8th Line Battalion, King's German Legion

Users who are viewing this thread

Saboteur100

Knight at Arms
kgl.gif

HISTORY OF THE 'KGL'

The King's German Legion (KGL) was a British Army unit of expatriate German personnel, 1803–16. The Legion achieved the distinction of being the only German force to fight without interruption against the French during the Napoleonic Wars.

The Legion was formed within months of the dissolution of the Electorate of Hanover in 1803, and constituted as a mixed corps by the end of 1803. Although The Legion never fought autonomously and remained a part of the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars (1804–15), it played a vital role in several campaigns, most notably the Walcheren Campaign, the Peninsular War, and the Hundred Days (1815).

The Convention of Artlenburg, also called the Convention of the Elbe, signed on 5 July 1803, dissolved the Electorate of Hanover. Consequently, the Elector's army was disbanded. Many former Hanoverian officers and soldiers fled the French occupation of Hanover to Britain; George III, the deposed Elector of Hanover, was also King of the United Kingdom. The same year, Major Colin Halkett and Colonel Johann Friedrich von der Decken were issued warrants to raise a corps of light infantry, to be named "The King's German Regiment". On 19 December 1803, Halkett's and von der Decken's levies were combined as a basis of a mixed corps (includes all arms: mounted, infantry, artillery) renamed the King's German Legion. The KGL infantry were quartered in Bexhill-on-Sea and the cavalry in Weymouth, Dorset. Some units were involved in a street fight in Tullamore, Ireland with a British Light infantry unit in the so called Battle of Tullamore. The number of Officers and Other Ranks grew over time to approximately 14,000, but during the 13 years of its existence, close to 28,000 men served in the Legion at one time or another. It saw active service as an integral part of the British Army from 1805–1816, when its units were disbanded.

HISTORY OF THE '8th LINE BATTALION'

The 8th Line Battalion of the King's German Legion was raised during the year 1806 as the last out of eight line battalions that the Legion levied in total. It was only half completed when the British Expeditionary force withdrew from Hanover early 1806 and subsequently filled up as recruits became available.

The battalion was initially grouped with the 7th Line Battalion of the Legion. It served from 1805 until 1816 in Ireland, Walcheren, Copenhagen, Sicily, Peninsula and Belgium.

On 18 June 1815, during the Battle of Waterloo, the battalion was nearly wiped out during the fighting in the center of Wellington's battle line and lost a flag.

OUR GAMEPLAY STYLE

I'm making this regiment really only for me and some friends, but anyone is free to join. We're not a serious regiment (no practices, no teamspeak, etc), just a group of friends who want to play NW together as the "German Line Infantry" unit in the British army. We will play any and all game modes, just whatever we feel like.

Faction and unit preference (For members)

[list type=decimal]
[*]United Kingdom - German Line Infantry (Obviously) [EXAMPLE: You join a game and the two factions are the UK and ANY OTHER FACTION. You choose UK and German Line Infantry.]
[*]Prussia - Freikorp Infantry [EXAMPLE: You join a game and the two factions are Prussia and any faction OTHER THAN UK. You choose Prussia and Freikorp Infantry.
[*]Austria - Line Infantry
[*]Russia - Line Infantry
[*]France - Line Infantry (We'll basically never play as France unless we have to)
[/list]

ROSTER

8thKGL_Hptm_Karl (Hauptmann - Captain, the leader of the battalion) ['Saboteur100' on the TaleWorlds forums]
8thKGL_Ltn_Czar (Leutnant - Lieutenant, second in command of the battalion) ['Suspicious Pilgrim' on the TaleWorlds forums]

If you want to join...
You have to act at least somewhat mature and be fluent in English. There's zero pressure on members... We don't have weekly trainings, and playing with us is only voluntary.

fingerniklas said:
There is already a 5thKGL regiment, they have been around for a wile now and active

Lolwut? I didn't see them on the Regiment List.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found them. Apologies to the 5th, I had forgotten about them.

WE ARE HEREBY RENAMED THE 8th Line Battalion, King's German Legion!

fingerniklas said:
Ye, they arent on there, but they are active still in NW

They're on there, they just don't have "KGL" or "King's German Legion" in their name, which is why I didn't find them when I page-searched those phrases.

best of luck from germany - I do reenact the 2nd Light Battalion of the KGL in reallive and in NW I m member of the 5th KGL  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom