[v4.4 Updated] Archipelago of Yore [MAP]

Meadhall (Un)Capable? {Post as well, poll results will not necessarily dictate outcome}

• Capable (4 cap'able faction points)

Votes: 55 61.8%
  • UnCapable (3 cap'able faction points)

Votes: 34 38.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Another pic of the mainland coming through.

13FE1C58B5951AA4CFB1216D00520AC5C2154EDE

The Bowman said:
I got a better idea, if you haven't done too much progress already.

You could bring on your map the Native world, and make a copy of Suno (as it got pretty much RP potential, by aspect), for example, and near it another copied village. That would definitely work, just like a sandbox Native.

I like this idea, I think the way town are set up in native would be fun for PW.

Legolan said:
The Bowman said:
I got a better idea, if you haven't done too much progress already.

You could bring on your map the Native world, and make a copy of Suno (as it got pretty much RP potential, by aspect), for example, and near it another copied village. That would definitely work, just like a sandbox Native.

I like this idea, I think the way town are set up in native would be fun for PW.

It would.

However.

I lack any kind of personal motivation to do anything of the sort; even when I do "historical" maps or maps based upon works of fiction, I take great liberties- I just can't see myself making a map based off of an already existing Native area.

That being said, it sounds great and I think one of you two- considering you're both veteran mappers- should certainly consider doing it.

I want a satanist cult on top of a fiery vomcano with an assassin's guild at the top and a thieves guild at the bottom with secret cave with icecream.

In all seriousness, remember the eternal enemy. FPS.

Hugues said:
I am looking forward to playing on this map. It's unique and well thought out.

Why thank you! So polite; a rarity in these days.

bobthe8th said:
I want a satanist cult on top of a fiery vomcano with an assassin's guild at the top and a thieves guild at the bottom with secret cave with icecream.

In all seriousness, remember the eternal enemy. FPS.

All too aware; I'll try to work my magic, though :3

Whitestag Meadhall interior (2 screens, 2 of 3 interiors in this building represented):

255D0694C917C09E12D321239A3615D0585DD0F8

BEDD1AC821C6F90F42A21C6F30C765859814D69E

Another mainland pic, this one more bird's eye:

55EFAB0669F88A2048A7D3E13133FE4D170616E9

I was testing your scene "Dominion" earlier in response to players saying wheat fields were bugged (they aren't), and noticed that some of your fields are not adjusted to match the ground angle, with flat bits disappearing into the terrain at a very close angle, causing flickering: based on your last screen shot it appears this scene has the same problem. I also noticed it in Dominion with the white painted lines in the closed off arena box: just move them up from the terrain slightly to solve the z fighting problem, and for the wheat fields, adjust the angle to match the terrain, so all lower edges are embedded in the ground but the main flat parts are above.

Vornne said:
I was testing your scene "Dominion" earlier in response to players saying wheat fields were bugged (they aren't), and noticed that some of your fields are not adjusted to match the ground angle, with flat bits disappearing into the terrain at a very close angle, causing flickering: based on your last screen shot it appears this scene has the same problem. I also noticed it in Dominion with the white painted lines in the closed off arena box: just move them up from the terrain slightly to solve the z fighting problem, and for the wheat fields, adjust the angle to match the terrain, so all lower edges are embedded in the ground but the main flat parts are above.

Thank you; doing this now.

EDIT: I've done this, but at great heights the edges seem to fidget and z fight regardless? I've examined each of them and they're going into the ground all around and no terrain is passing through the flat bit... I guess that's OK to happen and will leave the fields functional?

Azrayel said:
EDIT: I've done this, but at great heights the edges seem to fidget and z fight regardless? I've examined each of them and they're going into the ground all around and no terrain is passing through the flat bit... I guess that's OK to happen and will leave the fields functional?
Z fighting should only happen when mesh faces at very similar angles intersect: the edges of the wheat field are turned down intentionally to avoid this, so you shouldn't get the problem from the outside edges, just the flat parts on top - unless it was placed mostly inside the terrain or on the edge of a ridge having the same angle as the side of the field - just move it across slightly so the faces intersect at a greater angle.

You will also get z fighting if you place two flat wall or ground props adjacent at the same level, overlapping slightly to avoid any gap: most native wall meshes have bevelled (slightly rounded) edges to avoid this, if you don't overlap them by too much (a fix then would be make a small difference in the similar axis - height for ground meshes).

In most game engines, strange flickering can happen at extreme distances from the origin (0,0,0 coordinates) due to floating point precision (large numbers are represented with a set number of significant digits multiplied by an exponent, so less digits are available to represent smaller offsets) but it would seem unlikely to be noticeable in M&B with the largest scene size possible (mainly a problem for things like space sims). I don't see any great heights in your screenshots, so presumably you are referring to some secret area.

I am a bit of a perfectionist with things like this, so probably most people wouldn't really notice - other than it somehow doesn't look like a professional polished game. It will not affect the functionality at all, unless the field is mostly under ground making it hard to hit.

I hope the meadhall has a serve-able counter somewhere, preferably out of the way so it doesn't detract from the idea, unless you mean someone to serve elsewhere and then carry

Boarlady said:
I hope the meadhall has a serve-able counter somewhere, preferably out of the way so it doesn't detract from the idea, unless you mean someone to serve elsewhere and then carry

This, and with plenty of wenches to serve our hearty lads a horn of cold mead after a good day of raiding!

Boarlady said:

I've yet to include pw_props in the interior (except TP doors), but I actually know just the side room where that could be placed (compartment next to Jarl's bedroom).

So it'll be served elsewhere and carried, but I don't see a reason I couldn't tuck them along some of the walls as well... anywho, I don't think it'll make much difference- the Meadhall's faction (assuming they have only the Meadhall) would have to work to get Wine or Ale and t'would be a rare occasion they could celebrate with drink, carried by whoever.

Back
Top Bottom