Day Z - an ARMA2:CO mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Mauno

Grandmaster Knight
I searched a bit and found no mention of this mod on the forum, so here it goes:

Day Z is a persistent world multiplayer zombie survival mod for Arma2: Combined Ops. The mod is developed by a Bohemia Interactive developer and is updated almost daily with new features and bug fixes.

I think there are 9 or 10 servers in Europe, 5 or so in the US and 2 in NZ with more servers  popping up once in a while because of the increasing player base. The servers run at real time adjusted to the time zone where the server is located and I think they have dynamic weather, but so far I've only seen a ton of clouds.

I've been playing it for the past few days and I have to say its the best Arma2 mod I've ever played. The servers I've visited have been largely lag-free, even with 800 zombies and 50 players. The zombies have motion capped animations and they respond pretty well to nearby sounds. Fire a gun in the middle of a town and you will get swarmed by a dozen or so Zs.

Day Z is the first true zombie survival game/mod I've ever even heard of as it includes hunger, thirst and some other things like that. So basically you have to scavenge villages to get food and medical supplies.

It is played in 35-60 player servers and uses the Chernarus map. There are hundreds of zombies scattered in all the towns around the map, and there's all kinds of loot to be found in the villages, army camps and airfields.

You spawn with only a pistol, some cans of beans and a couple of bandages, so navigation is a little hard at first, if you don't know the map well.

Scarce supplies lead to quite a lot of PVP action, especially along the southern coast of Chernarus, where the largest cities are located. Killing other players  lowers your humanity stat, and at some point changes your character model to that of a bandit. Most people just shoot bandits on sight, which kind of sucks because kills in self defense also lower humanity.

So yeah, there are still some bugs and the servers get pretty laggy once in a while ( quickly fixed by a server reset ), but its still a great mod and totally worth testing if you have ARMA2 and Operation Arrowhead.

Large screenshot, watch out. My brother and I killed a few dozen zombies in this factory area, was pretty intense.
1445E08E12E1D5FB430E055AD3B565A4B6C7EA6F
Damn, this is a wall of text... Sorry.

Remember to install Arrowhead too, you need to launch Combine  Ops to play it.

Also, one thing I forgot to say in the first post, is that when you get killed, you lose all your gear and spawn back on the coast and since it is ARMA2, death is highly likely.

Where does food and supplies spawn? I used to play a zombie mod frequently, but food was only in trash cans and weapons only spawned at sheds. Can you steal from the super markets and such?

I tried it, I wasn't really that impressed. It is a very rough alpha and kind of boring since the servers are all real time and its always night on the NA ones when I have time to play.

You are more likely to die by glitching on a ladder and falling to your death or get PK'd than killed by zombies.

Absolutely amazing. Worth buying the game for.

I hope there will be a standalone/expansion on the ARMA3 engine which is better optimized, though. The waiting times to get into a server can be quite painful.

socks said:
Absolutely amazing. Worth buying the game for.

I hope there will be a standalone/expansion on the ARMA3 engine which is better optimized, though. The waiting times to get into a server can be quite painful.

If by better optimized you mean sky-high requirements :smile:

Just downloaded this mod, gotta work out how to install. That's one thing I dislike about ARMA, the mods are more complicated than Warband's.

Wheem said:
Sounds interesting...what happens if you get bit by a zombie? Is it a one-bite-and-you're-infected/dead type thing?

You bleed and start losing blood rapidly. If you lose too much blood, you start fainting randomly and if you lose all your blood, you die. Players regain blood by eating or getting a blood transfusion, but that requires another player's help.

Waiting for server response

receiving data

Saw some gameplay footage of it, looks awesome. Wish I had ARMA or the computer to run it well. :razz:

Never played ARMA2 but I know there is a free version of this game. Now my question is: do Arma2 free work with this mod?

Back
Top Bottom