[WB][M] Ballista

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJay

Master Knight
Hello, I'm developer of the Mercenaries mod (www.mbmerc.com). Now I'm trying to implement a small deployable ballista/great crossbow. The code is almost ready but I'm not an artist and I can't create a good mesh and texture. That's why I'm asking you to make the resources. Mercenaries is an open-source project so everything will be available for the community. If you're interested, please look the details.

Video: http://youtu.be/A62J4Ls3Mgs

A ballista consists of 5 scene props:
ballista_base - static
ballista_middle_part - rotates around Z (vertical axis)
ballista_upper_part and ballista_upper_part_ready - controlled by a camera
ballista_winch - rotates around X
m_ballista_small.png

It should be a medieval ballista, not a roman scorpion. It could be something like this (source):
great_crossbow.jpg

Triangle limit: 2000
Texture size: 1024+

Well, sry, I stopped reading after "mercenaries is...", because I though he would give a mod description there and I know the mod already. I never knew that it was completely open source, though. Has been some time since I played.

You just need this skinned, correct? 

If yeah... I could see trading time doing that nicely for having the code nicely packed up for OSP;  I think a lot of people could use this. 

Big question: can bots use it?

Holy balls, I hope someone helps the man along because that's damn snazzy. Not just the code to achieve it but also that you have it go into a 'first person' mode that'll make aiming incredibly easier compared to some of the more rough and tumble attempts at artillery type pieces in the past.

I think it may be possible to have the bots use it, just somehow code it so an AI stationed on the gun behaves like he's an archer.

xenoargh said:
You just need this skinned, correct? 

If yeah... I could see trading time doing that nicely for having the code nicely packed up for OSP;  I think a lot of people could use this.
I just need a mesh and a texture. It's better to make a new great crossbow but also you can make a low-poly variant of the existing mesh.

xenoargh said:
Big question: can bots use it?
No, bots can't use it because I'm making it for the multiplayer mode. But I think it shouldn't be very hard to "teach" them how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom