Historic Thread for Floris Workshop Development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you happen to have a save game from before this happened (within a few days of it)?  I think I see the problem, but I'd like to recreate, fix and then test to make sure that resolved each of those errors in one shot.

Version 0.09 Released! - 1/24/13
  • Save Game Compatibility: Maintained! (from v0.07+)
  • Compatible Warband Version: 1.154
  • WSE Minimum Required Version: 3.1.5 (included)
Bug Fixes:
  • Companion advisors should now display properly in the companion mission report.
  • Storekeepers will now auto-buy food when leaving a fief if so configured.
  • The storekeeper’s description text in the “assign party roles” screen now properly displays the food variety morale bonus when using the alternate morale system.
  • Hired mercenary parties now build their party based upon their named culture, not the one of the city they were spawned within.  Note: As a result the mercenary parties will go through some odd changes for a week.
  • Renewing a contract with a hired mercenary party should no longer lock up the game.
  • Hired mercenary parties should now attempt to replenish their numbers with recruits.
  • Hired mercenary parties should now attempt to upgrade their troops every 14 days.
  • Mercenary parties will now expect payment weekly after renewing their contract.  Previously this was not occurring.
Game Balancing:
  • Staying within a city grants a 33% chance of reducing march penalty by 1 every 6 hours.
  • Hired mercenary parties will now attempt to upgrade their troops every 14 days down from 30 days.
  • Characters with persuasion 2 or greater may attempt haggling mercenary party costs down by 15% when it comes time to renew their contract.
Conveniences:
  • Center notes now display any improvements built or in construction, any player owned enterprises and description on how the center views the player.
  • The “View Lord Holdings” presentation has been changed as follows:
    • A lord’s renown value is now displayed under their name.
    • A lord’s reputation type is now displayed under their name if previously met or the lord is a vassal under the player.
    • The initial faction displayed upon opening should always be the player’s.
  • Morale changes are now displayed on the message log in green or red coloring.
Center Improvements:
  • Raiding or besieging parties now have a 0.5% chance per point of looting of dealing double damage to an improvement.  Lords begin with a 2% chance with certain lords gaining bonuses based upon their reputation type in addition to their looting skill.
Enhanced Diplomacy:
  • Vassals are now given a boost to weekly relation gain based upon fiefs owned.  If no fiefs are owned by a vassal then it becomes a penalty.  These values may be subject to change, but I'd like to see how they play out.
    • +30% for each village.
    • +55% for each castle.
    • +75% for each town.
    • -50% for having no fiefs.
  • New game option added to force vassals, with the player as ruler, to reinforce their party with troops from the player’s chosen culture vs. their original one.

Vasilio said:
Does Floris have a custom troop tree where I can build my own types of soldiers with gear?
Floris has the freelancer mercenaries that give you some customizing.

The Workshop has tree tree specifically for the player (if you choose to make that your culture) and you can edit it via a text editor like morph's to be equipped as you like.

I wanted something that would allow me to make my own troop tree and give them custom equipment and recruit those soldiers from my land.

Vasilio said:
I wanted something that would allow me to make my own troop tree...
You can do so by editing the "player_" troop files via morphs editor.

...and give them custom equipment...
Likewise with morph's editor.

...and recruit those soldiers from my land.
Once you own a kingdom you can speak to your minister to change your faction's "culture" which determines which troop tree your centers produce and which troops your AI vassals will recruit.  Change that culture to the player one (break tradition and make our own way option).

Then you can do everything you just requested.  There isn't an in-game customization of troops if that is what you're asking.  I just made it so folks could setup their own tree fairly easily via the editor.

New polls posted.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  It is helpful to know where folks as a whole would like to see things progress and I hope it makes playing the mod a little more enjoyable having a hand in guiding that direction.

There are things I could use a hand with.
[*] Confirming that hiring mercenaries no longer spawns errors as shown in this ticket.
[*] Helping come up with new mercenary company names and post them in this ticket.  Some features show that I lost a little track of stuff I was working on during v0.07's long break and this one shows it.  Right now there is only 2 different types of companies and the second one came with v0.09.

Some names for mercenary warbands, may sounds a bit pretentious and incorrect, cuz i using not my native languague(s):oops::
Rhodoks warbands :
Compagnia Falco d'Oro
Veluca's Military Societa
Sarranids :
Crimson Sands Ghilmans
Scorpions-al-Assuadi
Nords :
Rhodrick's Shield Wall
Brotherhood of Raven
Wolfskins
Vaegirs :
Sons of Taiga
Bearskins
Iron Druzhina
Khergits :
Black Horde
White Lancers
Windriders
Ordinary mercenaries (if their warbands planned) :
Free Company
Free Blades
Geroia Outcasts
Balion Outcasts

Realms Geroia and Balion placed out of Calradia, mention of these countries meets in dialogues with Marnid and Lezalit.

Some good names there. I actually renamed my party after the free companies in one of my games :razz:

Good to see the workshop back in business! Some nice new mechanics and ideas in there.

As a suggestion: I'd like to see village/castle/town improvements used as motivation to take/keep them more than just a bit of money - to break the rinse/repeat feel of native Warband.  Sort of a RTS dimension in that you need (for example) an armorer built in order to recruit heavy infantry or a horse breeder for good cavalry.  A number of different upgrades with different flavors would work here.

Hopefully NPC lords can be made to take advantage of this as well (I believe Sword of Damocles had a similar system back in the original M&B days) such that they too will develop better troops and centers with upgrades will be worth more to capture.

Anything that breaks the same-old-same-old [get same troops, level them, take castle/town then rinse and repeat with no real change to gameplay] would be most welcomed for an otherwise great game (and excellent mod/workshop).

12oz Jesus said:
As a suggestion: I'd like to see village/castle/town improvements used as motivation to take/keep them more than just a bit of money - to break the rinse/repeat feel of native Warband.  Sort of a RTS dimension in that you need (for example) an armorer built in order to recruit heavy infantry or a horse breeder for good cavalry.  A number of different upgrades with different flavors would work here.
This is exactly where I intend to go once I'm ready to revamp troops.  And it is a large part of why the center improvement system was designed as it was.  When that time comes you'll see an entirely new presentation for castles & towns to handle recruitment & improvement building with progress bars and option menus etc.  That is, however, slated for after village quests get some working which is after the diplomacy advisor system gets more polishing (captain of the guard specifically).

Hopefully NPC lords can be made to take advantage of this as well (I believe Sword of Damocles had a similar system back in the original M&B days) such that they too will develop better troops and centers with upgrades will be worth more to capture.
This is already in effect.  AI lords will already use a scripted AI for building improvements at their own fiefs.  When I am ready to build improvements centered around troop upgrading those will be added in.

Anything that breaks the same-old-same-old [get same troops, level them, take castle/town then rinse and repeat with no real change to gameplay] would be most welcomed for an otherwise great game (and excellent mod/workshop).
I'm always welcome to get detailed suggestions on how to accomplish that.  I have a lot of ideas on how to improve the gameplay in a long term sense, but folks have come up with a lot of good ones as well that I'd be happy to incorporate if I can.  Especially smaller, convenience improvements that can be easily added into a larger update.  Dienes made a couple of them (you'd have to look at closed tickets) that I incorporated into v0.09.

I'm excited to hear about more recruiting options.

I'd like to see the option of selling lords to the ransom broker for a reduced amount of money and maybe a small loss of honor / relation (assuming that you have to threaten the lord to get a ransom offer). In my latest game I have had like 5 lords sitting in the prison and they just aren't getting ransomed. I guess its good they aren't out causing trouble but I'd rather have more money. The logic for figuring out the ransom stuff is in menu_enemy_offer_ransom_for_prisoner where merging the accept and reject options should give most of whats needed.

Also I was wondering if it was possible to make the ai more intelligent about when to engage or run from the player based on number of parties in the area. Its silly that I can roll up with 300 men and scare off a siege force of 1200 because each party is individually not willing to take me on. The marshal at least should realize that attacking would bring in all the allies near him and crush me. I think I'm gonna see if I can get this worked out and post code if I do.

Dienes said:
I'd like to see the option of selling lords to the ransom broker for a reduced amount of money and maybe a small loss of honor / relation (assuming that you have to threaten the lord to get a ransom offer). In my latest game I have had like 5 lords sitting in the prison and they just aren't getting ransomed. I guess its good they aren't out causing trouble but I'd rather have more money. The logic for figuring out the ransom stuff is in menu_enemy_offer_ransom_for_prisoner where merging the accept and reject options should give most of whats needed.
If you are referring to a latest play-through in the workshop then you can ransom the lord by simply speaking to them while they are a prisoner in your party.  If you want a little humor make sure you have a companion set to being your party "gaoler".

Also I was wondering if it was possible to make the ai more intelligent about when to engage or run from the player based on number of parties in the area. Its silly that I can roll up with 300 men and scare off a siege force of 1200 because each party is individually not willing to take me on. The marshal at least should realize that attacking would bring in all the allies near him and crush me. I think I'm gonna see if I can get this worked out and post code if I do.
Sounds great.  Yes, this is definitely an improvement area I'd like to go after eventually.

I've been playing Floris Workshop for about a week now and everything was fine until it started crashing unexpectedly. I accidentally ran FW without Warband Script Extender and ran it with the Steam launcher instead. I realized this when i started getting Opcode errors. The crashing did stop, but I noticed when I tried to play the game in WSE, that the save file had the tag "Incomp. File Ver." which I guess stands for incompatible save. I don't understand why the save would be incompatible, both versions of FW and Native are 1.154, and WSE is 1.153+. Is there a possible fix to retrieve the save game? Thanks in advance.  :grin:

To prevent using the Floris forums for something that is workshop related I'd ask folks use the support tab of the workshop's site.  I have created this issue as a support ticket here.  One benefit is that if you create a ticket and follow it then you'll get an email notification of when it is responded to.

I definitely want to hear of issues, but I don't want to expand into multiple threads since this isn't the workshop's forum.  I'll be merging this into the workshop thread now.

Captain of the Guard

With v0.10 I'll be introducing the next companion advisor position for the mod's diplomacy system.  I've hinted at what the Captain will offer for services before now, but I'd like to elaborate a little here beyond what I can easily squeeze into a change log.  The Captain of the Guard will oversee the following areas of management for a fief:

Garrison Recruitment: Through the captain you'll be able to designate what kinds of recruits you'd like hired to stock your garrison at a city as well as set a target limit.  The advisor's persuasion and renown will have a noticeable influence on this function.  Also your own renown will influence this. (planned)

Garrison Training: The captain will then take these fresh recruits and train them up in a series of "upgrade chains" that you'll be able to designate.  The idea is to make it so you can configure this upgrading option to stop at a specific point in a chain or continue to the highest rank.  The advisor's leadership & training skills will have a noticeable influence on this function.  (planned)

Regional Patrols: Finally the captain can organize patrols for the region.  This is the part I want to showcase as it is nearly ready for implementation.  There isn't flashy presentations as most of the control is done via dialogs.

Regional Patrols

Patrols work automatically on their own using the game's AI, but are configurable by the player.  Some of the options you'll have available:

Base Size: When you setup a patrol you'll pick its base size (modified by your kingdom's "patrol size" % bonus/penalty).  Once set the patrol will attempt to keep its numbers around this level by recruiting new members as needed.  This gain is capped at only 3 per week, however, to prevent abuse of shifting policy settings back and forth.  An initially commissioned patrol will be at its full size.  The larger your patrol the more it will cost.

Level of Training: Also chosen when you setup a patrol is the degree of training your soldiers should have and maintain.  This influences the "tier" of soldiers the patrol begins with and which minimum tier recruits are brought into.  An elite group will not hire recruits for instance while a squad of rookies isn't going to have tougher units within it.  The greater the training, the more the cost.

Patrol costs will be displayed prior to commissioning the patrol and show up on the weekly budget.  The cost for patrols is factored at the same time that the rest of the player's budget is handled.  One important note about costs is that the "troop wages" discount or penalty from your kingdom's policy settings has twice the effect on patrols.  What this means it that an empire focused on military conquest and prefers sealed borders will not only enjoy larger patrols (+50%), but they'll be considerably cheaper (-32%) as well.  That combination works out so that a patrol costs the same as in a kingdom  with a 0% size and cost modifier.

When it comes to controlling patrols you'll also have options for; speaking with them in the field to request that they follow you, return back to patrolling, change where they patrol around and request they turnover prisoners to you.  You may have up to 3 patrols in place per castle or town.  If you try to drag a patrol too far away from their patrolling area, however, they'll reset and return back to their original duty.  This needed to be done to ensure a player with 4 castles doesn't raise a small campaign army of 12 large, elite patrols and leads them around laying siege to places as that isn't their purpose.  Being able to have them follow you lets you drag extra troops over to help with immediate threats to your territory though.

Another point to note is that if you remove a Captain of the Guard from his place or if the originating castle/town is lost then all patrols from that place will be immediately disbanded.  This is done in part to keep things clean, but also to prevent assigning an advisor, setting up a bunch of patrols, removing him and then moving him somewhere else.  While I am sure there are other ways to trick the system folks might come up with, I'd prefer not to keep them that easy and obvious.

My focus with building companion advisors is to provide you with some fairly powerful options while they're in place, but you have to be willing to give up that companion to serve only that role and probably even spend skill points where you may not have to make them more effective.  Their use should be a strategic option.  While you may not need assign such an advisor in any one center, you'll want to use certain ones in certain locations.

Screenshots:

Setting up a new patrol at the Captain of the Guard dialog screen.
Patrol%20setup%20%28small%29.jpg

Receiving a report on the status of a patrol for Dhirim.
Patrol%20report.JPG

Disbanding a patrol.
disbanding%20a%20patrol.JPG

Speaking to a patrol in the field.
patrol%20captain%20dialog.JPG

One last thing I'd like to add is a thanks to tehGanker who's save games (for bug fixing purposes) served as the testing ground for developing the patrol system as I didn't have any at that point for this current save version.  I'm holding off on releasing v0.10 until I have finished the recruitment & upgrading systems as well which should be easier than the patrol one was.  As there are no current "game killing" bugs reported for v0.09 I feel like there's time to make sure the advisor is fully setup and polished for release.

Can I ask what the hired mercenary companies are and how I recruit them?

I just got this running and set up WSE and I wanna see what they are like but looking around all I found was the normal companions and the old groups of caravan guards, watchmen, hireblades and so on in the taverns.

mesor said:
Can I ask what the hired mercenary companies are and how I recruit them?
You need to own a castle or town and then speak to your minister.  The minister will have an option to "appoint an advisor" where you can appoint of your companions as the "Castle Steward".  Then the mercenary company will find you as this is one of the "summoned back to your keep" quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom