Sergeant
Blue Blood
Feudal Europe - In the year of the Lord 1184

englandedwardking-1296cga.jpg

RELEASED

FOR WARBAND 1.153

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22249618/Blue+Blood.rar

If you're interested
I am new to this forum, however I have been an active modder for a long time now, I have made several mods for myself. Recently I helped the Europe 1200 mod with a patch, and that woke something in me that wanted to make its own mod about feudal Europe. Especially because I feel I am able to put some things on the table that could and should have been in the other feudal mods by now. I am not super strong with history myself, but my good friend has been helping me out with historical info, and telling me what a feudal Europe mod should contain. I think this mod delivers in the field of historical accuracy with never before seen features, but download it and judge for yourself.

The mod takes place in year 1184. I wasnt happy about setting a specific date for the mod to take place in, because I wanted to focus mostly on warfare and game play outside of a date, but at the same time I wanted to use a map of Europe, and I had to choose a year as some sort of frame of operations in terms of what places should be included, who should be king of the countries, and what country should control what land.

So why 1184? No reason. I wanted something in the age of heraldry, because I love heraldry much more than I love any other aspect of the medieval, but I also wanted to place the mod before the Byzantine Empire fell apart.

Current Features
-Ten countries: Almohads, Aragon, Castille, England, France, Ireland, Leon, Norway, Portugalm, Scotland
-Complete reworked recruitment system. The recruitment does now resemble the feudal reality, read bellow for a complete guide.
-Map of Europe
-Historical Kings, Settlements, Lords, Banners and family relations
-Diplomacy, Custom Commander, Training Fields (used Native Mod Compilation - Lite 1.00 as base for this mod, see credits)
-Freelancer 1.5, with several improvements and modifications by me.
-Start the game as a noble if you want
-Naval battles

Long term plans
-Complete map of Europe with all the relevant countries
-Many never seen before features, aspects to the game such as mercenaries, religion and culture that goes deep into gameplay, not just something that scratches the surface. I also want to make complicated sieges that resemble real medieval siege warfare.
-Herladic Horses (I am waiting for WSE to be updated to the newest Warband patch)
-Any nice suggestions you guys might come up with

Latest Changelog
_Units will now get all their weapon guaranteed (we can choose exactly wich ones, but lazyness made me apply it to all soldiers).
_Spears and lances (and some other polearms) will now break randomly. (It's based upon a simple script,we can make it complex as much as we want).
_Soldiers will always use their polearms first in battles.
_Increased horse scales (size of the horse) by 20 (if you want to get back to the original horse scales, just reduce 20 from each one) I'll see how they look in game.
-Breakable weapons are optional
-Removed tf_female flag from two of the Almohad lords (ups)
-Corrections to the simple_trigger that sets party icons based on land or sea
-Reduced bandit party size
-Restored simple_trigger on faction stances to orignal (I am going to playtest)
-Player gain 65 when joining a country via enlistment
-Fixed a freelancer bug that would trap you if you entered a battle where a person from another country was leading your side
-AI will now charge much earlier, not all that circeling around each other
-Fixed the never ending spawning of bandit camps
-Casualties for your levies would not be calculated correctly when batteling with allies
-Rebalanced wages
-Andalusian levies no longer cost wages, just like everybody else
-Reduced ideal garrison size for cities/castle
-Cities/castle garrison can no longer go more than 30% over ideal
-Nerfed the global economy
-The "lords by known relation" report  and "change faction color" option is converted to Blue Blood now
-Removed the faction relations report
-Player party sized increased when player is marshall or king
-Fixed typos
-Revamped Norwegian noble troops
-Fixed the wierd walls in hallscenes
-Fixed a game breaking provocation bug
-Removed some debug messages

Screenshots
picm4.jpg
picm3.jpg
picm2.jpg
picmy.jpg

Random pics of Scottish troops
pic8j.jpg

pic7hc.jpg

pic5fo.jpg

pic4xf.jpg

pic3vx.jpg

pic2xw.jpg

pic1sn.jpg

Teaser :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-TgW3PC3Xc

Guide to new way recruitment works.
highly recommended to read this before giving the mod a shot
In Blue Blood, there is no such thing as recruitment. It is now impossible to go to a village and "recruit volunteers", it doesn't matter if youre a peasant, a vassal, a king, if you own the village or not, it's just not possible.

In order to be able to get troops, you must own a fief, be it a village, castle or town doesn't matter. Then you must raise the levy available in this fief, either by yourself, or by having a knight in your service do it (more on this later). When you raise the levy in your fief, all the troops available will join you for a maximum of 3 weeks before returning to their home. There is no stopping this - once the three weeks have passed the troops will return home, and you will not be able to summon them again for another 3 weeks. It is possible to let your men return home sooner than the three weeks, and the waiting for the next time you will be able to summon them will also become smaller by this. If you are defeated in battle, it will be 3 weeks before you can summon the levy again no matter what. While the levy is summoned the prosperity of the fief will fall, and the fief will give less income as there are fewer hands to work and pay taxes. Also, a rich fief will give you more and better troops than a poor fief.

Furthermore, different kind of fiefs gives different kind of troops. What troops wield largely on region and culture, but this is what can be said generally about troops of Western Europe:

Village
A village will give you more troops than a castle and less troops than a town. The people from villages are mostly poor serfs, and wield weak bows, crossbows, spears and axes and often shields. If the village is wealthy some people might be wielding stronger versions of these weapons, or have horses and wield a sword. If the village is poor people will sometimes be wielding pitchforks, staffs and small knives.

Most of the peasants armor will be of low-medium strength, but it can (and will) vary based on wealth and region.

Castle
Will give very few troops. Most people live and work at the castle and the castle can't afford to loose too many hands. The men from the castle will usually wield better weapons and armor than the village people, but nothing too impressive.

Town
A town will give you the biggest amount of troops. The towns men are sponsored by the town itself and will wield powerful crossbows, big spears (or even pikes), and swords. This does too vary depending on income and region however. Armor can be anything from a rag of clothing to a full chain mail. Holding a city will give you great power, but beware, the cities are hard to control and they wont accept a tyrant. If you tax cities too hard they may just close their gate on you, and not even your personal retainers may be able to take on a city manned with angry people armed with the newest weaponry and armor by the wealthy merchants. (last part if a WIP for now)

Knights
Earlier I mentioned that you can raise the levy yourself, or have a knight do it in your stead. Im gonna lay down the differences between the two here.
When you gain a fief you have two options, govern it directly yourself, or have a knight govern the fief in your stead. The benefits of governing a fief yourself is that all of the tax revenue from the fief goes to you, however the downside of governing a fief yourself is that you have to travel there yourself in order to raise the levy, and the peasants might be more rebellious when they don't have constant presence of authority to remind them of their place (rebellious part is WIP).
The upside of having a knight governing a fief for you is that you can summon him/them using a companion or minister, and they will come directly to you with the entire levy from the fief. Plus, they will arrive themselves fully armored and with two squires at their side, that is 3 very powerful horsemen you don't get from governing the fief yourself. The downside is that you will only receive a fraction of the village's tax revenue (really its nothing), so you will have fewer coins in your own pocket should you get in need of mercenaries or a personal retainer.

Another cool feature is that when you let a knight govern a fief, the knight becomes an actual character, with his own unique name, his own unique herald and so forth, and you will be able to talk to him at the fief he governs, and have him by your side in battle. The name of the knight will not be totally random either. His first name will depend on what country you are serving, the last name will depend on the fief you grant him.

Personal Retainer and Mercenaries
It is possible to have troops on you at all time, even when your subjects are having one of their three week breaks. This can be done by hiring mercenaries or by keeping your own personal retainer. There is difference between the two, and depending on your money and strength of your kingdom and your enemies you might want different choices. The great thing about both retainers and mercenaries are that both kind of troops are very skilled, and they one on one can best anyone summoned from one of your fiefs (unless its a knight or squire), but that is about it for the equalities.

Personal Retainers
A castle under your direct control is required for you to be able to keep a personal retainer. A personal retainer can be as large as you want (but you have a force limit based on leadership and other variables like in Native, which also applies for summoned troops and mercenaries) but is also very expensive, and you want a big bunch of money or a big income before setting up a personal retainer or you are gonna be broke, and that is very bad. Being broke means you cant afford food, and even summoned troops wont answer your call if you cant feed them. Subjects will also stop paying their taxes because they know you have no people to come and teach them a lesson for not doing it. You will have to beg a friendly lord for help and hope he will come to the rescue and show the peasant who the boss is (WIP). If you have money however, a personal retainer is money well spent, they are a terror on the battlefield, the best you can have other than a knight, and they will ride your enemies down ruthlessly. Retainers are also the only kind of troops that can be upgraded in classic Native style. But be aware of your enemies, they will likely have retainers too (and if not then mercenaries), and if your opponent have a bigger retainer than you have, then youre in potential trouble.

Mercenaries
Mercenaries can be hired in taverns like always. You can find all sorts of people, almughavars, longbowmen, pikemen, a normal swordsman et cetera (In alpha release mercenaries are the same as in Native). Mercenaries are cold killers that only cares about the gold you pay them. They are cheaper than retainers because they can take care of their own equipment and training, but they act like scum of the earth. They piss where they want, scare the common folk and lower the morale of the camp and the entire army. When they are out of employment they are not afraid to plunder whoever they come across, and should the day come when you are unable to pay them, it is truly time to leg it and summon the folk, or they will strip you of everything you got and burn down your fiefs. (Last part is WIP)

Note: Mercenaries only lower morale when you have summoned subjects amongst your ranks. They are great in their own company, and professional retainers can deal with them fine. The way morale loss i calculated in by deducting the % of mercenaries compared to your total amount of troops from morale. So if you have 100 troops of which 10 are mercenaries, the morale of your army will be lowered by 10%.

In future versions there will be bands of mercenaries roaming around and plundering. They will not attack a lord, unless very weak, or a lonely traveller, but they will ambush caravans, peasants going to the market, and even attack villages and plunder them unless stopped. Mercenaries were a terror in medieval times, hated by everyone, and I plan on making them like that in Blue Blood too.

Now, you are probably thinking (or maybe not if you like Osama), this is really great, but what the **** am I supposed to do when I start the game as a worthless peasant?
You have a couple of options. I have modified freelancer so that if you earn the highest rank you will be offered a fief for your loyal services to the kingdom. If this does not appeal to you, you can find some companions (there will be several new companions in the future but for now they, and their dialog is native), and kill looters, bandits, join tournaments and the usual until you have enough renown to join a kingdom as a vassal, or enough money to hire mercenaries and assault a castle, although I wouldn't recommend it.

I NEED YOUR HELP
I hope I will have caught some peoples interest so much that they will work with me to make this mod great. There is a list of everything I could possibly want here, if I get even half of these it would be a real blessing.

-Texturers
-Scene Maker
-Writers (new companion concept, character creation rework)
-3d artist
-2d artist
-Media artist - someone who can maybe make a few videos for youtube, take some nice screenshots, maybe even help me moderate a sub forum should I be so lucky
-Music artist

I hope you will give the mod a shot, feedback is always welcome.

Team
Udud - Everything nobody else is taking care off
Sayd Ûthman - Everything nobody else is taking care off

Active Contributors
Quapitty - Banner making, artwork,researching
Wu-long - Writing
SpruceTrap - Research
MihailoSRB - Research

Mod Signature - Thanks to Quapitty
Code:
[URL=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,234363.0.html][IMG]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6476/bbbanner1.png[/IMG][/URL]
bbbanner1.png

Credits so far
Rubik - Custom Commander
Waihti - Diplomacy
Lucky Lancer - Training Fields
Bismarck - For combining the above to a module, which I used as a base
Mtarini - OpenBRF
Freelancer - Taragoth, Caba'drin, Duh, Windyplains, Schmidy, Ikaguia, Pundragon
Al_Mansur - Al_Mansur OSP Helmets
Leandrojas_ - Map
Kovas - Teutonic and Lithuanian items pack
Pino69 - Armor pack
Sayd Ûthman - Norman Helmet pack
Dejawolf - Medieval Helmet pack
Thick1988 - Warband Items Variant pack
Gothic Knight - Byzantine helmet
Dunde- Coding help
MadVader - Coding help
Cesar de Quart - Banners
Iggorbb - OSP pack
Rathos - Weapons and Armors OSP
Kuauik - Special thanks for all his great armors
Fredelios - OSP armor pack
Duh - code to tweak player party limit
Domagoj03 - For the teaser

While it's refreshing to see a mod that's well though through and have a leader with something other than the most basic knowledge of both english and actually modding the game, I can't help but feel that this particular time period has been done so many times before.

Maybe set it in 800-900 instead?

I realise this is like the worst, most provocative post ever in a mod thread, but there's already so many projects focusing on this time period.

You say you need textures, why don't you use other OSP packs that are out there ? Most of them have a medieval theme, you can use the items from those OSP packs. For example, there are two wonderfull highlander models that are posted as OSP on the forge forums.

Not don't misunderstand me, I wish you best of luck in your endeavours, but....

You realize that your dream will be really really hard to acomplish, right ?

Furthermore, you are "competing" with long-established mods, that already have thousands of hours of manpower poured into their content, that have gygabyes of graphic and sound assets, most of them original, some of them OSPs.

Sure, your ideea is original and pretty interesting, but that doesn't solve the fact that you are late to the party, entering a "market" that is already suprasaturated. As my favorite book character used to say ... "You have to be realistic about these things".

Anyway, Best of Luck, and I hope you will overcome this difficult situation you find yourself in.

Cozur said:
While it's refreshing to see a mod that's well though through and have a leader with something other than the most basic knowledge of both english and actually modding the game, I can't help but feel that this particular time period has been done so many times before.

Maybe set it in 800-900 instead?

I realise this is like the worst, most provocative post ever in a mod thread, but there's already so many projects focusing on this time period.

I'm not provocated at all.

800-900 is a mess of different countries in a period of history that I don't know anything about and have no interest in. I have been playing Brytenwalda since it came out and have been enjoying it, but the historical period never caught my interest. The middle ages period has been done before, no argument, but I honestly think I can make this mod more deep and completed than any out there.

ms_ts_2007 said:
You say you need textures, why don't you use other OSP packs that are out there ? Most of them have a medieval theme, you can use the items from those OSP packs. For example, there are two wonderfull highlander models that are posted as OSP on the forge forums.

Send a link please. About the OSP Highlander pack I had a look at those, and I was about to implent them before it was pointed out to me that they are very inaccurate and would destroy the legimacy of historical accuracy in battle I want to get going.

ms_ts_2007 said:
Furthermore, you are "competing" with long-established mods, that already have thousands of hours of manpower poured into their content, that have gygabyes of graphic and sound assets, most of them original, some of them OSPs.

About time some competition arrived to wake those monopolies up then.

ms_ts_2007 said:
Sure, your ideea is original and pretty interesting, but that doesn't solve the fact that you are late to the party, entering a "market" that is already suprasaturated. As my favorite book character used to say ... "You have to be realistic about these things".

Anyway, Best of Luck, and I hope you will overcome this difficult situation you find yourself in.

I've been modding for a long time, just never done anything within a community. The ideas are not ideas, but are very possible things that I know how to bring into the game. As you can see I plan on releasing the alpha next week, and the first main feature I will bring to the table will be included in this already. I am 75% done with the script right now, it will probably take me another day or two to finish it.

I get your skepticism one hundred percent, but click the download link when it comes up, I do think you will like the mod if you are interested in medieval times.

Hehe, I apreciate your atitude, optimism is so rare theese days.

...would destroy the legimacy of historical accuracy in battle...

Oh boy. Fine, lets go there then. This is a game. There is no legitimacy of historical accuracy in battle. Noone will apreciate your mod for being 100% absolutely historically corect. A mod needs to be fun, to look cool, not a history lesson. Take Brytenwalda, for instance. That mod is as close to being historycally corect as posible, but it is still not 100 %.

The armors and the models released as OSP packs are inspired from real life weapons, but everything is a representation, an extrapolation, not the historical truth. So my advice is not to err on the side of overzealousness. Sure, by all means, don't make a knight with a samurai helmet, but I allways considered the most severe desire to be historically accurate akin to Don Quihote's fight with the windmills.

Damn, I thought of a mod changes color of blood to blue in first place. I am disappointed.

@ms_ts_2007: this is HIS mod, and he has a hell of a vision and skill to accomplish it, so please respect the modder will ya?

I formulated my opionion in such way to be as respectful as posible. Please respect my right to have and post my opinions.  :smile:

There are always peoples like u lurking boards like this in any modifiable games, pointing fingers and shoving opinions on modder's throat, u r lucky that Udud is such a nice guy, try ur **** on TLD thread for a change, mate

Belendor said:
Damn, I thought of a mod changes color of blood to blue in first place. I am disappointed.

Dammit dude, now I want to make real blue blood mod instead of this middle ages bull****.

ms_ts_2007 said:
Oh boy. Fine, lets go there then. This is a game. There is no legitimacy of historical accuracy in battle. Noone will apreciate your mod for being 100% absolutely historically corect. A mod needs to be fun, to look cool, not a history lesson. Take Brytenwalda, for instance. That mod is as close to being historycally corect as posible, but it is still not 100 %.

The armors and the models released as OSP packs are inspired from real life weapons, but everything is a representation, an extrapolation, not the historical truth. So my advice is not to err on the side of overzealousness. Sure, by all means, don't make a knight with a samurai helmet, but I allways considered the most severe desire to be historically accurate akin to Don Quihote's fight with the windmills.

No, this is a mod, I can aim for as much historical accuracy I want independently of what the game does. I have no intentions of super pinpoint accuracy, I will aim for a general integrity of the warfare of the high middle ages rather than year 1184, for the time being, but if you sincerely believe putting stuff from the 17th century into a 12th century mod is not a stretch, then I can now inform you that this will not be the mod for you. Yes I was under the belief that kilts were middle ages too until it was pointed out to me. Who ever decided to put that into brave heart and make the entire world population have a false knowledge of Scottish medieval clothing was truly an idiot.

Thank you Captured Joe and Arzeal for support.

I'm actually looking forward for this. I tend to prefer (obviously as a mere personal taste and I mean it in no way as a critique to modders that choose otherwise) mods that release Alphas or Betas to give players and other modders something to grow fond or excited about.

My help is very much limited to simple support, however I do think, as it was mentioned by others, that you could gather a few OSP packs to use as "placeholders" so to say. It's a simple way to vary the choice of equipment from native and it's a good way to substitute the more obviously inaccurate pieces, like plate suits and the likes.
I'll leave a few links here. I personally find there's nothing wrong in making use of good works that have been made open source (when asked to the maker of said work and credited properly), but if you prefer otherwise, I still believe this mod has any right to be here, especially when other projects tend to take ages to be developed.
Links:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,216884.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,223884.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,198849.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,193272.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131564.0.html

Good luck with your project, looking forward to the alpha :smile:

Best of luck to u my friend!
Btw I found this awhile ago in the Sage's guide, and I think this might fit with your ideal of historical medieval warfare
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?41041-Armour-FAQs
#4 Post: How effective were arrows against mail?

Jesus Christ in nastypants ! Chill a bit, Arzeal, you are the one using vulgar language, not me.

Shoving opinions on modder's throat ? Really ? Is Udud a willow in the wind ? He has reason, can and will make his own decisions, it's his mod. I only typed an ideea on a message board,  something that I consider to be relevant to the topic at hand, I didn't put a gun to his head.

Anyway...

if you sincerely believe putting stuff from the 17th century into a 12th century mod is not a stretch, then I can now inform you that this will not be the mod for you.

Putting stuff from the 17th century into a 12th century mod is a stretch, however, a lot of mods do this, with great success. The ammount of research, modelling and texturing vis-a-vis armour and weapons is staggering. When put in balance with the importance of historical accuracy, the historical accuracy  sometimes loses.

One sugestion, if you are interested in historical accuracy vis-a-vis Lords, fiefs and heraldry, have you tried the Crusader Kings 2 game ? They have a well researched, historically accurate rooster of lords, dukes, counts, earls, etc. "Borrowing" their names, titles and heraldry from that game will save you hours upon hours of research on wikipedia or other internet sources. And those lords are real historical figures, so it is not in any way, shape, or form, a theft.

Regarding the overall tone of this thread, I want to state clearly that what I wrote and what I will maybe write in here should not make anyone twist they panties in a bunch. I was not flaming, trolling or insulting anyone, and I don't intend to. I will state my opinions towards a certain topic. If those opinions are contrary to your own, feel free defend your position, ignore me, whatever... Just don't get mad and upset, after all, it's just words on a forum.

Great start for a mod :smile:

Did you include the AI in the new troop/levy system or is that something you plan to do in later versions?

Goodluck on this project. I love the fact you are wanting to stay historically accurate! I'll be watching the thread, and when the download link goes up, I will be sure to try it out.

LONG LIVE REALISM!

GodHandApostole said:
I'm actually looking forward for this. I tend to prefer (obviously as a mere personal taste and I mean it in no way as a critique to modders that choose otherwise) mods that release Alphas or Betas to give players and other modders something to grow fond or excited about.

My help is very much limited to simple support, however I do think, as it was mentioned by others, that you could gather a few OSP packs to use as "placeholders" so to say. It's a simple way to vary the choice of equipment from native and it's a good way to substitute the more obviously inaccurate pieces, like plate suits and the likes.
I'll leave a few links here. I personally find there's nothing wrong in making use of good works that have been made open source (when asked to the maker of said work and credited properly), but if you prefer otherwise, I still believe this mod has any right to be here, especially when other projects tend to take ages to be developed.
Links:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,216884.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,223884.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,198849.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,193272.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131564.0.html

Good luck with your project, looking forward to the alpha :smile:

Great links, it is too bad the link to the first package is dead, so much stuff I can use based on the screenshot. I feel offended by the fact that the internet is trolling me by letting me see all the goodies, but refuse to let me get my hands on them. I already have my hands on Al_Mansurs helmet and the map.

Duh said:
Great start for a mod :smile:

Did you include the AI in the new troop/levy system or is that something you plan to do in later versions?

It will be included in the first alpha version, I am around 90% done with it after some good work today, although I expect several improvements will be made over time (check the WIP bits in the big description). I am happy that my code might have caught the interest of the top M&B code maker, or a shared 1st with a few people.

ms_ts_2007 said:
One sugestion, if you are interested in historical accuracy vis-a-vis Lords, fiefs and heraldry, have you tried the Crusader Kings 2 game ? They have a well researched, historically accurate rooster of lords, dukes, counts, earls, etc. "Borrowing" their names, titles and heraldry from that game will save you hours upon hours of research on wikipedia or other internet sources. And those lords are real historical figures, so it is not in any way, shape, or form, a theft.

I never planned on putting historical lords into the game other than kings unless someone would do the research for me, but this is genius, and I just happen to be the owner of both Crusader King titles. I can't believe I didn't think of this.

Thanks for all the support. I expect to upload some screenshots tomorrow.

About the three week thing,doesn't this render the use of besieging an enemy...useless and too time consuming.

Back
Top Bottom