Graphics and scenes Problems/Feedback/Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

wingcutangel

Veteran
Graphics and scenes Problems/Suggestions

As the general bugs/suggestions thread is getting a bit crowded me and Nimja1 are starting a separate thread devoted to the more visual aspect of the mod.

Scenes

Here is an introduction from Nimja1:

Maybe you see a strange floating rock in a certain village or are somewhere in the middle of the mountains and you're battling on extremely flat ground. Possibly you think certain scenes could be "spruced up" or need more (or even less) detail or foliage. Maybe you feel the reinforcement spawn points in sieges should be moved to a different area. Even if certain Models look out of place or are oddly proportioned, let us know. I want to hear it all, within reason.

The only thing I ask is Bug Reports, even for scenes, remain in the Bug Report section. Oh and also if you find certain things like said floating rock then a screenshot showing where and what would be utmost appreciated.

Before you report anything, regardless of what it is, make sure you're not reposting anything. It would also be a good idea to take a look at the tracker for scenes  as well to see if something has been fixed for a future version.

The tracker: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnG_YU8hXbcFdC02VlZ2WC1KbFBaLTVBSWhlQzJGMnc&pli=1#gid=0

Graphics

As some of you already know I joined the Floris team to help out with various aspects of the mod's graphics.

If you ever come across any graphical bugs/gliches/problems or if you find an asset that really needs to be improved this is the place to write about it.

It will be really helpful if you give me as much info as possible. Stuff like your pc specs, mod version and settings, a screen capture of the problem or the name of the ugly/broken item will all really speed up my work.

From time to time I'll also try to post a teaser of what I'm working on just to keep things more interesting.

Cheers,
Wingcutangel

Hey, having a weird graphics/texture bug with scenes and some items. I am using 2.52, what can I do to fix this?
Thanks for your help guys.  :razz:

lc8NU.jpg

wawdW.jpg

a7QGn.jpg

230Kh.jpg

B3Crm.jpg

YDTbO.jpg

f4YR2.jpg

S8Ah6.jpg

qiH_7.jpg

@Uhtred Ragnarson Thanks for a very well documented post. Unfortunately this is something I am painfully aware of and I can't even figure out why this would happen. The problem is that Dx 7 uses something called a fixed rendering pipeline (as opposed to a programmable one) and we have very little control over it. Worst case scenario is that it's the engine not being able to handle so many different textures and models. In any case I'll keep digging and trying to find some solution to this problem.
Just to be sure which version (basic, gameplay, expanded) are you using?

Also could you tell me what are your average fps on dx7 and dx9 and your system specs? I'm trying to make dx9 playable for as many people as possible.

Just to lighten the mood a little a tiny preview of what's coming in 2.6 graphics-wise. The lighting system is much more natural now without so many flat nonshaded surfaces and nicer contrast. The armor rendering got a complete overhaul with colored speculars and more realistic highlights and all that while keeping the framerate as high as possible. And did I mention moving grass? And this is just the beginning (hopefully :wink: )

Edit: Of course the screens are in a before - now pattern :wink:

wingcutangel said:
@Uhtred Ragnarson Thanks for a very well documented post. Unfortunately this is something I am painfully aware of and I can't even figure out why this would happen. The problem is that Dx 7 uses something called a fixed rendering pipeline (as opposed to a programmable one) and we have very little control over it. Worst case scenario is that it's the engine not being able to handle so many different textures and models. In any case I'll keep digging and trying to find some solution to this problem.
Just to be sure which version (basic, gameplay, expanded) are you using?

Also could you tell me what are your average fps on dx7 and dx9 and your system specs? I'm trying to make dx9 playable for as many people as possible.

Sorry, I did actually search to see if this was already noted in the bugs sections, but I didn't find anything (at least with pics). I am using the "expanded" version.

One graphical bug i noticed with equipment :
color changing depending on distance/position of npc in relation with PC

here are 3 pics at successive distances , notice the I2 Swadian Militia colors changing. It also happens in battles.
mb_warband202012-05-262016-24-12-20.jpg

mb_warband202012-05-262016-24-04-50.jpg

mb_warband202012-05-262016-24-00-09.jpg

posted this a while ago in bugs section, with other pics. I think it's possible to be a hardware rendering problem, though not sure.

Also, another glitch i found during battles (the see-through rocks):
mb_warband202012-04-182017-19-17-02.jpg

mb_warband202012-04-182017-19-07-52.jpg

A few personal screens, that i had sitting around from my testing:

Broken outer terrain in Jelbegi castle (note the gap between map and outer terrain as well as repeated stripes over the outer terrain):
ae46zo.jpg

... well scratch that my documents got wiped by sth. Sigh ... lets have a virus scan. Good thing i had the above in the dropbox.

@Ferodaktyl: The color change bug occurs for a number of armors/helmets and is actually a quick fix. If you happen to catch a screenshot of any other items changing color (apart from faces, those are a separate case) go ahead and post them.

@Uhtred Ragnarson: I don't mind you reposting bugs from another thread here and your post was very informative, unfortunately I don't have a fix for this yet. I'll let you know if that changes.

Duh said:
A few personal screens, that i had sitting around from my testing:

Broken outer terrain in Jelbegi castle (note the gap between map and outer terrain as well as repeated stripes over the outer terrain):
ae46zo.jpg

... well scratch that my documents got wiped by sth. Sigh ... lets have a virus scan. Good thing i had the above in the dropbox.

If I'm not mistaken that a castle from... Umod's I think the name was? The one who did Uhhun. All his work was pretty buggy. Ah well I'll have a look.

Continued from the Plight of Swadia thread.

Feedback on Senuzgda Castle (Swadian castle SW of Dhirim):

The defensive layout is sub-optimal for several reasons.

1.) There is no barred gate. The invader has to run along the road, then dive right towards the stairs up to the central gate tower.
Due to the layout of the initial spawning points and the gate towers, this means that the attacking force is effectively shielded from roughly a third - if not more - of the enemy archers at all times due to the layout of the side/central towers, and that any such fire is hardly enough to stop tier 5+ units, whether Foot or dismounted Cavalry.

2.) The Spawn-Point for infantry units within the central tower has them hunker -away- from the narrow stair leading upwards, leaving any attacker more than enough space to get 5-10 soldiers up at any time, which in case of heavily armored infantry spearheads is usually more than enough to break the backbone of that first block of defenders.
Meanwhile, again, due to the layout, the defending archers are unable to fire upon the attackers - neither while standing in the courtyard, as the barrier of stones/spikes is high enough to eat up most projectiles, nor while standing on the towers, as the fighting  is taking place not on the walls, but within an enclosed room.

3.) The vast inner courtyard means that, once the initial defenders are getting mauled, any newly-spawned defending troops have to run for almost a minute, never in time to actually do anything but getting picked off by the attacker's archers, which by now should occupy the gangway up the wall, giving them a perfect high ground to shoot down into the completely cover-free courtyard.

4.) At this point, the attacker can just herd their archers to and fro, shooting the defenders until the archers are out of ammunition, then mop up the rest with infantry, further minimizing losses.

Suggestions: I do not see how to fix this without extensively redesigning the gate/tower area to feature better fields of fire for the archers. However, adding ladders to channel the attackers - with positions for defending archers to shoot any such attackers in the side, as with most other castles/towns - is quite necessary. 

First and most importantly, in my opinion, would be to bar the gate, slap some ladders onto those walls and shift the initial defender spawn-points accordingly, as well as either providing some cover from the upper wall gangway in the central courtyard (so the defender can assemble without getting shot to pieces from their own walls).

---

Thoughts on Uxkhal:

1.) The double-wall set-up, unfortunately, does not work well with Mount & Blade, as the defender is forced, by initial spawn-point, to defend the front wall with half the troops - and it takes ages for the defenders of the back wall to arrive at the front wall due to the pathing AI.

2.) Due to this split defense, there are not enough archers to exploit the considerable vulnerabilities of these siege ladders - shooting people in the flanks from towers jutting slightly forward - as half the troops are at the back wall. This, in turn, means that the enemy assault infantry will be able to arrive in force and good health to punch through the (equally understrength) front wall defending infantry.

3.) Due to the very steep angle of the wall to the ground, the dead zone for back wall archers is considerable making it even more difficult for them to weaken the enemy attackers. Also, it is somewhat illogical for ladders to lean on the back wall already - wouldn't an attacker have to get past the first wall and deploy them under fire then (I assume this is impossible with the WB mechanics, but still).

4.) Spawn-point problem for the defender, again. I do not know if it is the same for everyone else, but with battle size 300, by the time enemies respawn, I have (most of the time) already had my archers pick off most of the defenders on the back wall. I would suggest adding either more stairs, or broadening the stairs at the back wall to make it easier/faster for troops to move up to defend it.

Suggestions:
a.) Keeping the dual-wall system:
Move the front wall forward by several meters (increasing the field of fire for back wall archers), lower the front and back wall by roughly 2-3 meters, thus lowering the deadzone for the back wall. Actually, lower the front wall more, so attacking archers can't just shoot the back wall defenders from now-equal height, and instead end up in an exposed position (more so than on the ground).

b.) Not keeping the dual-wall setup:
Standard ladder siege defense. Archer towers to the side of the ladders, infantry spawn right at the ladders, 2-3 ladders tops. Fairly vanilla setup, but it does work, and actually gives the defender the home field advantage they need.

I must make clear, however, that these are not demands; things are fine the way they are. The player, after all, has a brain they can use, and if that means letting the enemy take the castle/the city, then taking it back, so be it.

Thanks for the fully detailed suggestion and in depth explanation of the problem. Makes my job a hell of a lot more easier that way. I'll take a look and see where it goes.

Veluca siege : when walking on the wall to the left of the siege laders, the image freezes when looking at the town. The game does not freeze though, and when looking elsewhere it goes back to normal. I think i saw this in other sieges too. I'm afraid i'm  not being to explicit, but maybe the problem can be reproduced.
Using Floris 2.53 with WB 1.153.

Here is ok.
mb9.jpg

looking a bit to the left is where it freezes.
mb10.jpg

There is a poll on http://floris.wikia.com/wiki/Floris_Wiki about performance. It would be great if as many people as possible could share their opinion. Even if you sed to play in dx7  dx9 version a go and see if its any better now. Of course you can also leave feedback here

To be perfectly honest I also have that texture problem in dx7 :/ I think its there for everybody. Unfortunately it might be an engine issue and, as such, be out of our hands. How is the performance in dx9 for you? I'm trying to make it as fast and optymized as possible so more people can use dx9

All that post needs are your system specs and precise info on your game options, which produce that performance.  :wink:

Hi guys just made account, I'm glad someone is finally taking notice of this.

When I run on dx 7 my framerate is smooth as can be with almost no crashes. However, I get the weird trees, sometimes just plain whitewhite trees, and strange polygons off in the distance.

8D7EA0015E95D9FAD28C16C8CB2E9F4698FC0775

67AF713E777BC361FCACEA5A2847EF6F8AF0CF9B

when i run on dx 9 my framerate is god awful and i crash regularly, im running a phenom 2 quadcore at 3.4 ghz, 8 gigs of ram. i would think that could handle this mod. the crash is some sort of runtime error, i never pay attention but ill jot it down if  i play on dx9 again.

Back
Top Bottom