Author Topic: NW International Linebattle Championships "ILC" [Canceld]  (Read 3870 times)

Furrnox

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • Skype - furrnox
    • Steam - furrnox
    • YouTube - Furrnox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Furrnox
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
NW International Linebattle Championships "ILC" [Canceld]
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »

International Linebattle Championships

The 3te is hosting International Linebattle Championships (ILC).

Any regiments are allowed to join (European and American).

The Championship will be played like The Champions League (Soccer/Football). Meaning we will have a Qualifying stage (canceld), a group stage and a knockout stage.
The tournament will be played like a regular 1v1 regiment linebattle.
The championship will be played during 5 weeks  (Group stage 4 weeks and Knockout stage will be played during 1 weekend).
The europeans and the americans will be playing in seperate group stages (If enough teams).
Americans and europeans will meet up in the knockout stage.

Matches Info!
Matches during the group stage will be played weekly.
The regiments will decide dates and times with the regiment there facing (Must be played with in the week) .
If the regiments can't come to an agrement a referee must step in and help out.
You and the regiment you face must also agree on how many people you may bring to battle.
All matches will be played best out of 10 rounds each round is 15min.
Matches will be played best out of 10 so there is a chance for a draw if both matches in the knockout stage are draws then a finale round will be played to determine who advances to the next round.
The gamemode will be battle of course.

Group Stage: 2 matches [1 home 1 away] versus everyone in the group.
a win = 2 points
draw = 1 point
loss = 0 points

Rules!
1. Basic linebattle rules.
 - No shooting out of formation. Not even when charging.
 - No officer aiming (Your allowed to shoot the officer if the other regiment is charging you).
 - No ramboing.
 - You must reform after every volley taken.
 - No kneeling (if your not in a double line or square formation).
 - No sappers.
 - If there's only 3 or less people alive in a line you must charge in.
2. Only lineinfantry is allowed.
3. No buffs will be used (Might be implemented if enough requests).
4. A minimum of 10 people attending to all matches.
5. A regiment may not outnumber the regiment it faces during a match.
6. A referee must atend to all matches so no cheating can occur.
7. Map change every 3 rounds last map change being 4 rounds if the match lasts for 10 rounds.
7.5. The map must be approved by the referee.
8. Allowed formations in the tournament.
 - Single line.
 - Double line.
 - Square formation.
 - You may also use 2 lines if you have above 40players on your team.
9. Respect other participants.
10. You may only spectate your own teamembers (This has to be set by the server admin).
11. Everyone that attends must wear there regiments tags or they will get kicked from the server.

[Still incomplete]

If you brake any of these rules it might get you and your regiment disqualified.

The current referees: Furrnox, Mr_Eazysteel, Redbush and Malakith (More referees will be appointed later).

Follow this Form to join!
(click to show/hide)

Form Explanation!
(click to show/hide)

The signups will end at 30th of June.

Finally if you have any questions or suggestions about the tournament please contact me or Mr_Eazysteel on steam or get on our regiments teamspeak ip: eurots6.gameservers.com:9134

Sorry for my terrible english at occasions. But i hope it wont stop you guys fom signing up!

Hope to see you on the Battlefield!
/Furrnox

P.S If anyone wants to make us some fancy pictures that would be much appriciated.
P.S.S.: Most matches will be recorded/commentated.

Attending Regiments
(click to show/hide)

Brackets!
Group A
(click to show/hide)
Group B
(click to show/hide)
Group C
(click to show/hide)
Group D
(click to show/hide)

Matches!
Matches start this sunday (08/07)
You must have battled your opponent by Next sunday (15/07)

Matches for the week of 08/07 - 15/07
Group A
(click to show/hide)
Group B
(click to show/hide)
Group C
(click to show/hide)
Group D
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:04:14 PM by Furrnox »

Evanovic

• Knight at Arms
  • Tournament Hoster
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Evanovic
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
Re: NW International Linebattle Championships "ILC"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »
Quite a lot of regiments, probably mostly European ones, play rules that allow firing 1 shot during the  charge, so as to not favour camping lines too much. Any thoughts about having that rule?

Another thing is the problem of Officers getting shot. Is a regiment going to be penalised no matter what the circumstances of an Officer being shot are? Imagine if it's a random shot from an extremely long distance that happens to hit an Officer (bound to happen at least once in this tournament), does that constitute as a rule-break? Also, couldn't regiments exploit this rule, e.g. running their column directly towards an enemy line thereby making it impossible to avoid shooting the officer?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:48:28 AM by Evanovic »

HarbingerOfDoom

• Captain and CO of Guard Company
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:03 AM »
Quite a lot of regiments, probably mostly European ones, play rules that allow firing 1 shot during the charge, so as to not favour camping lines too much. Any thoughts about having that rule?
And shooting out of formation promotes chargebattles.

Evanovic

• Knight at Arms
  • Tournament Hoster
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:49:41 AM »
Quite a lot of regiments, probably mostly European ones, play rules that allow firing 1 shot during the charge, so as to not favour camping lines too much. Any thoughts about having that rule?
And no shooting out of formation promotes chargebattles.

Charging already often allows your opponents to get more shots off at your line before you engage in melee, therefore meaning you engage with less numbers. I would say that allowing firing in the charge merely makes decent melee possible in linebattles, as it reduces the relative losses for the charging team slightly than it would be without.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:51:57 AM by Evanovic »

HarbingerOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:51:13 AM »
And no shooting out of formation promotes chargebattles.

Charging already often allows your opponents to get more shots off at your line before you engage in melee. I would say that allowing firing in the charge merely makes decent melee possible in linebattles.
Well, if you charge and your enemy can get some shots off at you, then you have made a tactical error.

Evanovic

• Knight at Arms
  • Tournament Hoster
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:57:41 AM »
Well, if you charge and your enemy can get some shots off at you, then you have made a tactical error.

Firing in the charge actually makes terrain take less of a stranglehold on the result of the linebattle than it should. There is skill in using terrain, but the randomly generated map is hardly ever balanced.

HarbingerOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »

It actually makes terrain take less of a stranglehold on the result of the linebattle than it should. There is skill in using terrain, but the randomly generated map is hardly ever balanced.
Then play five rounds on each side = balance.

Evanovic

• Knight at Arms
  • Tournament Hoster
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:13 AM »

Fair enough, but if the map is constructed in such a way that the team on the 'better' part of the map is going to have a considerable firing advantage then you're almost taking melee out of the equation altogether. I hope there are some special efforts made in order to make terrain used balanced.

In my own preference though having the rule 'no reloading out of line' instead is going to give a more fun mix of firing tactics and melee.

HarbingerOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:07:58 AM »

Fair enough, but if the map is constructed in such a way that the team on the 'better' part of the map is going to have a considerable firing advantage then you're almost taking melee out of the equation altogether. I hope there are some special efforts made in order to make terrain used balanced.

In my own preference though having the rule 'no reloading out of line' instead is going to give a more fun mix of firing tactics and melee.
Well, usually the organisers cycle until they found a map that isn't too hilly as to not make it too campy. Most our linebattles have been with the no firing in the charge rule, and nearly all rounds (if not all) in all the linebattles ended with melee. So it's certainly not taken out of the equation. It adds a layer of tactical play, instead of just "spread out, strafe as much as possible and pointblank them in the face".

Evanovic

• Knight at Arms
  • Tournament Hoster
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 02:28:10 AM »
Most our linebattles have been with the no firing in the charge rule, and nearly all rounds (if not all) in all the linebattles ended with melee. So it's certainly not taken out of the equation. It adds a layer of tactical play, instead of just "spread out, strafe as much as possible and pointblank them in the face".

I would say that melee tactics should be just as hard-earned and rewardable as firing tactics, but I don't believe that limiting firing to lines is conducive to competitive melee in linebattles most of the time. You said that most of your linebattles ended in melee, but how often was the melee a relatively equally-fought affair? Especially with big lines is it hard to engage in melee before the defending team has got a considerable amount of shots fired at you. Allowing the attacking team to fire off at least 1 round of bullets somewhat compensates for that.

At the end of the day the best regiments are still going to be the ones who excell in both firing and melee proficiency, it's just my opinion that melee becomes a bit more of an initiative-based move than simply always a default conclusion to matches.

HarbingerOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:37:37 AM »
Most our linebattles have been with the no firing in the charge rule, and nearly all rounds (if not all) in all the linebattles ended with melee. So it's certainly not taken out of the equation. It adds a layer of tactical play, instead of just "spread out, strafe as much as possible and pointblank them in the face".

I would say that melee tactics should be just as hard-earned and rewardable as firing tactics, but I don't believe that limiting firing to lines is conducive to competitive melee in linebattles most of the time. You said that most of your linebattles ended in melee, but how often was the melee a relatively equally-fought affair? Especially with big lines is it hard to engage in melee before the defending team has got a considerable amount of shots fired at you. Allowing the attacking team to fire off at least 1 round of bullets somewhat compensates for that.

At the end of the day the best regiments are still going to be the ones who excell in both firing and melee proficiency, it's just my opinion that melee becomes a bit more of an initiative-based move than simply always a default conclusion to matches.
Well, it's the point of shooting to kill as many enemies as possible before engaging into melee. Melee in a linebattle usually isn't and shouldn't have to be equal, that's what shooting is for. By allowing you to shoot in the charge, you're pretty much just throwing away the advantage that a good tactical shooting regiment has. 

You can be a melee and charge oriented clan, you just have to be smart about getting close to your enemy, fire of a volley and going in for the melee. It's perfectly possible. Just be tactical. Don't charge from 100 meters away, of course your regiment is going to take a lot of casualties.

And it's actually a lot easier to execute said melee/charge tactics if you and your enemy has a big line, since it takes a long time for them to form up and shoot, thus you can very easily flank around without them being able to fire.

T.Irish

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: [69e]Col_T.Irish
  • NW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »
I have to Agree with Harbringer, Allowing firing in a charge promotes a melee match, dis allowing it should help promote more of a linebattle atmosphere, cause lets be honest there are gonna be clans that wont even lineup and exchange volleys most rounds, they will just charge in because its what their good at, instead of having a good LB and mixing it up a little bit.
I know Regiments are gonna say "Melee is what were good at" etc, its a linebattle it shouldn't result in a charge at the start of every round, we played a regiment a while ago, their shooting was amazing and we were superior at melee, but we weren't absolute dickheads and charged everyround, instead we only charged when we needed to after exchanging volleys close to each another, ive a feeling the Championship wont run like this so i wont be applying my regiment, all the same best of luck with it.

SvenssonHD

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Svensson
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
Allowing firing in a charge promotes a melee match

Some regiments prefers melee, some does not. Furthermore I agree with Harbinger on having 5 rounds with no shooting on the charge, and 5 rounds with shooting on the charge would be for the fair cause.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:30:07 AM by SvenssonHD »

Evanovic

• Knight at Arms
  • Tournament Hoster
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
I have to Agree with Harbringer, Allowing firing in a charge promotes a melee match, dis allowing it should help promote more of a linebattle atmosphere, cause lets be honest there are gonna be clans that wont even lineup and exchange volleys most rounds, they will just charge in because its what their good at, instead of having a good LB and mixing it up a little bit.
I know Regiments are gonna say "Melee is what were good at" etc, its a linebattle it shouldn't result in a charge at the start of every round, we played a regiment a while ago, their shooting was amazing and we were superior at melee, but we weren't absolute dickheads and charged everyround, instead we only charged when we needed to after exchanging volleys close to each another, ive a feeling the Championship wont run like this so i wont be applying my regiment, all the same best of luck with it.

Charging early and having competitive melee should be a valid outcome for the battle, as not only was it historical (Russians went by 'The Bullet is foolish, the Bayonet wise' and charged often for example, or the French Old Guard renowned in all forms of combat), but also it works well with the warband-engine (melee skill has always been a big part of the game).

If a melee regiment sees a particularly large inadequacy in melee that the other team has, then they should by all means be able to punish them for it. Charging regardless of 'shooting on the charge' puts you at a disadvantage because the enemy can get more shots off at you and more accurate ones (because they have time to aim instead of strafing around), so the charging regiment still has to be very sure that they can pull an early charge off without too many casualties.

HarbingerOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »

Charging early and having competitive melee should be a valid outcome for the battle, as not only was it historical (Russians went by 'The Bullet is foolish, the Bayonet wise' and charged often for example, or the French Old Guard renowned in all forms of combat), but also it works well with the warband-engine (melee skill has always been a big part of the game).

If a melee regiment sees a particularly large inadequacy in melee that the other team has, then they should by all means be able to punish them for it. Charging regardless of 'shooting on the charge' puts you at a disadvantage because the enemy can get more shots off at you and more accurate ones (because they have time to aim instead of strafing around), so the charging regiment still has to be very sure that they can pull an early charge off without too many casualties.
That's not really true. If you charge with bullets and the enemy is standing in a line, you can be sure the line will take the heavier beating since they're standing still while the charging force can strafe and dodge all they want.

And as I said before, it's still viable to want to use charge tactics, you just need to be tactical about closing in.