Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketOfGreen

Grandmaster Knight
Ulm_Austerlitz_Iena_Eylau_Eckmuhl_Essling_Wagram.gif
18_Ligne_1812.gif

18e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne "les Braves"
Napoleon's decree of 1811 entitled only five of the 88 active French line infantry regiments to display seven battle honors on the reverse of their tricolore flags. The 18e Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne was one of the units so honored. As early as the campaign of 1796-97, the 18th Line's stalwart fighting qualities were noticed by the future Emperor of the French. At that time, Napoleon allowed the regiment to place the slogan "Brave 18th, I know you: No enemy can resist you" on their flag. This distinction marked the beginning of an illustrious and tragic regimental history. The 18th Line participated in the encirclement and capitulation of Ulm on 20 October 1805 as a part of Victor Levasseur's brigade in Claude Legrand's 3rd Division, IV Corps d'Armee commanded by Marshal Nicolas Soult. On 2 December the regiment was heavily engaged on the field of Austerlitz. The 18th and 75th Line held the Pheasantry and the north part of the village of Sokolnitz, key to the French right flank, against overwhelming numbers of Russians and Austrians from the Allied Second and Third Columns. In his report, colonel Vautre of the 18th credited his regiment with "piercing the enemy columns three times", seizing five Russian flags and carrying off a like number of cannon. As a result of the 1805 campaign, the 18th Line won its first (Ulm) and second (Austerlitz) battle honors. Ten months later, the 18th Line earned its third battle honor (Jena). Again serving under Levasseur, Legrand and Soult the regiment was engaged on 14 October 1806 as part of the French right flank in the great afternoon attack that shattered Hohenlohe's Prussian army. Prussia did not capitulate, however, because its Russian allies were close at hand. The French were forced to continue the campaign into Poland during the winter of 1806-07.

On the frozen and snowy afternoon of 7 February 1807, the 18th Line approached the village of Preussisch-Eylau at the head of a column pursuing Bennigsen's Russian army. The Russian rearguard made a stand on the Ziegelhof plateau; to confront them the two battalions of the 18th were ordered to the left of the main road. In the face of heavy enemy artillery and musketry fire, the 18th deployed into line and was beginning to put pressure on the Russian infantry when, in the act of changing front to the right, the regiment was suddenly charged on its left flank by the Russian St. Petersburg Dragoons. Taken by surprise and overrun before they were able to form square, the color guard of the 1st battalion allegedly buried their eagle in the snow to prevent its capture. Thrown into disorder by the rout of the 1st battalion, the 2nd batallion tried to rally near its color guard. A desperate combat swirled around the eagle, and a group of Russian dragoons including adjutant Fomine, dragoons Podvorotni, Deriaguine and Erofeiev and trumpeter Logvinov were all involved in its capture.

Writing shortly after the battle, Lieutenant Lacombe of the 2nd battalion deplored the eagle's loss but noted that it was taken only after the color guard were slaughtered and the eagle bearer (porte-aigle) was cut down by "the cossacks". A timely countercharge by the 13th Chasseurs a Cheval saved the 18th from further loss, but the damage was enormous: among its officers, nine were killed and 35 wounded - including the colonel, Ravier, and future colonel, Pelleport. The 18th also lost more than 500 men, including several hundred prisoners. If this were not enough, the "buried eagle" of the 1st battalion was never recovered. The regiment was so badly shaken that it was kept in reserve all day on 8 February, when the Battle of Eylau was fought. The 18th Line had thus won its fourth battlefield honor (Eylau) in a most discouraging manner. However, the Emperor again showed his fondness for the regiment in his 20th Bulletin dated 9 February 1807; he minimized the loss of the regiment's eagles, stating that to blame the 18th would be unfair because it had been placed in an exposed position and was therefore subjected to the "vagaries of war". The Emperor ordered that the 18th be given replacement eagles.

For the 1809 campaign on the Danube, the 18th Line remained attached to Legrand's 3rd Division, IV Corps d'Armee, now commanded by Marshal Andre Massena. General de Brigade Levasseur had been mortally wounded at Eylau, and General de Brigade Francois Ledru des Essarts led the three battalions of the 18th together with three battalions of the 26th Light (legere) Infantry regiment. The strength of these six French battalions was 4,268. Also attached were two battalions of Baden's Graf Hochberg regiment. The 18th merited its fifth battle honor (Eckmuehl) after participating in the defeat of the Austrians on 22 April during the first phase of the campaign. One month later, the 18th Line found itself thrown into the bloody cauldron of Aspern-Essling. At 5:30 PM on 21 May, Ledru's brigade was ordered to retake the key village of Aspern, which had fallen into Austrian hands on the French left. If Aspern were to remain in possession of the enemy, the precarious French bridgehead over the Danube at Lobau Island would be in extreme danger. Thus the safety of the entire army depended on Legrand's division. The 26th Light, supported by the 18th Line and the Graf Hochberg regiment, cleared the village streets and occupied the key positions of church and cemetery. They were then struck by an Austrian attack of six battalions, supported by a further thirteen, spurred on by the Archduke Charles himself. After an hour of intense combat in the broiling heat, Legrand's men were ejected from Aspern. Napoleon ordered its immediate recapture. In a titanic struggle over the course of the next 20 hours, Aspern changed hands many times and was reduced to a heap of rubble. The 18th Line suffered 600 casualties but had earned its sixth battle honor (Essling).

With just 1,574 men, the 18th Line fought at Wagram six weeks later, on 5-6 July 1809. The regiment was once more locked in a fierce combat for Aspern village, and again prevented the Austrians from breaking into the French rear area. For its part in this engagement, the 18th Line was accorded its seventh and final battle honor (Wagram). The summer of 1812 saw the 18th Line proudly carry its newly issued eagle and flag (whose reverse flaunted the seven battle honors) into the vastness of Russia. Attached to Joubert's Brigade, Razout's 11th Division, III Corps d'Armee led by Marshal Michel Ney the four battalions of the 18th fought at Borodino in the center of the French formation, attacking and taking the Bagration Fleches and later Semenovskaya village. It was at Krasnoe on 18 November 1812, during the long retreat out of Russia, that the 18th Line lost its third eagle. Marshal Ney had turned to confront his Russian pursuers. When Kutusov demanded a total surrender, Ney led his troops in a brash frontal attack that ended in failure. According to colonel Pelleport, the 18th was virtually destroyed in this combat. By Pelleport's express order, the eagle was placed at the head of the regiment. While other units sought to hide their eagles by dismantling them or hurrying them to the rear, the men of the 18th defended their honor. 600 of them became casualties, with 350 dead. Pelleport's justification was that the eagles should be proudly carried as symbols of the liberty they represented, not hidden away. The eagle and flag of the 18th Line were captured by under-lieutenants Koratcharov and Bolchwing and uhlan Dartchenko of the 2nd squadron, the Russian Guard Uhlans. The captors were each awarded the Cross of St. George for this exploit.

A new regiment was formed around the cadre of the 18th Line for the 1813 campaign in Germany. The regiment served under General de Brigade Bronikowsky in Vial's 6th Division (Legrand having been seriously wounded crossing the Beresina in late November 1812), II Corps d'Armee under Marshal Claude Victor-Perrin, known as Victor. The 18th Line had requested a replacement eagle for the one lost at Krasnoe, and Napoleon approved the request in June 1813. The 18th Line fought at Dresden in August and Leipzig in October. Still under Victor, the 18th Line fought in the ensuing campaign in France and was present at La Rothiere on 1 February 1814. It is not known if the final replacement eagle for the 18e Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne ever arrived.

"Brave 18e, devant toi l'ennemi ne tient pas!"
This is a quick little retexture I decided to do in about 15 or 20 minutes - the only changes being the number on the shako plate, the regiment number on the flag and the battle honours of the regiment too. I have uploaded screenshots, this one was just a quick retexture for anyone interested in the bravest of all French regiments! I also obviously did this because I am currently in the 18e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne!

4AC71FE7F2409C8C576F0D2B94A255C3DF6CFCDB

4912950B69CC9EEA5B9E2D1D4346037D06ED98F0

1B785C790773CDA801E1807E9E41A03021DC31ED

scaled.php

32nd (Cornwall) Regiment of Foot
The 32nd landed in Portugal in 1808, and under the soon to be Duke of Wellington, fought in the battles of Roliça and Vimiero. They fought under Moore in the retreat to Corunna, and on returning to England they were part of the Walcheren expedition in the Netherlands where many were struck down with malaria. After being reinforced they returned to Spain, leading the assault on Salamanca and taking part in all the major conflicts right into France. For the final chapter in Napoleon's history, the 32nd fought at the battle of Quatre Bras, arriving about 2 pm just in time to help halt the French advance. The Cornish regiment were renowned for their bloodcurdling Death Howl before attacking. Two days later at Waterloo the 32nd were stationed opposite the French main attacks, stoically standing their ground before attacking Napoleon's assaulting troops. There were 647 men of all ranks at the start of 16th June 1815, and at the end of the 2 days there were only 131 men left standing; they suffered the greatest loss of any regiment on that day.

"They Stood, They Fought, They Died, They Won, They Are Remembered"
After hours of trial and error, I've finally finished the texturing of the 32nd. It's probably my favourite British regiment, due to me being from Cornwall, and as a result I decided to retexture it. I have now actually finished basically everything that I can do without having to edit the coding too much (such as adding in another shako for the officer, for now the officer will have to stick with the ranker shako until I can figure out how to fix it). Anyway, here's the download link for anyone that wants to use the texture. It is a simple retexture of the unit. The installation is very simple, should be self explanatory - put the files from each folder into the folder it is named in the NW folder. There is one issue with this and that is that I had to edit the 5th KGL shako plate - they share it. I'll try to get around to fixing it at some point.

Credit where credit is due, though, to Hinkel who helped me greatly. If it weren't for him I wouldn't be past retexturing the equipment, so a big thanks to him!

6C8B1249D5C3B56FAC5546D53E6438CB2EBC88BC

FFF3180F0F19662E7E0BCA73AE505BC471C6CE32

95647EFC26CE9E2503E1E71C3BB2377C77EF4E09

B54817D370D3B0B6B164BE000482E3D2869510FE

BDE8049B75713448E25FAE304CA84D615DAA8379

1E682C1826DB53023C792FE7E2C8788716BC23B8

6E9A1C34BF0EB2BDB6BC55F423156C706529583A

2427DF19CDBD05BA5ADC6E033A4990F0A6494B83

76083E8E152E574D176B1D1CEDC03D4A814A7904

71st+regt.+flag.bmp
71st+kings+flag.bmp

71st (Highland) Regiment of Foot
The 1st Battalion left Britain for the Cape of Good Hope in 1806 where they were involved in minor actions. In June 1806 they were shipped to South America where they were involved in the disastrous expedition against Buenos Aires by Sir Home Popham. The city was actually captured but later the inhabitants rose against the small British force and took them prisoner. The 1st/71st was one of the battalions captured. Two battalion flags or Regimental Colours were also captured. On the 21st. of April 1808 the regiment received new colours instead of those they had surrendered at Buenos Aires. The colours were presented by General Floyd, a veteran officer. After reforming the battalion they sailed in 1808 for Portugal where they took part in General Moore's advance into Spain and disastrous retreat out of Spain which ended with Moore's victory at Corunna. Upon leaving Spain the battalion was sent in 1809 on the Walcheren Campaign. In 1810 the battalion was back in Iberia. They fought all the way through the Peninsular War, in Vitoria battle they where to hold the extreme right of the line and where ambushed at the anfitheatre and masacred by two french regiments, 40 surrendered and arround 200 where dead or wounded. Also were at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 as part of the 3rd Brigade in Maj.General Sir Henry Clinton's 2nd Division. The 1st/71st lost 16 officers and 171 men killed and wounded at Waterloo.

"Their conduct was so laudable and exemplary as to gain the affections of the inhabitants, between whom and the soldiers the greatest cordiality prevailed."
I've always been interested in the 71st highlanders, they're one of the more unique and famous units, particularly as highland light infantry. Also, because there were some requests, I thought I'd take it upon myself to do this one. I had to edit quite a lot of files for this (including the UV mapping on the model so ignore the .obj file in the zip, don't put that in the NW folder). Anyway, hopefully there are no bugs/errors, it works fine for me.

E3EDD4EF4D1094CBEA1396ED8BBE1F9E309F7FC1

250D1353300A258C0E938246F3301EE0F777E4A0

5A7F0AACBBD3759E89C3B3C0162D29056A977F77

DC4FB7E57D20712ABB7D88A5EFCA8D736C7D92B2

081E0A3F55ECA41A0A61121D06E0AA4F27912FC7

8F589E3E5502687EEA80511C8E232108B996EDB0

8F589E3E5502687EEA80511C8E232108B996EDB0

BBAD0C7D054201DC61987778366C3EADDB310739

438C08B4B20EBBAE713E3582690EDC4579F1F930

95961D35ADE524C3EAC86A40B43E449F1DA1B2E8

You can't use any of these textures together, at the moment it's one or the other, unfortunately.

I'm sure Colonel Lance of the 32nd will love this. I like it myself, looks great. Well done. :wink:

Colonel Lance said:
0_0 Gwyrdh I F**KING LOVE THE MOTHERF**KING **** OUT OF YOU RIGHT NOW AND SO WILL MY REGIMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.O Thank you? I hope you like the skins! :grin:

Colonel Lance said:
The 32nd was first founded as a regiment of marines would it be possible for you to make a british marine texture?

Errmm... that'd be a lot more difficult and would require new models too. I might give it a try if I can find someone to make the models.

Looks great!

If you would like to get a more used and dirt look on your uniforms (they look more realistic when they are used), I can help you too :wink:

Hinkel84 said:
Looks great!

I you would like to get a more used and dirt look on your uniforms (they look more realistic when they are used), I can help you too :wink:

Thanks a bunch, may consider that. :razz:

I myself don't rly play as the 32, so I can't really see the difference with the original one!
Maybe you should add the old pictures as well, so ppl can really see the difference?
P.S. Looking at the first few results, I'm sure you did a great job :grin:

Maroon said:
I myself don't rly play as the 32, so I can't really see the difference with the original one!
Maybe you should add the old pictures as well, so ppl can really see the difference?
P.S. Looking at the first few results, I'm sure you did a great job :grin:

I think that's one of the main reasons I turned it into the 32nd - it was my least favourite unit to play (probably in the game, not just for Britain). It's just so standard and boring, I thought I'd make it a bit more interesting. Though it was one of the only Line units using the stovepipe in this mod (and in the British army by 1815) I still prefered the Belgic, so I decided to edit the file. To me it makes the unit more interesting and fun to play.

3.jpg

That's the original troop tree, the original 33rd is top left.

Great textures! I've got some for the 27th (not as good as these, I fear), i was wondering could you tell me how you replace the Stovepipe shako with the Belgic one?

Londnred said:
Great textures! I've got some for the 27th (not as good as these, I fear), i was wondering could you tell me how you replace the Stovepipe shako with the Belgic one?

No problem, you need openBRF or BRFEdit. All you need to do is copy a Belgic shako resource (including all .lods) and rename is 33_stovepipe. Easy peasy. Problem is the shako plate will be that of the one you copy, so you'll need to edit the one you've copied (such as I did it for the 5th KGL). When I get around to it I will create a new texture for it so the 5th KGL shako plate is back to the original. This is a temp fix for me. But it's very simple to do.

Gwyrdh said:
Londnred said:

No problem, you need openBRF or BRFEdit. All you need to do is copy a Belgic shako resource (including all .lods) and rename is 33_stovepipe. Easy peasy. Problem is the shako plate will be that of the one you copy, so you'll need to edit the one you've copied (such as I did it for the 5th KGL). When I get around to it I will create a new texture for it so the 5th KGL shako plate is back to the original. This is a temp fix for me. But it's very simple to do.

I'll get to that right away, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom