Mount and blade: Warband wont start up on steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

When I try to start up warband on steam, the window saying "preparing to launch mount and blade: warband" appears for second or two, then simply closes without starting the game. If anyone can give me a fix for this problem it would be great. (I have re-installed it and done a few other steps to try and fix it, nothing has worked, thanks :grin:).

I'm having the same problem, I just updated steam and now it wont work.
It just keeps on auto canceling when It prepares to launch the game.

When I went to Steam yesterday it downloaded and installed an update to Warband.

Today I can run Warband, but the sound keeps dropping out.  Both on the world map and in combat.

Also at one time I during a large seige battle I started to get script error statements in the area where the killed and wounded items scroll.

I have verified the cache.

Something about this new update on Steam (it says v. 1.151) seems to have screwed things up.

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I've been playing all day, but it crashed to desktop (as it has been wont to do of late) and then suddenly it won't even boot. I get the steam message saying it's preparing to launch, the program shows up in the task manager processes for a few seconds and then just disappears. I've tried reinstalling it, purging my system of all the data related to it I could find and then reinstalling it... nothing. I even turned off my virus scan in case there was a conflict there. Baffled and frustrated. :sad:

Update: Shutting off all my startup processes as suggested in the stickied "bible" did get my game to boot again. I haven't narrowed down which process is the problem yet, but it's definitely something you all should give a shot. Still baffled by it working earlier and then suddenly starting to conflict with a process when I think steam's the only thing that updated today and that was long before it stopped working for me.

Im glad you found a solution, it doesnt work for me though :/ . Later I will give a quick edit on things ive done to fix the problem (that havent worked, but that might work for you >.<). Also, heres the "stickied bible" In case anyone else wants to try this. Its under the section titled "clean boot" http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,107644.0.html

chrissycostanza said:
I tried that clean boot thing but it didn't work

Again, as I said, it didnt work for me either, but it might work for someone else :razz:. It would be nice if we could get some staff to help here...

I had same problem.
I'm reinstalling last version of DirectX from Microsoft site (dxwebsetup.exe).
Now all working.

Sir Cheswick II said:
When I try to start up warband on steam, the window saying "preparing to launch mount and blade: warband" appears for second or two, then simply closes without starting the game. If anyone can give me a fix for this problem it would be great. (I have re-installed it and done a few other steps to try and fix it, nothing has worked, thanks :grin:).

Having the exact same problem, I bought the M&B pack two days ago and installed them all using steam. When I click play for warband, the exact same thing happens 'preparing to launch...' and then nothing... just nothing :'(

I've also bought the napoleon DLC and I REALLYYY want to play this game, looks friggin' amazing!

Thanks

1. Go to \Documents\Mount&Blade Warband\ and find the file rgl_config.txt
2. Rename the file rgl_config_bad.txt
3. Try to start Warband...it should run.
4. If it does run, go to http://bugs.taleworlds.com/edit_bug.aspx?id=3720 and upload the file rgl_config_bad.txt so the devs can see what went wrong and hopefully fix it in the next patch.

Yeah, so i tried to look in my documents folder and there's nothing there at all for mount and blade, no files what so ever. I did the exact same thing on my laptop, downloaded steam, installed the M&B collection and it worked first time, went into documents and everything was there for all the games, however my laptop is really crap and lags alot when playing them.. yes it really is that crap, so I need to get it running on my desktop.

I dont understand why on my desktop the files arnt there :S any help?

I can play the origional Mount and Blade but can't save SP games, it comes up wit the 'error cant save game!!!'
As for the others, they wont even load up after clicking play :S

Moore124 said:
I can play the origional Mount and Blade but can't save SP games, it comes up wit the 'error cant save game!!!'
As for the others, they wont even load up after clicking play :S
Right...well then it can't save because the Documents folder where it is supposed to save doesn't exist. I'm guessing you've tried verifying the cache with Steam/reinstalling?

yeah there's no folder to save whereas their is on my laptop =/

And yeah, ive tried verifying and saving numerous times, with no luck :sad:

Well, you could try to create the folders manually, I suppose. Not sure if it will help or not

In <Username>\Documents\ there should be the following folders:
Mount&Blade Savegames
-+Native
Mount&Blade Warband
Mount&Blade Warband Savegames
-+Native
Mount&Blade With Fire and Sword
-+Savegames
--+Ogniem i Mieczem

(with -+ indicating a nested folder)

Back
Top Bottom