Where can I buy the "Hand and half sword"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Warchild said:
Try in all catholic factions. Never seen it elsewhere. But it's really a rare item.
It has an abundance of 2, while for instance XIIIA sword has 80.

For my game I tweaked this so I can find it more often.

Can you teach me to do that man?  :smile:

I was mistaken about the "Hand and a Half" I was thinking of your typical Bastard Sword which is one or two handed... they are sold all over western Europe but come to think of it I have not seen an actual One and a Half sword....

xretalhadorx said:
Warchild said:
Try in all catholic factions. Never seen it elsewhere. But it's really a rare item.

For my game I tweaked this so I can find it more often.

Can you teach me to do that man?  :smile:

Download Morgh's M&B Editor, launch it and set your module path.

Then open the Item Editor, find your item in the list on the left (bastard sword has ID 701 :razz:), and modify what you want on the right. (abundance in your case)

Update item, save changes, done.

If you start a new game, fine. If not, you'll have to wait for changes to take effect. I had to wait 100 IG days to start finding bastard swords regularly. :mrgreen:

P.S. : Morgh's tool has several utilities, and there's a good tutorial on his site. :wink:

Eeeeeeh... the stats it already has? :mrgreen:

Are you speaking of the whole stats? Or just of the abundance?
Dmg, speed and stuff are fine, it's powerful enough.

For the abundance, it's up to you.

For instance :
Warchild said:

If you set its abundance to 80, you will see bastard swords as often as you see XIIIA swords.
Determine if you want it just less rare, or common.

I can't understand why do you think that the Hand and half sword is the best in the game? The stats as follow:
Hand and half sword                - Two/one handed - Weight 1.8 - Swing 42c - Speed 93 - Weapon reach - 100.
Even Counter Point Series Type XIIIA Sword can be considered better and can be found in shops as balanced and masterworks-
CPST XIIIA                                - Two/one handed - Weight 1.8 - Swing 44c - Speed 92 - Weapon reach - 105.

There is a many other swords that I consider better than two/one handed . For example:
Balanced Elite Scimitar            -    One handed    - Weight 1.8 - Swing 42c - Speed 100 - Weapon reach - 100 or
Balanced Saracen cavalry Sword - one handed    - Weight 1.8 - Swing 42c - Speed  99 - Weapon reach - 105
The main advantage both is  one handed, means you can use it on horse without damage penalty, as described here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,231208.msg5552695.html#msg5552695
This both swords are much faster than Hand&half sword and you can find it in shops very easy.
All above IMHO, may be I don't know something important about swords?

You're right, it's not the best, but it's the most stylish. :cool:
At some high level, everything is slain in 1 or 2 blows anyway and I use a tempered steel one so it deals 47 dmg on swing.

I also like to fight 2h in melee and when you finish crushing infantry archers begin to shoot again so I can take my shield to protect me and still be able to kill the remaining enemies around me. And I can't take another melee weapon since the 2 other slots are for my bow and quiver.

That's why it's a best choice for me. I could use a Masterwork XIIIA but I prefer the scabbard on back than 2 more little dmg pts.

alekskoles said:
I can't understand why do you think that the Hand and half sword is the best in the game? The stats as follow:
Hand and half sword                - Two/one handed - Weight 1.8 - Swing 42c - Speed 93 - Weapon reach - 100.
Even Counter Point Series Type XIIIA Sword can be considered better and can be found in shops as balanced and masterworks-
CPST XIIIA                                - Two/one handed - Weight 1.8 - Swing 44c - Speed 92 - Weapon reach - 105.

There is a many other swords that I consider better than two/one handed . For example:
Balanced Elite Scimitar            -    One handed    - Weight 1.8 - Swing 42c - Speed 100 - Weapon reach - 100 or
Balanced Saracen cavalry Sword - one handed    - Weight 1.8 - Swing 42c - Speed  99 - Weapon reach - 105
The main advantage both is  one handed, means you can use it on horse without damage penalty, as described here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,231208.msg5552695.html#msg5552695
This both swords are much faster than Hand&half sword and you can find it in shops very easy.
All above IMHO, may be I don't know something important about swords?

Why do you compare a normal longsword with a balanced sword/scimitar?
A balanced IIIa has 95 speed, 105 reach and deals 47c and 28p dmg, compared to the balanced Elite Scimitar which deals 42 dmg and is 5 points faster and has 5 length less. Still I think these longswords are way to slow in comparison to as they were in reality which was fast as lightning, way faster if used with 2-h than a 1-h sword (due to leverage and a different technique) and in this era (IIa/IIIa swords in this mod) they were many times just the same blades as used for a 1-h sword along with a longer grip so that they could be used with 2 hands. But the slowliness of the longswords give them a nice bonus from horseback due to momentum -  slower weapons from horseback, with the right timing, are more devastating than 1-h swords.

oroboros said:
A balanced IIIa has 95 speed, 105 reach and deals 47c and 28p dmg, compared to the balanced Elite Scimitar which deals 42 dmg and is 5 points faster and has 5 length less.
Sorry if I mislead you a little with my comprision. I give to compare two normal bastard swords and then show 2 one handed that I think is better then Hand and half sword which almost can't be found as balanced in shops.
oroboros said:
But the slowliness of the longswords give them a nice bonus from horseback due to momentum -  slower weapons from horseback, with the right timing, are more devastating than 1-h swords.
I should disagree. One man, very respected by me wrote before
oroboros said:
If you use twohander with a shield or from horesback, you get -23.5% damage penalty if that twohander can be used with a shield (ie has onehander animations). If not, the penalty is -15%.
- Both cases above also have some sort of a speed penalty.

--> you'll receive -15% on dmg/speed with 1/2-h weapons (the ones you can wield with a shield)
and I believe this words. So damage by balanced IIIa will be  47c - 15% ~40, lower then 42 by one handed sword/scimitar. And much slower.I had experience to use both types of swords and prefer one handed.

alekskoles said:
I give to compare two normal bastard swords and then show 2 one handed that I think is better then Hand and half sword which almost can't be found as balanced in shops.

XIIIA is pretty common in balanced version. And masterwork version is not that hard to find.

alekskoles said:
So damage by balanced IIIa will be  47c - 15% ~40, lower then 42 by one handed sword/scimitar. And much slower.I had experience to use both types of swords and prefer one handed.

You get a higher bonus from the slowliness/momentum thing than the dmg malus from horseback. It happens often that I deal ~120 dmg when crossing riding knights, and ~85 to those on foot. And since 85 is 10 ironflesh and 30 strenght...

But each player has his fighting style, 1h swords do a pretty good job too. :wink:
And in fact, bastard swords are harder to use in siege, due to their length in melee. I think it's their main disadvantage.

alekskoles said:
oroboros said:
A balanced IIIa has 95 speed, 105 reach and deals 47c and 28p dmg, compared to the balanced Elite Scimitar which deals 42 dmg and is 5 points faster and has 5 length less.
Sorry if I mislead you a little with my comprision. I give to compare two normal bastard swords and then show 2 one handed that I think is better then Hand and half sword which almost can't be found as balanced in shops.
oroboros said:
But the slowliness of the longswords give them a nice bonus from horseback due to momentum -  slower weapons from horseback, with the right timing, are more devastating than 1-h swords.
I should disagree. One man, very respected by me wrote before
oroboros said:
If you use twohander with a shield or from horesback, you get -23.5% damage penalty if that twohander can be used with a shield (ie has onehander animations). If not, the penalty is -15%.
- Both cases above also have some sort of a speed penalty.

--> you'll receive -15% on dmg/speed with 1/2-h weapons (the ones you can wield with a shield)
and I believe this words. So damage by balanced IIIa will be  47c - 15% ~40, lower then 42 by one handed sword/scimitar. And much slower.I had experience to use both types of swords and prefer one handed.

Ok, now you've beaten me with myself, that's unfair :smile:... I thought that you would compare the 2 longswords with the scimitar/Saracen cav sword. Of course you are right that in dmg output the scimitar is better in 1-h mode, and it's way faster in 1-h as well as in 2-h mode than the longswords. The strength of the longsword is it's high dmg if you wield it with 2 hands or if you wield it from horseback as these slow weapons will receive a good dmg bonus from momentum. If you get surrounded you're f*cked up with this thing. I've used all swords in dev1257 very extensively and I always used the longsword almost exclusively with 2-h if on foot (shield only for archers/throwers; and from horseback after lance has become too long) and for close combat situations I have an appropriate 1-h weapon, like the balanced heavy sabre (speed 102, dmg 45cut), knightly sword, czekan, balanced moorish axe, winged/iron mace, balanced 1-h axe_b or, this sounds ridiculous but it looks damn good the way it is carried in the weapons belt, a balanced butchering knife  :grin:

oroboros said:
a balanced butchering knife  :grin:
Do you mean Almogavar Cleaver? Sure it looks like the butchering knife. The stats for normal as follow - Weight 0.8 - Swing 39c/15c - Speed 102 - Weapon reach - 51. It looks like very good in close melee. I supposed to buy one masterwork and test it during siege, but its appearance/form frighten off me.

alekskoles said:
oroboros said:
a balanced butchering knife  :grin:
Do you mean Almogavar Cleaver? Sure it looks like the butchering knife. The stats for normal as follow - Weight 0.8 - Swing 39c/15c - Speed 102 - Weapon reach - 51. It looks like very good in close melee. I supposed to buy one masterwork and test it during siege, but its appearance/form frighten off me.
Warchild said:
And since 85 is 10 ironflesh and 30 strenght...
Excuse me, but I think in this case all the swords in game became the same. Deadly from one hit to every enemy. May be that's why you choose the Hand and half sword.

No, I meant the butchering knife it just looks like a normal, well, butchering knife and you wear it somewhat across your weapons belt on the right side. It looks awesome in combination with a sword carried on the left side. Swing is something like 20 or 25 and thrust is 35 pierce for a balanced butchering knife, length 50 and speed 108 I think it was.

I use the hand and a half swords from power strike 5-6 onwards but only in 2-h mode, default sword for 1-h+shield, because it's too inferior in lower levels if you wield it as a 1-h with shield.

EDIT:
The Cymry archers also wear the butchering knife and a dagger, if you want to look it up ingame on some troops. It also looks awesome, butchering knife+dagger.

EDIT2:
I've looked it up, the butchering knife, it has 25c/30p, length 61, speed 108 - balanced then is 28c/33p, length 61 and speed 111. A pretty good (and cheap) weapon for very close combat.

In regards to the discussion I've been using a Balanced Moorish ax - One handed 1.8 lbs 37 pierce 97 speed and 74 reach. Found it while crusading with the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Works great in almost any situation, even mounted it gets the job done if my lance only killed the horse and not the rider.

Oh and first post btw  :grin: I've stalked these threads for years lol

ha ha ha!  I just started playing this mod again for the 1st time in many months.  I found the hand and a half sword in the 4th city I visited!  Probably won't see it again for 500 days!

Ha ha, yes it happened to me too. I once found a masterwork hand and half sword on day 30 or so. I didn't have the money and I never found it again. :cry: :lol:

Warchild said:
Ha ha, yes it happened to me too. I once found a masterwork hand and half sword on day 30 or so. I didn't have the money and I never found it again. :cry: :lol:

That is one of the very rare occasions when I am tempted to cheat, and sometimes do :razz:, as long as I take the money away later...

Yes, me too. I didn't do this mistake twice. Last week I found my favourite mail coat in masterwork version and I lacked 40000 dinars...
Well, now it's mine. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom