The Official Art thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Vieira said:
PoisonCourtesan said:
It does not require any real skill.
I don't mean to sound like an douche, but because something does not require any real skill does not disqualify it from being art.
Why would that sound like a douche thing to say? It sounds wrong though, art requires a lot of things. Skill, labour, perception, the ability to protray a message or emotion etc. That requires time and dedication. Endless hours in front of a desk honing your skills and presentations. Alternatively everything is art, from the labour of a worker to a chef or whatever.

Antonis said:
I had an art teacher who laughed when a student mentioned Bob Ross as a skilled artist. I can understand why too. 5 minutes of sketching and redoing similar environments over and over again for tv does not make it art. I just find them lacking.

Tablet pleb.
arrogantezaksmiley.gif

PoisonCourtesan said:
I had an art teacher who laughed when a student mentioned Bob Ross as a skilled artist. I can understand why too. 5 minutes of sketching and redoing similar environments over and over again for tv does not make it art. I just find them lacking.

Yet, Bob Ross is ten times more talented than me, so thanks, I guess.  :razz:
I didn't mean that he is the best artist, he stole B.Alexander's style, as a matter of fact. But, as it happens, I just made a joke about his looks and habits. :razz:
You don't have to see arguements everywhere.

Alright you lot, put your paintbrushes away and stand down.

This isn't the place to debate what is and is not art. If you have doubts about whether something belongs here, ask a moderator and we'll give you a definitive answer.

Now, this might not be a "carebear" forum, but it's a tolerant forum. You're all entitled to have opinions; you are not entitled to be dicks about having opinions, nor are you entitled to insult people just because their interpretation of "art" differs from your own.

To sum up: Post art. Don't be dicks. Have fun.

PoisonCourtesan said:
Vieira said:
PoisonCourtesan said:
It does not require any real skill.
I don't mean to sound like an douche, but because something does not require any real skill does not disqualify it from being art.
Why would that sound like a douche thing to say? It sounds wrong though, art requires a lot of things. Skill, labour, perception, the ability to protray a message or emotion etc. That requires time and dedication. Endless hours in front of a desk honing your skills and presentations. Alternatively everything is art, from the labour of a worker to a chef or whatever.

I would say everything could be art, but just in different forms. I guess it depends on the type of art. A high level chef, with michelin stars and such, could easily be labelled an artist and some courses could easily be labelled works of art, especially from a composition point of view.

The things you mentioned that art requires. Is that required from the artist or from the work?

And does the ability to portray a message or emotion come from the artist, the work, or the viewer? Is it a work of art if the intended message is different from the evoked message in the viewer?

In-post Edit: ohai llandy

Vieira said:
A high level chef, with michelin stars and such, could easily be labelled an artist and some courses could easily be labelled works of art, especially from a composition point of view.

Sometimes I make smiley faces on my plate out of my fried eggs and mushrooms. I am like the Van Gogh of food art.

I can't play the guitar and I'm not so good at peeing standing up. But those aren't really art-related and don't have a place in this thread.

Tancred_de_Houdan said:
pan_art_by_ryanryzzo-d5sbx5e.jpg

Dude, what you did to your omlette/pancake/tortilla/thing... that is just wrong.

Also, it looks like somebody's been eating your desk. Are you really that hungry?

Eh, fine I'll post something to get this back on topic.

A quick study.

lgmRTesmJ95NfDFXOFgcoolhhkHH6T2FEFbROSVIvxU=w1050-h1450-no

Different recent pieces.

2014.09.09-2.jpg

2014.09.12-2.jpg

2014.09.21-1.jpg

2 oldies.

14733261475_04266f1255_o.jpg

ViHjJHwlz2kX-s8Dod5NGmSts2EOKoiYpvLZ4dm9_UY=w1050-h1450-no

Back
Top Bottom