream game. Holy ****. I should be studying for my finals, but all I can think of right now is "how can I convince him to implement ALL MY IDEAS?!". :grin:

random bits of goodness:

- random generated races and creatures, no typical elves and dwarves
- generated languages
- generated gods and spirits

Looks promising, but I really don't like how pixelated it is (although I am sure this is far, far from the final graphics, but I still think DF looks a bit better).

EDIT: Just got to the part where he says he wants to get its own tileset. I really hope it doesn't remain too pixelated though. Just makes me want to turn up the sharpness/focus. Still though, this looks very promising.

"If you want to play a hermit who builds castles, that's fine."

:lol:

edit: some guy in RPS comments doesn't recommend backing this, as the guy has made (reportedly) little progress in the past year and has been on and off showing this on the Dwarf Fortress forums.

Well. That may be. I'm liking what he's shown in the videos a lot.

Does look interesting. If he does manage to bring it out I'll be sure to get it.

Merlkir said:
Watching the production videos, this IS my dream game. Holy ****. I should be studying for my finals, but all I can think of right now is "how can I convince him to implement ALL MY IDEAS?!". :grin:

Just donate the 1'500 dollars and go on a cruise with the bloke.  :razz:

Yeah. :grin: Maybe he thought nobody would actually buy that? How much do cruises cost?

Sorry, but I'm finding this to be more like a daydream than anything. It looks and sounds incredibly over-ambitious for one person - even if he were a professional programmer - to accomplish. This here is just a Computer Science bloke.

Personally, if he could actually finish a semi-playable version, I'd see that as a major accomplishment.

What it takes from a person to go from "computer science bloke" to "professional programmer"? Someone to hire you (into a position of a programmer; computer science lends itself to a lot of other things too). :grin:

In fact I'd have more trust in the computer science guy than a professional programmer if I had to go with that information only. A programmer can program, while someone familiar with computer science is likely to be knowledgeable of software architecture and efficient algorithms (and why they are good for certain tasks) for example for AI. Computer science also concerns itself with computer graphics (well at least my degree has it).

Well, he looks like a student, or a recent absolvent. But that's fine by me, I like what he's shown so far.

I was not aware of the adventure mode in DF, that seems similar, but two games like that are better than one. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom