Newbie question?

Users who are viewing this thread

doomdoging said:
*grumples* where did i leave that cattle prod.....  but back on topic what relgion do you plan each of the vanillia factions to follow
We made up 7 new religions for the next version but we still haven't worked out there differences.

Nothing like some faith troops.

Machinegunner archers are my favorite ones. Though it is easier to take on garrisons with the lord-chasing trick.

Yeah, in the new version Religion is going to extend way beyond just faith troops, and have (hopefully) all kinds of impacts. Right now (among EVERYTHING else) we are trying to work out what effects in general religion will have, then we can work out how these effects will be different for each given religion!

LibSpit said:
Yeah, in the new version Religion is going to extend way beyond just faith troops, and have (hopefully) all kinds of impacts. Right now (among EVERYTHING else) we are trying to work out what effects in general religion will have, then we can work out how these effects will be different for each given religion!

In all cases try to avoid anything that resembles real religion. To put this into perspective, I've looked at the streets of Mosul from Kurdish controlled territory. For the first time in millenia, today Mosul stands empty of Christians. This is in direct contrast to the specific wishes of the Prophet Mohammed as written in the Koran. We're all stocked up for holy war in the real world.

There is a real temptation in these games to make the death addicts super powerful because they get such great costumes in the comics and they prey upon your fears. I would avoid this temptation when at all possible. Real death addicts in the real world get wiped out to the last man in invasions. Happened to the Assassins, happened to the thugees, and for the Ninja advocates...the sands of Iwo Jima took many more lives than throwing stars. Just for a giggle, make the death cults small minded jerks that hide in the darkness and are just a group of like-minded sociopaths. This will also avoid anybody pointing fingers at this mod the next time some sociopath decides to kill schoolkids.

The relationships between the religion are the more important story and practical impact on the scenario. If you doubt this note the small doctrinal differences between Anglicanism and Catholicism compared to the history of violence in Ireland. This is a war game, not a theology seminar. Trust me that this community is much better qualified to handle war than religion intelligently.

Ahistorical. This is our strength. 

Yeah to be honest this whole statement was probably completely unecessary and probably just did many of the things you were saying we should avoid doing...

All the religions are completely fictional, with fictional theology, history, and deity, you will be able to find some similarities with real life, because, well, real life and history is a great source of inspiration, but beyond the broad concepts of monotheism, polytheism, reformational splits (within a theological group) Centralised and decentralised hierarchy, etc. This is all just made up.

The idea of religion and ideology is so central to systems of power and human identity, that really a 'Medieval Kingdom Simulator' needs to have Religion as one of the 'Balancing Elements' that a King or Queen must consider and/or use to maintain there upward trajectory to ultimate power and dominance!

We will have somewhere in the region of 13 religions to balance and differentiate.
Which has already begun, what we don't yet have is the basic framework of what religion will do and effect broadly across the game.

Aren't your faith troops more like a properly integrated military elite...

Currently though, it is interesting since the main way to convert people is by taking over their homes, probably via force, and then building structures to reorient their way of religious thinking, which is apparently inevitable given enough time.

Yes the basic role of faith troops is as the top tier Military unit, (A concept that probably won't rerally change as it works) but religion as a whole is going to play a much larger role and have a much larger effect in the future. Right now it is just about happiness and super units, it will eventually involve more.

Atridij said:
B-b-but I waited 2 years...
I'm just not done with it yet. I wish I was but I'm not. Also I'm trying to get at least a concept demo released but it'll be half baked if I only make a demo showcasing a certain game-play feature of the mod.

Back
Top Bottom