SP Antiquity The Punic Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cool, punic wars mod would be fun!
If you get a scripter, be sure to ask Highlander for his formations code, it should be in this mod.
Also the elephants as mounts aren't possible, but maybe as moving scene props they could be made. I wonder if they could knock troops down like that..

You can't make scene props move, or have animations, I think. I was asking about it in the AoA thread...

No, I just noticed a few days ago, that vertex animation doesn't work on scene props. It seems to be a bug in 808.

DarkAnd said:
THE PUNIC WARS ARE ROME X CHARTAGE THIS DIDN'T INCLUDE GREKS SPARTASN OR I DON'T KNOW WHAT

ps sorry for the high leters i don't want to tip them again
yes the body of the punic wars was Carthage vs romans, but admist the war the romans had a war with several greek cultured nations, such as the macedonians, and dont forget syracuse.

plus its even widely belived hannibal used hoplites.

papacapjack said:
DarkAnd said:
THE PUNIC WARS ARE ROME X CHARTAGE THIS DIDN'T INCLUDE GREKS SPARTASN OR I DON'T KNOW WHAT

yes the body of the punic wars was Carthage vs romans, but admist the war the romans had a war with several greek cultured nations, such as the macedonians, and dont forget syracuse.

hannibal used sacred bands the elite CHARTAGIAn infatry they look like hoplites but aren't hoplites

Chilly5 said:
It appears to me that this guy has forgotten all about carthaginian weapons and armour, and would rather take a Greco-Spartan vs Roma Punic war approach. :lol:
There is not really a standardised definative aproach to specific carthaginian weapons or armour, the nation of carthage used many mercenarys, rest assured though there will be many carthaginian type shields and such, as for weapons, gladius hispania, and falcatas, well there are more then one style of falcata so I hope to get in a few, if you know of any other carthaginian weapons and armour please feel free to elaborate with a reliable source.

DarkAnd said:
papacapjack said:
DarkAnd said:

hannibal used sacred bands the elite CHARTAGIAn infatry they look like hoplites but aren't hoplites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae

The Carthaginian army was built around a core of around 8,000 Carthaginian hoplites with Roman armor but fighting in the Macedonian phalanx.

they were not sacred band, please draw your sources other then the latest RTW game.

Tuckles said:
I was reading about the Punic Wars on Wikipedia and now I've got some questions:

Which of the 3(apparently) wars will it focus on?

Also, I pose the same question as the others: Why are there greek weapons?

It's a battle between Rome and the Phoenician city-state of Carthage isn't it?
it will drop you right in the begining of the 2nd punic war.

Actually, there were Greek mercenaries in Carthage's ranks.
Also, Xanthippus is widely acknowleged as being Spartan.

I totally dig kids throwing in knowledge they learnt from RTW :grin:
Jeez, if you want to learn by entertainment, watch the Hannibal documentary by BBC. There are errors, but very minor.

carthaginians armys were about 3/5th mercenary.

consisting of:

iberians

Numidians

Lybians

Greeks

Celts IE: gauls, ect

mercs from the Balearic isles

Sicilians (greeks mostly, but some others too)

Samnites

Tingitanians

Mauretanians

Many others but too lazy to list

Merlkir said:
I totally dig kids throwing in knowledge they learnt from RTW :grin:
although alot of is was fabricated for the purpose of the game. :sad: The Old kingdom egyptians pissed me off. i wanted Ptolematics, not Ramses II!!

fortunately, mods fix this. :wink: especially XGM and Roma Surrectum.

Having no knowledge of the Punic Wars, save the fact that Carthage used many a mercenary, I will agree with you on the possibility of Greek mercenaries in the ranks of the Carthagian army. I doubt, though, that they made up enough of the army to give so much focus on.

I suggest just a few Greek swords, shields, spears, or whatever you can get from other modders, and focus on the Carthagian and Roman weapons.

This is all my opinion though, discard it if it pleases you.

RTW is about as historic as Shakespeare about the general Mediterranean. It's great fun though. Oh and don't watch the Rome Documentary from BBC because it got loads of flaws. Interesting to read Livii's Roman History while watching the film or Flavius' Bellum Judaica (i think its called that), when watching it. It exposes major flaws in the reasoning.

sounds tite man, punic wars is some interesting stuff, id look forward to playing this if it is made. although i think itd be cool if the on-map game was more strategic, such as manuevering around the mountains and stuff.

papacapjack said:
Chilly5 said:
It appears to me that this guy has forgotten all about carthaginian weapons and armour, and would rather take a Greco-Spartan vs Roma Punic war approach. :lol:
There is not really a standardised definative aproach to specific carthaginian weapons or armour, the nation of carthage used many mercenarys, rest assured though there will be many carthaginian type shields and such, as for weapons, gladius hispania, and falcatas, well there are more then one style of falcata so I hope to get in a few, if you know of any other carthaginian weapons and armour please feel free to elaborate with a reliable source.
Yes...but what's your excuse for SPARTAN items? Sure Rome and Carthage had greek mercs, but I highly doubt many, if any, to a notable degree, of spartans were among their ranks.

Rather, you should list iberian items, and what's with the khopesh? And the chariot?

I don't know if this was pointed out already but a chariot would just be a scene prop (Unless maybe you want it to gallop around like a horse, and there would be no horse pulling it.)

When I first read this thread name at 1 o'clock in the morning I thought "Oh, cool.... puking wars. We get to vomit at our enemies.....". I thought it might be a mod devoted to silliness, which I would personally love :razz:..... but no *sighs*

DJNad said:
When I first read this thread name at 1 o'clock in the morning I thought "Oh, cool.... puking wars. We get to vomit at our enemies.....". I thought it might be a mod devoted to silliness, which I would personally love :razz:..... but no *sighs*
Lol, how about a mod about the Pubic wars?  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom