SP Antiquity The Punic Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hastati was an anachronism of their name. In the early republic, the Hastati were wielding a melee spear as the primary weapon. Note: The Hasta was not thrown, it was wielded in melee. Later, as the Hastati changed their primary melee weapon to a Gladius, lagging behind in the parallell evolution of the Principes. They retained the "Hastati" name, misleadingly. There were two types of Pilae. The heavy, and the light. And later, the plumbata variant.

Shigawire said:
Besides, the Punic War era can be considered a regional large scale conflict, rather than a little war between the two republics of SPQR and Safot Softim BiQart-hadast.

I knew you had to play Europa Barbarorum to actually care to spell Carthage that way.  :razz:

Hehe. I'm a EB member, and I'm the one who brought it up with EB in my studying the Punic language.
I emailed the professor who excavated that find in Syrthim (Roman "Tripolitania") and he was the one who provided the formal name to me, and then from me to EB team.

Is this mod truly "dead" as people suggest?

slings should be rather easy to do, you just can't change the animation. So you'd have to use either the throw animation, or some kind of a one handed attack. But that would look quite ok I think.

This mod sure is dead. But if there is a scripter willing to work on a mod, people who can model and texture will probably appear and help. Punic wars are quite an interesting theme. You can have formations, the items needed can be either made or scavenged from other mods. The only difficult thing would be the elephants. They are believed to be impossible, but seeing how siege weapons are being made..I wouldn't be suprised if the elephants could be done somehow. Either very small ones as mounts (but those Hannibal used were quite small anyway.) or as moving scene props..

of course in the case of elephant mounts the elephants would make the same sounds as horses :smile:
But I think if this is ever to be done, it wouldn't hurt to start making it even now. The new version is coming for all we know, it might even bring more options to sound adding and the so much awaited animation support. Porting existing material (which would be models and textures and some simple scripts) is not that hard I hear..

Anyone know what the singular of the velites is? in latin

and also what can I port and from where. Do you think I could take something form gladiator - appropriate to the age.

Also should the hastatus veteran upgrade to a princeps or should I make another tree. I'm currently going for the latter.

What about the velites veteran?

edit(once again): troops?

#Hastati
upgrade(troops,"roman_recruit","hastatus")
upgrade(troops,"hastatus","veteran_hastatus")
upgrade(troops,"veteran_hastatus","hastatus_posterior")
upgrade(troops,"hastatus_posterior","hastatus_prior")
upgrade(troops,"hastatus_prior","primus_pilus")

#Velites
upgrade(troops,"roman_peasant","velitus")
upgrade(troops,"velitus","veteran_velitus")
upgrade2(troops,"veteran_velitus","hastatus_veteran","princeps")

#Principes
upgrade(troops,"roman_citizen","princeps")
upgrade(troops,"princeps","veteran_princeps")
upgrade(troops,"veteran_princeps","princeps_posterior")
upgrade(troops,"princeps_posterior","princeps_prior")
upgrade(troops,"princeps_prior","primus_pilus")

#Triarii
upgrade(troops,"roman_veteran","triarius")
upgrade(troops,"triarius","veteran_triarius")
upgrade(troops,"veteran_triarius","pilus_posterior")
upgrade(troops,"pilus_posterior","pilus_prior")
upgrade(troops,"pilus_prior","primus_pilus")

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you could find a person who knows the limitations of the module system to think about the whole concept of the mod. (if you want to do it yourself, that's good, a scripter knows what he's capable of :wink:) Do you want it to have a war system like TLD? two factions Carthage vs. Rome? some side factions to trade/reqruit from/fight on the way? like Gauls, Iberians etc..
What unique or cool features you'd like to implement? and so on. To keep it organized a bit. It sure helped us with 300 mod. If only I had prepared all this stuff when I had the time and motivation :grin: the epic mode would now exist.

I should say I'm not a great scripter. It's very hard to plan everything out now. I personally want to make it so you're moving between scenes so you are kind of a part of the bigger army. So hopefully there will be no world map. But that probably will take a lot of effort. I hope I can make it :grin:

The Roman troop tree:

Code:
#Hastati
upgrade(troops,"roman_recruit","hastatus")
upgrade(troops,"hastatus","veteran_hastatus")
upgrade(troops,"veteran_hastatus","hastatus_posterior")
upgrade(troops,"hastatus_posterior","hastatus_prior")
upgrade(troops,"hastatus_prior","primus_pilus")

#Velites
upgrade(troops,"roman_peasant","velite")
upgrade(troops,"velite","veteran_velite")
upgrade2(troops,"veteran_velite","hastatus_veteran","princeps")

#Principes
upgrade(troops,"roman_citizen","princeps")
upgrade(troops,"princeps","veteran_princeps")
upgrade(troops,"veteran_princeps","princeps_posterior")
upgrade(troops,"princeps_posterior","princeps_prior")
upgrade(troops,"princeps_prior","primus_pilus")

#Triarii
upgrade(troops,"roman_veteran","triarius")
upgrade(troops,"triarius","veteran_triarius")
upgrade(troops,"veteran_triarius","pilus_posterior")
upgrade(troops,"pilus_posterior","pilus_prior")
upgrade(troops,"pilus_prior","primus_pilus")

#Equites
upgrade(troops,"roman_aristocrat","eques")
upgrade(troosp,"eques","veteran_eques"
upgrade(troops,"veteran_eques","decurio"

#Officers
upgrade(troops,"military_tribune","quaestor")
upgrade(troops,"quaestor","legatus")
Please comment and help.

not a bad idea! you mean like a story? through the famous battles (+ not famous smaller skirmishes :smile:) as a part of the army? yeah..might be cool..
So..you want the player to be Roman or Carthaginian? or both? Well, you could build some really cool custom scenes for this..mhm. Might be really good.

well, I can model, but I mostly do highpoly and I use Cinema4D, so nothing for MaB I'm afraid. I can texture quite fine. But as much as I'd love to help, I don't have the time now. Exams and stuff. And I'm also "working" on two other mods :wink:
But I'm sure some people willing to help will show up.

BTW: I actually thought of the concept of going through big battles for an Alexander the Great mod I wish to make sometime in the future. Might turn out really good.

love this picture BTW :smile:

02.jpg

that's hard, cause Hannibal used a lot of mercenaries from different countries. Don't know how exactly you want to divide them.

I'll just have some countries mercenaries and their veterans. BTW thanks for the support.

Do you think that there should be a difference between Celtiberean and Iberian Mercenaries?

Back
Top Bottom