SP Antiquity The Punic Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Chilly5 said:
DJNad said:
When I first read this thread name at 1 o'clock in the morning I thought "Oh, cool.... puking wars. We get to vomit at our enemies.....". I thought it might be a mod devoted to silliness, which I would personally love :razz:..... but no *sighs*
Lol, how about a mod about the Pubic wars?  :lol:

HAHAHAHA I can just imagine the various swords.......

*wipes mind clean* But no..... I don't think so.

The Carthaginian army was built around a core of around 8,000 Carthaginian hoplites with Roman armor but fighting in the Macedonian phalanx.

Actually there is no information in primary sources of how this "hoplites" were armed prior the battle of Cannae. But at the battle of Cannae they were armed in a roman manner. There is NO data which could prove that Carthaginians ever fought in Macedonian style phalanx.

rmancrusader said:
Eother said:
Because Spartan weapons are freaking cool.

Yes, I agree!

I dont, spartan weapons were simple, and difinitly not the weapon I would be looking for before a fight, and BTW as far as I know spartan weapons were the same, maybye a but better than the rest of greek stuff, I know this may break the hearts of the fans of that godawful 300 movie :mad:

p.s. I know what was said happend quite a while back, but I havent read this topic till now so yeah,
p.s.s/BTW Narcissus is awesome  :wink:

Good luck with the mod. :smile:

Nethoras said:
I dont, spartan weapons were simple, and difinitly not the weapon I would be looking for before a fight, and BTW as far as I know spartan weapons were the same [as], maybe a bit better than the rest of Greek stuff, I know this may break the hearts of the fans of that godawful 300 movie :mad:

p.s. I know what was said happened quite a while back, but I havent read this topic till now so yeah,
p.s.s/BTW Narcissus is awesome  :wink:

Beat me to it. :grin:

I played Rome total war I might start again but Im 14 and im a big history nerd what I know so far not from the game is Carthage had more mercs then it had of its own people yes as far as I know there were Greek mercs I doubt many were spartan mostly consisting of the Greek city of Syracuse but Germanic tribes also fought in Carthage rank and  maybe even throw in some war elephants which was a major use in Carthage army and some Iberian tribes would be in some Carthaginian  ranks fighting also Carthage inf was inferior to romans so they relied on much flanking elephants and thats all i know and I hope this mod dos not die

First, to those that state that this was a war between Rome and Carthage, thus no other weapons should be included. This is a fallacy.
Their enemy was the Carthaginians, or "Poeni" as the Romans called them (they called themselves 'Ponnim.' The Poeni were extremely wealthy due to their expertise in trading around the world. Their famous cartographer Hanno had mapped western Africa back in 600 BC. The Carthaginians did not field many native Punic peoples in their armies. Their armies were composed of 90% mercenaries. Celts, Greeks, Italians, Balearics, Iberians, Numidians, Libyans. By the way, the name "Libya" meant all of north Africa back then. So with this in mind, it would be rather foolish to focus much on Punic weaponry, but rather the entire spectrum of their mercenary forces during this era. Besides, the Punic War era can be considered a regional large scale conflict, rather than a little war between the two republics of SPQR and Safot Softim BiQart-hadast.

Arms that I see as necessary in such a mod are, with latin glossary:

Italian/Celt:
SCVTVM - Scutum. Shield with bronze-boss (VMBO). For infantry only. From the excavations of  Dura Europos:
DuraEuroposScutum.JPG

VMBO - Umbo. Bronze boss of SCVTVM - Scutum. Mainly for battering after each thrust. Batter, thrust, batter, thrust. That's the rhythm.
milit-shield%20buckle.JPG

GLADIVS HISPANENSIA - Gladius. Short thrusting sword. Adopted from the Iberian peninsula, after and during the Punic Wars.
milit-gladius.jpg

PVGIO - Pugio. Dagger.
pugio-blades-republ-mcb.gif

Oct2005%20(1).JPG

PILAE,PILVM - Pilae, Pilum. Two javelins - one heavy and one light - throw the light one first. For "disabling" enemy shields, making them too heavy to carry - and for killing.
After they are thrown and penetrates a shield, the pila neck is designed to bend making it impossible to drag it out of the shield in a battle situation, forcing some of the enemy to drop their shield.

Here's a modified Pilum with PLVMBATA - Plumbata (Lead). Increasing the impact
plumbata.jpg

spear.png

From left to right: A thin pilum (first throw), thick pilum (second throw), and weighted pilum (plumbata, more impact).

LORICA HAMATA. Chainmail, invented by Celts. No fancy segmented armor or muscle cuirass in the Punic Wars.
IMAG0045.JPG

GALEA / "Montefortino Helmet" - invented by Celts, adopted and further improved by Romans. The Roman imperial era helmets are based off of this old classic Celtic design.
Montefortino:
DIAP_00305a%20Mfortino%20Bologna.JPG
f2005-montefortino.jpg

This is the only helmet appropriate for the Romans in the Punic War period. Observe the following table: http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Helmet.html

Latin word for "horse" is EQVVS.

Celtic/Gallic weapons and arms.
The montefortino helmet, as the Romans.
Celtic "spear" - the "Gae" (pronounced "guy").
Celtic "sword" - the "Bot" (pronounced "Boat")
Celtic "bow" - the "Sota" (pronounced "Sow-tah")
Celtic "sling"- the "iao" (pronounced "yaow")
Celtic "Horse" is "Epos" (pronounced "eep-ohs") Celts had superior horses to the Romans, Roman horses lost in all major cavalry engagements. This was due to the Celtic horse training, and long tradition of their horse breeding programme.

Greeks

Speaking of Spartans, I agree that 300 was a horrid movie. :wink: Xanthippus was a Greek (possibly Spartan) mercenary general hired by the Carthaginians to aid in their war against the Romans during the First Punic War. He trained Carthaginian soldiers and led them into the battle of Tunis, where Carthaginian forces routed the Roman expeditionary force and captured the Roman consul Marcus Atilius Regulus in 255 BC.

Though by this time the Spartans were living in shame as a tourist attraction, and was a mere shadow of their former self. Their generals still knew a thing or two about war.

Sparta was invaded by Roman armies in 192 BC, but the Spartans did not confront them. By this time the Spartans no longer fought as hoplites, and were armed as phalangites like the Macedonians. But this was probably the "what if" chance for Rome and Spartans to fight.

A Later Emperor thought it would be stylish to have a unit of Spartans… except the few pure blood Spartiates were paraded, they were found to be so hopelessly inbred they were physically and mentally feeble.

Rich Romans would go on a "grand tour" of Greece and the East stopping at the various sites many of which we now refer to as the "Seven Wonders" One of those stops would be Sparta which would be the ancient equivalent of a visit to Dodge City today By the 1st Century AD the city of Sparta still existed as a city but would be considered today as the first theme park. Visitors would see a number of young men/boys being flogged and having to run races etc. A military display was also provided but commentators indicated it was more ceremonial than military.

Greek Weapons!
Primary
Dory - the Stabbing Spear
A spear-head:
Aichme.jpg

Secondary. When the spear and shield no longer held:
Kopis - greek slashing sword. Should have high Cut damage.
Kopis.jpg

Xiphos - greek shortsword. The Spartans developed a shorter sword, about 30cm long, but otherwise similar to the common hoplite xiphos.
Xiphos.jpg

Shield
Aspis* (Hoplon means "gear"

Body armor
Linothorax (linen cuirass)
etc

There's a lot to include here!

A M&B mod with this would be awesome.

isn't the scutum a bit later period? those from punic wars should be rather more ovalish..
Also greek round shield is called aspis. Hoplon is a word for gear. Therefore hoplite is a man with gear = soldier.

You are right about the Aspis. The "Hoplon" is a modern misconception. Corrected post.

The word Scutum means simply "shield", and the one you are thinking of was used in that period. You are correct in that they were slightly oval, not entirely square as in this picture. But there are no pictures of the Kasr el-Harit shield online, as you will find. The basic shape of the shield, the umbo, and the rounded shape is the same.

Nethoras said:
that scutums pretty sweet, but I hbeard this mod was deadified... is that just a rumour?

nah, very probably true. Most of the interesting mods die young :sad:

hasta, they used pilum after.

hasta becuase their men of the 1st line called hastati, 2nd line princepes, 3rd line triarii

Back
Top Bottom