NW Completed NW International Linebattle Championships "ILC" [Canceld]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Furrnox said:
Added a poll for point blanking !

Poll is a stupid idea. The result may not be the one which is in the best interests of the event.

Firing in the charge is a poor tactic for competitive linebattles or even just battles in general. It promotes constant charging and discourages tactical play. Firing in the charge lessens the skill involved in melee.

I don't like the poll either because I don't believe it's for anyone in the community to decide and also because Hekko's given a strong overview of all the scenarios and shown that defending and shooting is advantageous regardless of firing in the charge ceteris paribus, and merely that allowing firing in the charge provides a lesser absolute difference, thereby making decent melee possible

Lowlander said:
Furrnox said:
Added a poll for point blanking !

Poll is a stupid idea. The result may not be the one which is in the best interests of the event.

Firing in the charge is a poor tactic for competitive linebattles or even just battles in general. It promotes constant charging and discourages tactical play. Firing in the charge lessens the skill involved in melee.

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. We added a poll so we can know what people think about shooting in charges. If there's a majority that want it implement it we might do so because this is a community event after all :p.

The Championship will be played like The Champions League (Soccer/Football). Meaning we will have a Qualifying stage, a group stage and a knockout stage.
The tournament will be played like a regular 1v1 regiment linebattle. You and the regiment you face agree on how many people you may bring on the battlefield.
The championship will be played during 8 weeks (3 weeks Qualifying stage, Group stage 4 weeks and Knockout stage will be played during 1 weekend).
The europeans and the americans will be playing in seprate qualification stages and group stages. Americans and europeans will meet up in the knockout stage.

Why do all tournaments insist on being so damn messy. Just specify a number(12-20, it could be anything) and specify a date, every thursday for example. Then regiments bring 12 people, on a thursday and fight.

Tournaments like this need to be run with an Iron fist. Theres no room for leeway or allowing the participants make decisions for themselves because the participants are generally dicks.It needs to be your way or no way, and strict.

Well Vorlen we are stil just in the experimental/sign up stage much can stil happen but we want as many regiments as possible to be able to attend. And we have had many complains about not being strict enough we will look into that and see if we can't make everyone happy.

HarbingerOfDoom said:
I'd say, if two regiments can't agree on a ruleset, play 5 rounds with each ruleset.

Gonna get a bit complicated if you're going to do 5 rounds on each side of map too.

Regiment name - 10th Prussian Infantry
Tag - UFC_10te
Contact person - Fireheart
Server - yes
Region - NA/EU

HarbingerOfDoom said:
How is it complicated?

Well, in order for it to be fair both teams should be allowed to use their rulesets on both parts of the map. You'd have to do 2 rounds one ruleset, 3 rounds the other ruleset for the first 5 rounds, and then you'd swap sides and do 3 rounds one ruleset and 2 rounds the other, and to be honest that's just a hassle. Having 1 ruleset is better.

HarbingerOfDoom said:
Evanovic said:
HarbingerOfDoom said:
Then play five rounds on each side = balance.

Fair enough, but if the map is constructed in such a way that the team on the 'better' part of the map is going to have a considerable firing advantage then you're almost taking melee out of the equation altogether. I hope there are some special efforts made in order to make terrain used balanced.

In my own preference though having the rule 'no reloading out of line' instead is going to give a more fun mix of firing tactics and melee.
Well, usually the organisers cycle until they found a map that isn't too hilly as to not make it too campy. Most our linebattles have been with the no firing in the charge rule, and nearly all rounds (if not all) in all the linebattles ended with melee. So it's certainly not taken out of the equation. It adds a layer of tactical play, instead of just "spread out, strafe as much as possible and pointblank them in the face".
This, is the turth. :wink:

edit:
Just looked at the poll and oh dear, damn nubs. O:
Why not just put it on team deathmatch and see who reaches those 50 kills first :/
Shooting out of formation is supposed to be enabled only because of cav, skirmishers etc.
but in a line vs line it is seriously stupid.

We have decided to disallow shooting while charging, you're only allowed to fire while in line. We haven't updated the thread yet, because we're still making/defining other rules and we wish to update the thread when those are finished :smile: .

Regiment name: 7thUnvanquished
Tag: UFC_7th_UV
Contact person:[CFBC]Kia936
Server:yes
Region:Mainly NA

I am deeply saddened by the decision to not allow firing on the charge. As I illustrated in my previous post shooting on the charge is an integral part of making melee viable as a way to win a linebattle, and by dis-allowing it you are essentially turning it into a shooting event, and due the random nature of shooting it's almost a toin-tossing contest under the ruleset.

The idea of adding a ruleset is to keep things, fair as well as make the event more interesting that just unorganized play. I find that draconian rule fails to do either, it stacks the deck heavily in favour of people who are good at shooting and bad at melee, furthermore by making it shooting only you take out the whole adrenaline pumping melee aspect out of the game so on that front the championship is less fun. Since this intends to be a competitive championship the lack of fairness impossed by this rule will seriously harm the regiments that favour melee and as such this is de facto a tournament for shooting not linebattles.

What other similar rules are going to be introduced? Forced double lines? Forced walking? Melee in formation? Only volley fire? No reverse sloping?

Instead of adding draconian rules into the tournmanet in order to artificially make regiments that are unable to melee be able to compete one should make a different dressage event where referees judge the speed, prettyness and execution of firing drills and manouvres of regiments. And as an effect of these destructive rules out of competitive play.

The bottomline is: With pointblanking regiments have to be more well rounded in order to be able to win, which certainly should be desirable in a competitive event. If you allow this rule to stand you're making biathlon into cross-country skiing.

Hekko said:
I am deeply saddened by the decision to not allow firing on the charge. As I illustrated in my previous post shooting on the charge is an integral part of making melee viable as a way to win a linebattle, and by dis-allowing it you are essentially turning it into a shooting event, and due the random nature of shooting it's almost a toin-tossing contest under the ruleset.

The idea of adding a ruleset is to keep things, fair as well as make the event more interesting that just unorganized play. I find that draconian rule fails to do either, it stacks the deck heavily in favour of people who are good at shooting and bad at melee, furthermore by making it shooting only you take out the whole adrenaline pumping melee aspect out of the game so on that front the championship is less fun. Since this intends to be a competitive championship the lack of fairness impossed by this rule will seriously harm the regiments that favour melee and as such this is de facto a tournament for shooting not linebattles.

What other similar rules are going to be introduced? Forced double lines? Forced walking? Melee in formation? Only volley fire? No reverse sloping?

Instead of adding draconian rules into the tournmanet in order to artificially make regiments that are unable to melee be able to compete one should make a different dressage event where referees judge the speed, prettyness and execution of firing drills and manouvres of regiments. And as an effect of these destructive rules out of competitive play.

The bottomline is: With pointblanking regiments have to be more well rounded in order to be able to win, which certainly should be desirable in a competitive event. If you allow this rule to stand you're making biathlon into cross-country skiing.

Nope. If a regiment needs to fire when charging in to melee then they are not really a good 'melee' regiment.

Lowlander said:
Nope. All you do is whine, give it a rest for a while. If a regiment needs to fire when charging in to melee then they are not really a good 'melee' regiment.

Did you read my previous post detailing why shooting as an overall strategy still is better even if shooting on the charge is allowed. One has to be be able to shoot on the charge in order to stop the static part from reloading, or you are kept in a perpetual state of strafing with the camper racking up shooting kills galore. Being good in melee does not make you anymore bulletproof than a random pubbie on the battle server thus stopping the camper from reloading is absolutely essential for melee to even commence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom